Flat battery and locked out

EddyH

I don't think that one's going to fly. The mechanism is one of those where the actuation is done by the sheath of the bowden cable rather than the inner. The inner is clamped still and the sheath moves (stop s******ing at the back there).

Also the mechanism moves sideways which will make it difficult to achieve enough leverage. Lastly, the lock is above the slam panel, so there is no access from the grille.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More pics from underneath, almost impossible to get a good picture though...

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

I havent got an undertray on mine for some reason...

The easiest thing to do is reach up from underneath, feel for the first cylindrical item, then above that there will be another one. You can just see the bolt where the terminal is connected to, and a plug next to that.

The cover will lever off with a flat blade screw driver

does the lock not turn or does it not do anything?

the boot is no good anyway though is it as it isn't an actual lever that you pull rather than a switch? i could be wrong though.

i'm gonna go out and look at my car to see if i can find an answer eddy :)

The cable is indeed well hidden in there and while you might be able to catch it the thing doesn't look promising from that pic.

Don't suppose ther eis any chance of a pic from behind the catch is there so we can see back face of it.

Those two torx bolts look mighty exposed mind, but i bet you can't get to them :(

just been out to look and as said above the catch ain't gonn happen. you could get to the lever but all that does is release the secondary catch and not the actual lock, the cable that operates the lock is tucked in behind the slam panel as mentioned earlier with no way of getting at it, the only thing that was wrong about the cable was that the out stays still and the inner does the work ;)

i took some pictures of the starter as it does look to be the only way in, you will need the car jacked up at the front so you can lay under it then reach up the front by the fans, about 6 - 8 inches above the air-con pipes is the connection you want, i took the best pictures i could and i hope they help. the cable pictured connects directly to the batteries live terminal with a thick cable so should be a fine point to connect to, then just stick the earth on the block somewhere solid as it isn't painted like the body is ;)

batteryconnection1.jpg

batteryconnection2.jpg

I thought it was behind the slam pannel and still reachable. Looks that way on my octy, but i don't have a camera to hand.

If you can give the starter cable option a go then sounds like a safer option.

I have my camera with me, but I am not allowed to use it on site (MoD site), but I might be able to take a few pictures when I get back to my parents tonight and post them of the bonnet latch....

grr.... replied to thread way too late!!!

If none of this works then this is a final but costly solution.

Phone autoglass etc make sure they have a side window in stock and that it isn't too expensive. Put some sticky back plastic on the outside of the window then hit it with a hammer. The glass should mostly stick to the plastic, which you can then pull out and open the bonnet release.

All in all not an attractive option, and since the coat hanger trick is out, I would definately try that connection on the starter.

• 2 weeks later...
How did you get on, Eddy ?

I got in but using a different solution. I took the blade out of my spare key, put it in some mole grips and used it on the boot lock and managed to get it unlocked.

I bet you will be keeping your boot lock well lubricated (and tested) from now on....!

It wasn't actually that stiff, I think maybe the problem was I couldn't fully insert the key due to the plastic surround.

Are you considering undelocking - if there is such a word - your car now?

No, it's staying as it is. I would rather have the slight inconvenience than leave my car vulnerable.