So what do you guys do for exercise?

Lady Elanore

Fastest time for a 10 was 21:32 :)

Is that 10km, or 10 miles? My best time for 10k was about 17 minutes when I used to ride properly. Never rode any TTs measured in miles, so I don't know what my 10 mile time would have been (around 25 minutes, I suppose) The result I'm most proud of was Edinburgh to St Andrews (approx. 65 miles) in 3 hours 12 minutes. My widger went numb that day from riding so hard for so long :eek:

No such ability / motivation these days, though... :(

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being fit is good.

:iagree: I'd love to be back in the kind of shape where I could run 5 1/2 minute miles and cycle at speed for hours on end - it's the getting fit bit that I have the problem with... :o

I’m disappointed in you Colin :orb_jump_ just look at the amount drm Jones does and he thinks he doesn’t do enough :D

Dont worry the 2007 jan briskoda de-tox will still happen... think i was the only one still on the wagon for that last year :rofl:

I love cycling, but I've found that my rear end has got a bit wider, and my saddle is still a damn narrow thing with no padding. Think it's time for a change. ;) Apart from the mountain bike, I try to walk as much as possible, but in general I just try to stick to a decently varied diet (curry one night, chinese the next, then chips... ;)) and simply try not to a right lazy booger.

I think next year I shall be trying a little more cycling. They're meant to be opening an "estuary cycle path" which means I'll be able to cycle from me on the west side of the Exe Estuary, right up to Exeter and down the other side to work in Exmouth, at the mount of the Exe on the other side. At least it will be flat. :D

Exercise? Sometimes I walk to the Chinese instead of driving. Does that count?

I do try and get in a two mile walk in my lunchtime. It's not much, but better than nowt I suppose. But lately I've taken to going for a drive at least two days a week, so what little exercise I get is now even less :(

Must get back into swimming. Must get back into swimming. Must...

well, my drinking arm gets plenty of exercise:D seriously tho, I am really out of shape.

I would rather just not eat than exercise, and thats really bad I know:eek:

I am not too fat, just under 9 stone and 5 ft 3, (i'm a girl) but I really must start doing the right thing and eating properly and exercising (in the New Year) :rofl:

Well, I'm definitely not "fat" - got the skinniest arms ever, but I'm still the good side of 13 stone, probably about 13 and a half now, but thankfully I'm also somwhere around 6'1", so no worries that I'm outside my good height:weight ratio.

:iagree: I'd love to be back in the kind of shape where I could run 5 1/2 minute miles and cycle at speed for hours on end - it's the getting fit bit that I have the problem with... :o

admit it does take some effort but i feel better for it. hopefully by aug i will be in tip top shape. 6pack sort of back

:...- it's the getting fit bit that I have the problem with... :o

The getting fit bit is a real pain in the a$$ - especially if you have had a high level of fitness beforehand. It is so demoralising when you think that in your fit state you could do that distance so much faster and not feel totally dead at the end etc

I have just got back to a proper state of fitness - I am probably the fittest I have ever been but it has taken about a year and a half to undo the 5 years spent at university :rolleyes:

If you do want to get fit you just need to stick at it and set sensible goals otherwise its all too easy to give up.

I’ve always been a bit scrawny which is not a good look when you are 5’9’’ but I find that I now put weight on lower down and when I exercise a lot, I lose weight off my face first and then my upper body which is exactly what I don’t want. I think by I’m 60 I’ll have the centre of gravity of a paper weight and a face like a horse suffering from malnutrition

Oh and Jec, your weight sounds spot on to me:thumbup:

Has anyone done one of those bleep tests where you run between two markers and have to get there before the bleep. Mr P had to do another one yesterday and had to get to level four I think. He did up to six and then stopped because he didn't need to go on. I don't think I would even reach level three :o

Has anyone done one of those bleep tests where you run between two markers and have to get there before the bleep. Mr P had to do another one yesterday and had to get to level four I think. He did up to six and then stopped because he didn't need to go on. I don't think I would even reach level three :o

Yep - I've done one of the bleep tests, I think I managed level 11 or 12 before before failure :P

I find those bleep tests (or multistage fitness tests to give them their full name ;) ) really tough as the accelerate, slow down, turn, accelerate ... totally destroys me towards the end

I have done one type of bleep test. Many years ago a friend who was trying to get into the Firebrigade challenged me to try their bleep test and I scraped up to level 12. But to put it into perspective the top level was 20! I think Seb Coe and Paula Radcliffe would have struggled at that even.

You must have a very high aerobic capacity Lady E - level 12 corresponds to a V02 max of about 54 ml/kg which would put you in the top category for a female according to the available information online.

bleep test analysis

I was a lot younger and an awful lot fitter in those days, but perhaps the levels weren’t as severe as the ones in your link. I’m pretty sure the distance between markers was the same but I can’t verify the timings on the cassette we used, or the accuracy of the cassette players replay speed. I was cycling 20-30 miles on 5 nights a week and a longer ride at the weekends. I also mixed intervals in on my runs and trained with a very strong guy I used to work with. I could easily drop him on long inclines like Holme Moss and eventually could drop him on the flat, but he always killed me in sprints, even when I got a run on him.

Is that 10km, or 10 miles? My best time for 10k was about 17 minutes when I used to ride properly. Never rode any TTs measured in miles, so I don't know what my 10 mile time would have been (around 25 minutes, I suppose) The result I'm most proud of was Edinburgh to St Andrews (approx. 65 miles) in 3 hours 12 minutes. My widger went numb that day from riding so hard for so long :eek:

No such ability / motivation these days, though... :(

10 Miles mate