Will cruise control stop me driving like a c**k ?

Belcher

Hi everybody.

With 224BHP at my disposal, and more and more travel time lost due to horrendous traffic problems everywhere, it is IMO far to easy to get carried away with the loud peddle. I am starting to worry about my licence!

I was thinking about having Cruise Control retrofitted to my Mk1, and wanted to know if I could program in limits. Let's say, set a max speed of 120Mph (only joking - but you get the idea!)

I am by no way a speed freak. Acceleration is my thing, but with fast acceleration, speed is all too easy as you get their very quickly before you know it.

Here therefore lies another question. Who does retrofitting of this in the Midlands? - or is it a dealer job.

Cheers Peeps

No, hth. You can still press the throttle with the cruise on. :D

Realise that mate, sometimes comes in as a shock when the CC returns to the previous setting ,,,,,, brain is thinking ,,,,,, slowing down now and all is safe ,,,,, Craep hits the fan when you remember you were going at zoom speed in the first place. :eek:

So the answer to the original question is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no. But sod it that's what I got the car for. :thumbup:

OK thanks chaps. One final question, and please don't flame me for this possibly daft question - I have to ask !!

Assuming that retrofitting C/C requires work on the ECU, is there any risk that this could screw up a remap ??

Cheers

OK thanks chaps. One final question, and please don't flame me for this possibly daft question - I have to ask !!

Assuming that retrofitting C/C requires work on the ECU, is there any risk that this could screw up a remap ??

Cheers

It only requires a simple recode. Shouldn't interfere with a remap.

Cruise control is great in 30/40/50 limits where the incline of the road can be sufficient to carry to over the limit quite easily with minimal throttle. It's also good for long haul motorway discipline . . . if you refrain from moving your right foot 3" to the left from it's foot rest. :rofl:

Agreed, Cruise Control doesn't really slow you down. It sets your minimum speed, not maximum! I wish it had a speed limiter on it because that would be really useful.

Maybe I should just wait until the turbo blows up, that'll slow it down a bit :rofl:

J

It's a great tool, I find. I've been after a car with it for ages, because if I'm driving one that doesn't have it I find I just keep overtaking cars until I'm hovering around the ton, but CC means I can keep it down and not worry about the rozzers.

Well worth it as a factory option, and depending on cost probably worth doing as a retrofit.

I read that you should always turn Cruise off in wet weather - if you hit standing water, the system can feel the wheels slow, and chuck the power on to get you up to speed again - and it can all go horribly wrong, but it seems on the web that there are debates about this being an urban myth.

I had a Peugeot 407 hire car a while back and that had a speed limit setting on the cruise... never actually switch it on so didnt test it but it was there none the less.

Criuse is something i love now... every car i've driven in the last 6 months has had it and it would be a must on any car i bought from now on...

I thought it was easy to break speed limits in the vRS though even with the power the car ran before i sold it... the problem i found is that because the car is relatively smooth in its power delivery you dont really notice the speed you are doing... its only at speeds over 90mph on the motorway that you "feel" the pace you are doing.

Thats all changed now i'm driving a diesel mondeo...

I have a speed limiter on the cruise on my Merc, i never use it really , it will only stop you creeping over the limit anyhow if you floor it gets overidden

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be going for it then. Regarding the c**k driving, I guess I'll just have to keep it down :(

Where do you set the speed? Are there just a few presets on the stalk, or does it plumb into the LCD display on the dash?

Thanks guys

P.S. If your reading this Lummox, can you mail me? Ross CC'd you on an email back to me regarding fitting this - Cheers.

P.S. If your reading this Lummox, can you mail me? Ross CC'd you on an email back to me regarding fitting this - Cheers.

What you mean is Stu CC'd Ross on an email back to you :P :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be going for it then. Regarding the c**k driving, I guess I'll just have to keep it down :(

Where do you set the speed? Are there just a few presets on the stalk, or does it plumb into the LCD display on the dash?

Thanks guys

You press the 'set' button on the left stalk when you're travelling at the speed you want. You can incrementally adjust the speed on the stalk, or resume at the last set speed too. It's disengaged when you press the brake or clutch pedals.