Whos has a USB VAG-COM cable from EBay?

Goochie

Do you use a USB cable bought on EBay?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a USB cable bought on EBay?

• Yes, it works fine
    • Tried one and it failed to work
    • I have a genuine cable

The engine light has come on again on our Octavia. The VAG-COM cable a former colleague made for me has packed up (and was a serial cable anyway)

So how many people have bought a USB cable from an ebay seller and got it working OK?

If you have, please state the ebay ID of the seller (if you have it)

url deleted - the guy's honest and it works fine with provided slightly older software (see site). More than enough for my needs....

Whatever you do - don't try to upgrade the firmware - the newer software will destroy the interface. I was advised this by the guy and thank goodness did not find this out by misadventure.

I have tried to find an answer to this question on the forum but haven't found a clear cut answer: Is it possible to remap the ECU using one of these cables? And If so what software would you use to do it? Also are there generic maps available (like the ones Jabba would use?)

I have tried to find an answer to this question on the forum but haven't found a clear cut answer: Is it possible to remap the ECU using one of these cables?

I wouldn't try it with the cabe I bought, perhaps with a geniune one it would be possible.

I got my cable from ebay, came from the states. The guy had instructions on his eBay shop. The cables are not plug and play you need a driver for them even if your running Windoze XP.

i think mines off Ebay , i bought it off Fluffmiester and i'm sure thats where he got it from , works ok on my Fabia VRS , had to sort out the correct comm port to use on the computer so was a bit of a pain at first , haven't got fully opened software though

i think mines off Ebay , i bought it off Fluffmiester and i'm sure thats where he got it from , works ok on my Fabia VRS , had to sort out the correct comm port to use on the computer so was a bit of a pain at first , haven't got fully opened software though

It is m8

I got it from a seller called "Virtual Village" iirc from Ebay, it came from China and once the com port was sorted it worked fine.

I have also used a serial cable with a keyspan USA 19HS usb / serial adapter without any issues.

Got mine off ebay - it reads the ABS but nothing else

Keep getting the baud rate sync error - I have tried resetting rate to 9600 and lower but still no joy

Have not left feedback for seller as I do not know whether it is the cable or me - Cable made in China - it would have been useful had it stated this in Ebay add - maybe I would have thought twice - cost about £20 inc post

Anyway the car is in to the local garage tomorrow to "clear the fault and turn the light off" - I hope

Car runs OK - no probs - has done for miles - so maybe it is just (sensitive) emmissions

Interestingly I rang the local dealer - (unfortunately a salesman picked the telephone up) - I said the EM light is on - he said - Oh you need a new "part" - £80 plus labour!!! - just makes you wonder - dose this warning light really serve any purpose? apart from VW et al and the dealers using it to put the "frighteners" up the unsuspecting motoring public

Mine only seems to read engine and ABS.. maybe something to do with the trial version of the software rather than the cable?

Nope, the software doesn't care which module you want to connect to - so if there are other diagnostic capable modules that you can't connect to, it's definitly a interface related issue. :P

Right - I got a cable off Ebay - some seller called something like Ecafe.

He doesn't respond to emails.

Finally got the cable working.

Go to Autonostics.com and download the driver.

download VAG-COM version 409.1

Don't test the USB - check each COM port.

Mine came up as COM3 but wasn't quite right.

In device manager expand the serial ports. It should be obvious which one is the cable - mine was COM10. Change the properties and force it to the one VAG-COM found (COM3).

I also slowed it down to send and receive at 128.

Not everything is available for the Octavia but on one tab you can select to automatically scan controllers for different cars. This will also show you the controllers it can scan so you can go back and check individually.

Oh and don't expect it to show no errors! Like I did!

DV pressure, window motor, climate control intermittent faults.

GGGGGGGGreat!

Just hope this is useful 'cos ecafe wasn't.

Well my cable arrived today from the dishonest chap and the deleted URL mentioned on the first page of this thread. Uwe will be pleased to hear it did not come with a CD of software.

Will try it later and see if it is any better than the one I bought previously on EBay.

• 2 weeks later...

The naughty bit is actually in the cable Phil, later versions of the software require a registered cable to act as a dongle.

I have a genuine cable myself, I use it a lot so it kinda pays for itself really. It allows me to use the latest versions of the software which has some nice new functions.

That cable will not come with authorised Ross-Tech software.

You can use the trial version or buy a license from Ross-Tech for around $100

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VSWR&Category_Code=VAGCOM

With that you'll be limited to version 409.1 which is probably adequate for your needs.

Thanks for the response Stu,

I understand it's not an "official" cable and have already downloaded the software and drivers (version mentioned) so I will buy it and see what happens.

I don't mind paying a bit for the license if I need it but I don't need the all singing and dancing latest version, just wanted some reassurance that this one will do what I want! (Object to paying shedloads for a cable with a bit of electronics in it that cost's pence to make once developed!!)

Matt

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested.

Got my cable today, tested with the software downloaded from Ross-Tech and the drivers provided by the ebay seller, all seems to work great :thumbup: .

I'm still in serious novice mode so I won't be posting I have this in the map sticky but if anyone needs any help in my area I'll be glad to attempt to assist! ;) .

Matt