Official: LTD ED FABIA vRS

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite simply, because the Mk1 Golf GTI had no competition.

I don't agree with that.

The Alfasud 1.5 Ti was great competition, and it came out before the GTI.

Shame they all rotted away :(

I don't agree with that.

Talbot Sunbeam

Ford RS 1600

Ford RS 2000

Seems it was pioneering, it didn't rust as quick !

Alfasud 1.5 Ti
Talbot Sunbeam

Ford RS 1600

Ford RS 2000

Front wheel drive, hot hatch, based on popular mass-produced car. I still say there was nothing quite like it. The above were the nearest, but not as near as the competition for the Fabia VRS.

The Mk1 Golf GTI came from the original design for the standard Golf a car in which itself has classic standing. Well deserved as well because it was able so carry on from where a previous classic left off (Beetle)

Your right in saying there were some competitors for it but imo none did it as well or with such consistant quality.

We now live in a mundane, lazy age were a standout performer is seldom seen. Platform sharing and taking an engine from X and shove it in Y is all very uninspiring imo. Fine 30 years ago (Audi to Mk1) but I think we've moved on sufficently to be able to push the envelope a little more.

When a good car comes alomg it is GREAT! When a great car comes along possibly the best car in the world.

The meaning of greatness (I'll include hero, celebrity and superstar in this) has been cheapened due to overzealous use to describe the slightly better than normal

It takes something special to be truly, classically classic. You seem to have fallen in to the marketing trap that if something is good - very good in needs placed on a pedestal so the designers can charge more the next time they draw a new body to go over the previous years mechanics.

I agree the Fabia vRS is a very good car (otherwise I wouldn't have bought one) but to say it is anything more is rather blinkered.

Paul.

I don't agree with that.

I am showing my age but I had a nice black Alfasud 1.5Ti 1982 and it was just 3 years old when I bought it, Also had a Mk1 Golf gti 1983 both fun cars when you are in your early twenties (Insurance was ok in thoses days) they would both look cool now in good standard condition.

The Mk1 Golf GTI came from the original design for the standard Golf a car in which itself has classic standing. Well deserved as well because it was able so carry on from where a previous classic left off (Beetle)

Your right in saying there were some competitors for it but imo none did it as well or with such consistant quality.

We now live in a mundane, lazy age were a standout performer is seldom seen. Platform sharing and taking an engine from X and shove it in Y is all very uninspiring imo. Fine 30 years ago (Audi to Mk1) but I think we've moved on sufficently to be able to push the envelope a little more.

When a good car comes alomg it is GREAT! When a great car comes along possibly the best car in the world.

The meaning of greatness (I'll include hero, celebrity and superstar in this) has been cheapened due to overzealous use to describe the slightly better than normal

It takes something special to be truly, classically classic. You seem to have fallen in to the marketing trap that if something is good - very good in needs placed on a pedestal so the designers can charge more the next time they draw a new body to go over the previous years mechanics.

I agree the Fabia vRS is a very good car (otherwise I wouldn't have bought one) but to say it is anything more is rather blinkered.

Paul.

Will the Blue special be a very good car, or will it become a past excercise in making more money from over-keen buyers. Williams Clio springs to mind !

I hope they throw everything from the parts bin at it, and find a very nice set of wheels to make it really stand out. If they do, ten years from now when you see one, you wil remember the day they broke cover.

I guess they wont, on costs alone :thumbdwn:

Yup, it would be an opportunity to bring out a totally memorable sports hatch as a parting shot to the model. It will have long paid for itself but I suppose Skoda's concern is they don't want it topping the new model which will have to charge a premium for similar kit.

"lets face it", seems to be said alot here. fact, the car is limited, my deposit is down, and its not going to depreaciate half as much as a standard vrs. limited edition is no way going to lose more money!! if you think for one minute that a limited edition car of anysort will not be desirable, you suck, and you have no understanding of the fact of men, and the love of having something thats1 of 1000!!!

Some wheels like this would be nice for the special

eBay.co.uk: VW Polo Fun 17 Zoll BBS mit 215/40 ZR 17 Dunlop (item 180081475766 end time 11-Feb-07 21:16:47 GMT)

If it comes with the standard vRS wheels, it won't look all that special from the outside, other than metallic Blue paint !

its not going to depreaciate half as much as a standard vrs.

Says the guy trying to justify his deposit on the car he knows little about ;)

if you think for one minute that a limited edition car of anysort will not be desirable, you suck, and you have no understanding of the fact of men, and the love of having something thats1 of 1000!!!

To desire a limited Porsche, Ferarri, niche or cult marque then fair enough but a diesel Skoda........hmm.

Again, it's a good car but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

"lets face it", seems to be said alot here. fact, the car is limited, my deposit is down, and its not going to depreaciate half as much as a standard vrs. limited edition is no way going to lose more money!! if you think for one minute that a limited edition car of anysort will not be desirable, you suck, and you have no understanding of the fact of men, and the love of having something thats1 of 1000!!!

You are from Wales eh?

That explains a lot:D

come on guys ...objectively someone may desire to have a limited edition VRS. I can't see what is wrong with this opinion? people are different they may not want or can afford other marques, there was one time I desired to have a clio 1.2 16v. nothing wrong with that from a 1.1 G reg fiesta

What he says is right it won't depreciate as much but still it cost more to start with so it's like for like.

It will depreciate as much in real terms but maybe not in % terms due to the fact it costs more in the first place.

If you seriously think its going to be a classic are you going to keep it and run it for 20-30 years? I think not if you did the milage will be vast and on that alone it would be worthless.

As for limited & retained higher value well that surely depends on how many they make, if its say 100 units then maybe it will be worth more. If its 1000 units much less.

Look at the M/N reg BMW M5 these are selling at between £3k-6k and within that price range is the fact there was a 3.4ltr and a 3.8ltr straight 6 engine, in addition to that there was the run out model the Nurembourg - which had much better suspension better seats wheels etc. These are highly limited in RHD only 50 made and these would have cost £55k when new maybe £5k more than the std one. However 12-14odd years later there is hardly anything in it price wise. People buy on condition.

Look at the 996 porche the Turbo cost £90k new and now you can buy them for upwards of £43k (for a 7 year old car) yet the GT2 cost £125k yet you can pick these up for £50k upwards. The GT2 is limited in quantity and a very special car indeed however its the used market which dictates its value not the fact its in limited supply.

It boils down to what makes it a limited edition. If it's fancy paintwork and a sticker saying 'Limited' it won't be worth much more than any other outgoing model vrs. If they decide to make an uncompromising looney mobile on the other hand, it will certainly find a market.

Traditionally all makers (not just Skoda) try limited editions to boost long in the tooth motors. If it's a fair price and a good spec, go for it, but with your head engaged over its real worth.

Erm, I may be missing something huge here, but why would you buy the old model with the new one a few months away? Won't it be worth about 2k less within six months?

because the new model VRS looks awful, I'd rather have the present shape:D

because the new model VRS looks awful, I'd rather have the present shape:D

That's a fair point, though I'll reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh. The current model has a kind of pugnacious look and the 07 version is a bit more Fiat, eurobland imo. If they can squeeze more interior room out of it, good luck to them. Against that new bodies always (okay, nearly always) make older versions take a hit pricewise. I'd have to absolutely love the present Fab to buy one so close to the updated one coming out.

Some people seem negative about the Roomster but that seems more about whether you like the Kangoo/Berlingo type vehicle than an anti-Skoda stance. The new Fabia seems okay without pulling up any tree stumps.

yes i am from wales, but lets not titty tatter, some guys seem to be comparing this limited edition to 55k cars, some in favour some not. fact is the car will be limited. meaning not many of them... even if they do produce 1000 of the little blighters thats not allot, After all, the original Fabia accounts for half of all Skodas on the UK's roads, and a total of 1.5 million have found homes around the world. so 1000 is a rather small figure. i can see why this car wont be hugely desirable, but if i said to anyone that i wanted to sell my limited edition in a years time, and you had the option to buy either a limited or a standard, i know where your money would be going?? into my pocket, yoink thank you very much. and no doupt, i wouldnt be out of pocket, were as if it was one of the lesser, end of line STANDARD vrs id see a grater depreciation.

all the best

yes i am from wales, but lets not titty tatter, some guys seem to be comparing this limited edition to 55k cars, some in favour some not. fact is the car will be limited. meaning not many of them... even if they do produce 1000 of the little blighters thats not allot, After all, the original Fabia accounts for half of all Skodas on the UK's roads, and a total of 1.5 million have found homes around the world. so 1000 is a rather small figure. i can see why this car wont be hugely desirable, but if i said to anyone that i wanted to sell my limited edition in a years time, and you had the option to buy either a limited or a standard, i know where your money would be going?? into my pocket, yoink thank you very much. and no doupt, i wouldnt be out of pocket, were as if it was one of the lesser, end of line STANDARD vrs id see a grater depreciation.

all the best

lol limited edition of 1000 units...

The Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo only ever sold 7000 units in the UK and worldwide 70,000 that could mean it may become a classic due to volume alone.

Like I said earlier though the M5 Nurembourg which had significant extras over the normal M5 cost new a lot more then std model but now its hardly worth much more & there were only ever 50 RHD versions.

The Lotus Carlton is deemed a "classic" but that only ever actually made 450rhd cars and its a classic due to the fact it was the only 4 door saloon to crack 180mph and even today that still stands for a "mass" produced car.

lol limited edition of 1000 units...

The Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo only ever sold 7000 units in the UK and worldwide 70,000 that could mean it may become a classic due to volume alone.

Like I said earlier though the M5 Nurembourg which had significant extras over the normal M5 cost new a lot more then std model but now its hardly worth much more & there were only ever 50 RHD versions.

The Lotus Carlton is deemed a "classic" but that only ever actually made 450rhd cars and its a classic due to the fact it was the only 4 door saloon to crack 180mph and even today that still stands for a "mass" produced car.

the lotus carlton isnt deemed a mass produced car, lotus themselves produced a limited version of the vauxaul carlton, and produced it during the days that european car manafacturers had agreed to produce saloons that had a max speed of 155. but lotus/vaxaul threw a spanner in the works and made the lotus carlton. it is a classic purely due to the nature of the car, its a vaxual carlton, made mad by lotus. lets face it the vrs is a car that is in my eyes a bargin, bit of a sleeper on the road, but with them making a limited edition, those few cars will become more desirable than a standard vrs. choice of say 1000 reds, 1000 yucky yellow 1000 blacks, 1000 silver vrs's in the free adds evening post, auto trader, car auction, carmarthen journel!!!!! or oooo whats this a blue 1/1000 leather limited edition. lets have a look at the blue one daddy. i want it!!!!!

get where im coming from??

If it doesn't come with a sunroof, I will be cancelling my order, and spend the money on my current car.

No point having a lower spec car than the one I have now !

It has aircon (like the standard vRS) and therefore has no requirement to have a sunroof.

It has aircon (like the standard vRS) and therefore has no requirement to have a sunroof.

No requirement !

Does aircon let the sun shine on your head in the summer, I don't think so !

Does it let more light into the dull cab on a dreary dayI don't think so !

It's My car, I'll have what options I wan't, otherwise it isn't going to be my NEW [b car :D