New Octy vRS brakes

What do people think of standard ones ?

To be honest I'm not sure if mine are a little week...well at the initial pressing stage anyway. It seems you have to press a bit before any real bite.

Is there anything that could be possibly causing this eg maybe need to be bled ?

Theres about 6.5k miles on it now, and too be honest I thinks its been like it from day one. I drove one of the lads cars at the weekend and he noticed a big difference with mine. I noticed a bit alright but when I drove his I wasn't really braking hard.

Thoughts appreciated :thumbup:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sound the same as mine..they are not as instant as the mk1

but they still bite hard as you press hard...just more progressive it seems to me

you stamp on them and the car stops VERY quickly..you lightly press them it more gradual

I dont have a vrs (2.0 TDI sport) dont know how much difference there is in the brake department? but my brakes are rubbish.

Ive had this on the Octy mk2 I owned before and it turned out the master cylinder needed replacing, I could actually press the pedal down to the floor (easily) and the brakes were not very sharp at all. Now its happening all over again with this one, if I press the pedal to the floor the brakes are very sharp and the pedal feel remains hardish for the next couple of miles but shortly after they return to their normal soft state. It does seem like air is entering the system.

May not be the same thing you are experiencing with your vrs but probably worth getting it looked at.

Do you want me to drop over to compare?

What would that prove :confused: I need like for like i.e. another Mk2's opinion.

Its bad enough having to get dealer to sort out the seat rattle without having to listen to them on about the warranty implications of a brake upgrade :rolleyes:

What would that prove :confused: I need like for like i.e. another Mk2's opinion.

I just thought you'd want another opinion from an unbiased source. the brakes for the Mk2 aren't too much different from the Mk1 anyway.

Its bad enough having to get dealer to sort out the seat rattle without having to listen to them on about the warranty implications of a brake upgrade :rolleyes:

Brake upgrade ? Me? :D Sure they know well what I do to it...

Anyway, I'm sure that if you compare your car to a demo model there would be some difference, if you've noticed something.

Its probably some air in the system. I'd get it looked at, so for some piece of mind.

I just thought you'd want another opinion from an unbiased source. the brakes for the Mk2 aren't too much different from the Mk1 anyway.

I thought you meant compare yours to mine.

Its probably some air in the system. I'd get it looked at' date=' so for some piece of mind.[/quote'] and probably get the...They all do that response !!!!! :rolleyes:

Mine seems to have a fair bit of movement in the pedal before it starts biteing, any idea of what could be the issue ???? Would they need bleeding ?

Give them some abuse fella, they may just be glazed up...

Theres 6.5k miles on her now....I reakon they are well bedded in

Mine are almost exactly average, they feel quite soft and weedy initially but if you give them some stick they do the business.

I had to do an emergency stop this evening in the pouring rain and it was nothing less than impressive. Bear in mind I always have about 150 kg's of stuff in the boot.

its probably air in the system.

thats kinda what I'm thinking. If it is the case there was air (to use the quote above) would they they "feel quite soft and weedy initially but if you give them some stick they do the business". or would they be **** the whole time.

• 1 year later...

Well after over a year and having driven half a dozen vRS I'm sure that my brakes are not right. I've had a few vRS owners drive mine and they would be in agreement, I even got a mate to drive mine, then drive another vRS and he noticed it, he even reakons his 4 year old Lagunas brakes have more bite than mine :(.

To make matters worse they have been tested and passed. Anyone know how these testing systems work? Would they test at different intervals of pedal travel or do they just check at fully on?

I think they are gonna test another vRS (well I hope they do) to see how the figures compare.

I actually got into one vRS and tapped the brakes....I nearly slid off the seat, such was the retardation compared to mine. Theres been a couple of occasions when I needed brake sharply and I was a little worried on stopping, they really lack feel.

Main symptoms are,

Theres no initial Bite

Pedal seems to need to travel about an inch to an 1.5 inches before you feel any type of stopping (other vRS seem to start to bite the second you hit the pedal).

Even after pressing the pedal in its not that strong.

The mk1 would always jerk you forward a little with a dab of the brakes, the mk2 has never done this.

Have you checked for Air in the system? It also maybe a faulty brake master cylinder.

I haven't check, don't really want to touch them myself. If there is air then its there since day one.

In the 6 hours of driving I managed to do in mine before some numpty tail ended me, the brakes felt far superior to the Std one's in my Mk 1 Vrs.

They certainly stopped me in plenty of time on the M6 yesterday morning when I had to perform an emergency stop when the traffic came to standstill, which cannot be said of the one's on the Audi A4 that hit me!

I find mine to be pretty good. Have proved useful in a couple of quick and heavy braking required due to Motorway numpties this past week...

They seem better/on par with my Track Car, which is fully stripped out and considerably lighter than an Octy 2... ;)