Octavia Mk2 VRS suspension and wheels

Hi,

Anyone commented on the new VRS not being as low in the suspension dept. as the Mk1 ? Also is it just me but do the Mk1 spoked wheels look better than the Zenith's that are fitted on the Mk2 ? Just a couple of nagging doubts I have... Sorry if this has already been discussed but i've been away for a while..

Cheers

C .

I test drove a Mk II VRS recently (I own a Mk I) and was extremely impressed, particularly by the handling and smoothness of the ride. Both have improved. The wheels certainly LOOK easier to clean. Watch out though: the newer models all have RED brake calipers, as opposed to the green ones we all knew and loved.

I would second the :thumbup: for the suspension! Have just been on holiday with 4 adults and a kid in my vRS as well as four full sized suitcases (each weighing about 30kg) hand luggage and it never bumped or bottomed out!! Have to say though that it did look better with the rear sitting lower!!

Not sure that for my driving a suspension kit would be much good (despite the better looks), my brother-in-law has tinkered with his new A3 3.2 DSG Quatro and put on an Bilstien kit with eibach springs, the car is low and handels like a go cart, but it bangs too much for my likeing and he is having to have the rear arches rolled so that he cam fit the wheels & tyres he wants (has also fitted a Brembo break kit)!

All too much at the mo for me, but who knows, if miony was't an option I think I would play about!!

10883.attach

I test drove a Mk II VRS recently (I own a Mk I) and was extremely impressed, particularly by the handling and smoothness of the ride. Both have improved. The wheels certainly LOOK easier to clean. Watch out though: the newer models all have RED brake calipers, as opposed to the green ones we all knew and loved.

Glad the new wheels are easier to clean, I'm feeling happier already:)

My dealer has mentioned about the red calipers, don't the Golf GTI's have red calipers?

Are Skoda using the same ones? ..

C.

Well the MKI VRS was so low it used to take itself out on anything and everything :)

Agree with that mate. I even manage to scrape mine when pulling out on to a

main road. And yes the wheels are a sod to clean, but I still love driving it.

I had a demo vRS the other week and was pleased with the improved ride, brakes, road holding etc but missed the kick from 1800 rpm from mine. :)

I used to scrape the bottom of the front air dam but blamed the garage driveways for dipping too much at the kerb. Mk 1 seemed to have too much understeer too, and a more clonky gearchange.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Anyone commented on the new VRS not being as low in the suspension dept. as the Mk1 ? Also is it just me but do the Mk1 spoked wheels look better than the Zenith's that are fitted on the Mk2 ? Just a couple of nagging doubts I have... Sorry if this has already been discussed but i've been away for a while..

Cheers

C .

I agree with the comment. In terms of ride height, the three VAG models on this chassis are (in order of 'lowness of ride') Octy (highest) Leon (lower) Golf GTi (lowest). I'd like to know if the Golf in particular uses different springs from the Skoda - it defintely has less of a gap under the arches.

By the way, I've noticed the Mk2 vRS does settle down on its springs with the miles. Visited a dealer and the showroom car looked on stilts (probably still had its transit blocks in place) whereas the demo car was a good 10mm lower (standard springs) and looked more hunckered down.