Best way to measure a gram of powder?

walkie

Good Evening Skoda Fans,

What's the best way to accurately measure a gram of powder? I was thinking about scales etc if anyone has any recommendations? Or is there a magical way of doing it with teaspoons perhaps??

Any suggestions would be great :thumbup:

It seems most protein powder type suppliers include a 1 gram measuring spoon with the pots. Can't find any kind of volume indicator.

With water - 1 litre weighs 1kg usually.... So in theory 1ml weighs 1 gram. Got any digital scales? Maybe measure out 10 grams on an accurate set of scales, then split into 10 sections with a credit card. ;)

yeah but surely two different powders would weight different amounts.... say for example 1 gram of lead takes up less space than 1 gram of polystyrene. so how could you use a spoon or a measuring cup??
Aye that's what I thought :rubchin:

Good Evening Skoda Fans,

What's the best way to accurately measure a gram of powder? I was thinking about scales etc if anyone has any recommendations? Or is there a magical way of doing it with teaspoons perhaps??

Any suggestions would be great :thumbup:

Yer know im *sure* youve asked this before!!!:rofl:

Edit... yep you did!:rofl: :rofl:

If you need to weigh accurately (say +/- 10%), you will need pharmacy scales or an accurate small high res digital (say a 0.01 to 100g) set. You can often find 5:1 ratio arm pharmacy scales used and these will give you accuracy down to 0.05g generally. An enclosed 1:1 ratio set with a good bearing will get you to 0.01g. Any more accuracy than that and the cost goes very big unless you can find an old mechanical high res scale and figure out how to use it. Balances you can buy in a little case from your local head shop are not accurate enough. Electronic stylus balances are though if one can be adapted. They start at around £30.

Not that I would know anything about accurate weighing of powders;) , but my lab had 0.00001g resolution up to 100g weighing gear which cost a fair bit and a 0.01g resolution up to 35KG which cost a large bit. The high res 100g balance went haywire for days whenever there was an earthquake anywhere on earth.

Chris

Check out durascale 50 on here:

Weighing Scales

Assuming this is a serious question, Walkie, I can't believe that manufacturers sell (or you would buy) products which cannot be accurately measured. You'll forgive my stating the obvious, but the thalidomide disaster was caused by using the wrong quantities. In that case it was n spoons of one product and 1xspoon of the other and seemingly they got them the wrong way round. That was 60 years ago.

Go back to the manufacturers, though the suppliers should have this info of course. No smiley here.

Mo

Assuming this is a serious question, Walkie, I can't believe that manufacturers sell (or you would buy) products which cannot be accurately measured. You'll forgive my stating the obvious, but the thalidomide disaster was caused by using the wrong quantities. In that case it was n spoons of one product and 1xspoon of the other and seemingly they got them the wrong way round. That was 60 years ago.

Go back to the manufacturers, though the suppliers should have this info of course. No smiley here.

Mo

Of course it's a serious question, hence being in The Roadside Hotel :confused:

The amount you take of these amino acids vary on what kind of training you are doing. I require 2-3g of one, 4g of another etc, whilst rugby players for example require higher levels due to their training.

A 1g scoop would be a good idea from the manufactures though.

Guess digital scales are the way forwards.

See, I'm thinking that any sort of scales where loose powder is being placed would leave a deposit once tipped out (given a grams's not a lot). I'm wondering if a local pharmacist or hospital pharmacist might be able to help :rubchin:

Mo

Not if you place the container that you are going to 'mix' them together in on the scales before you turn the scales on :thumbup:

James, if you can wait until Friday, you can have mine - I don't use them very often now anyhow :)