which octavia?

I'd go for the 2.0, it's smoother and a better drive (IMHO) ;)

I've got an 05 plate Octy II 2.0 with DSG and my wife has a 54 plate VW Golf GT TDi 2.0 with DSG, neither of us hang about and I get around 45mpg average in the Octy and 47-48mpg in her car which I guess could be down to the greater overall weight of the Skoda

I came to the Octy from a BMW330d automatic and to be honest, off the line and up to 60mph the Golf/Octy don't really lose out at all in real world driving and I actually prefer the instant pick up of the DSG compared to an older normal automatic, hope this helps :thumbup:

for fuel economy 1.9, but only 5 gears

for fuel economy, but a quieter, and i think better drive and newer engine 2.0 PD140. That plus you get 6 gears.

for a nice fun drive, the 170 is excellent, and i really don't think it is peaky at all compared to say an old IDI turbo diesel (eg XUDT)

As lummox says, best thing to do is get to a dealer

And another for the 2.0 litre, though I am wanting more power now. Im getting close to remaping and im even more tempted now my dealer is doing it again:D gives me a little more comfort warranty wise.

Which dealer and what map?

I love the 2.0 the power delivery is so much better. However fuel isn’t so good. My 1.9TDi 130hp L&K with a 6 speed box regularly gave me 55mpg and better on my daily 150mile round trip. I struggle to match it in the 2.0 L&K 50 mpg is more like it. The 2.0 is nearly 4 months old now with 11Kmiles on the clock it is the better option, I wish I could have had the DSG but my boss just would not pay the extra. He offered me cars that cost more but were of lesser spec. This is Octy no 3

I drive a 1.9tdi for work and have the 2.0tdi for my personal car!

The 2.0tdi is a smoother ride and I find my self taking it more easier in the 2.0tdi but when I need to push it hard its got the power.

The 1.9tdi is fun to drive as you can push it to its limits and not be dangerous, but its lacks power and excitement.

But then again...for fuel economy the 1.9tdi wee's all over the 2.0tdi! But its not always about that!

Hi, No doubt the 2.0 is faster & more power, but the 1.9's no slouch either, and a good load lugger. Not been disappointed with mine, ploughs down the autobahn with wife, kids, camping gear & roofbox no bother. Its really plenty for normal use and so relaxing to drive. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the 2.0 TDI for six months and would like to try the 1.9 as I basically got the 2.0 as I had the money, but sometimes wonder if I would have been happy with the 1.9. All the reviews say the 1.9 is a fine engine. The 2.0 definitely gets better with age though and pulls strongly when you need it.

The 1.9 is great, don't be put off by the 105bhp... it shifts, but is let down by the 5 speed box. On motorway runs I have never got close to the mpg I used to get on my 6 speed Fabia VRS.

The 2.0 is a cracking engine in 140 bhp guise, especialy with DSG, and would be my choice if I could aford it

Hi chums, I'm about to buy my first Skoda, an Octavia diesel estate should I go for the 1.9 or more powerful 2.0?

Regards Monkster.:)

Umm, lift the bonnet and buy the one that says "made in germany" or even better "made somewhere a long way east of here"

I think I'll go for the diesel...the Honda Accord,thanks for all your advice chums.

Hey, Woah, Hang on; Did I miss something here - where did the Honda Accord come from?

Go for the MK1 Vrs Octavia as a good start. :D Mine cost less to insure than my old 53 plated vectra by about