Would you buy another Octavia?

I've had mine six months and would get another. Only minor irritation is I can't open the bonnet, but will leave that till next dealer visit. Why - its comfortable, fast, good handling, I feel safe in it. Massive boot and hatchback are handy for me. I bought mine from Simpsons in Colne, some of the other dealers look less good. Also I think the radio/CD/MP3 is good.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the car I have, but i'm not sure about a second. No doubt the Skoda is brilliant value for money. Fingers crossed, when i come to buy again, i will have alot more money to go for some of the more expensive marques!

Yes I would buy another one. Want a vRS next! Reliable and comfortable car and I've been lucky in that any minor problems have been sorted by the dealer quickly and free of charge.

Yes unless something as well specced, as big a boot and cheap comes along. Anything? Anyone?

It will either be an Octavia L&K, vRS or Scout. Then again the new Superb will be out by the time mines up for replacement so that could be in the running!

Faulty brake light switch so far over 37k miles and 19 months.

To add Ive had no problems with the dealers, the one in Winchester & Southampton have been excellent.

The thing thats really soured it for me is when we had a major problem with the Superb, Skoda customer services actually said we cant help you & then explained to me that if I wasnt happy that I should sue the dealer who supplied the car as my contract was with him, not Skoda yet the problem was nothing to do with the dealer, We actually own 3 Skodas at the moment, 2 Octy 1's & the Superb. We considered ourselves a loyal customer but Skoda are only interested it taking the money so unfortunately other marques will be considered next time or maybey the Octy 3 when that comes out. Ive heard too much bad press about the 2 to risk it. Our loyalty to the brand will only be because of a fantastic dealer in Winchester where we are treated well & little panics with the older cars are somehow always fitted in at short notice. Perhaps Skoda need to take a few lessons from how some of their better dealers treat customers.

Skoda Im guessing you are reading this, PLEASE listen to your customers, remember the satisfied customer is the best salesperson you will ever get !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are looking for a new family car for long journeys, camping, towing a lightweight boat, the usual family stuff and are considering a New Octavia.

The question for current owners is would you buy another? I'm interested in thoughts about reliability, practicality or whether you've just got plain bored with it but basically a yes/no will do to help me decide. Thanks.

absolutly yes

1st Skoda was a Mk1 octivia - 40K in 2.5 yrs and cost only 2 tyres & 1 service.

now have a mk2 - 30k in 18 months, 1 service, 1 tyre and CC fixed under warranty

wife has a Fabia 1.4 pd, 20 k, 1 service and never missed a beat.

delighted with dealer service (Chatham, Edinburgh)

Not sure... Bought the Octy 2 2.0tdi Elegance almost 2 years ago. 3 series BMW too expensive after toys added, Honda accord estate competent but ugly as sin and new Passat was too expensive. Looked at Octy VRS estate Tdi but the price has crept up quite a bit whilst VW passat estates are now plentiful and they seem more willing to deal. Must try Passat to see if they are better assembled (without the built in squeaks and rattles!!)

Another Skoda: Yes, definitely

Another Octavia: Don't know

For me, the Octy I/II cabin isn't big enough as the main family car. But the Octy III will be with us by the time I next change, so will consider that when it arrives. New Superb will certainly be in the frame. And maybe Octy or Fabia as second car - this needs to be a runaround AND fun, and the RS models do that perfectly IMHO.

In terms of dealers, I've had nothing but excellent service from mine, and I know the two other localish dealers are well regarded too.

Am on my second Ocky, Had a Mk 1 1.9TDI Elegance for 4.5 years and nearly 80,000 miles. Very reliable.

Current car is a Mk 2 1.9TDI Elegance, bought Sept 1 2004. Nearly 35,000 on the clock. Had a few niggles early on, all fixed and now car is fine.

It is a delight to drive and will definitely be replaced by another Ocky unless the Mk 3 is substantially larger than the Mk 2 in which case it may be a Fabia or equivalent.

Family's other cars, my wife drives a Fabia 1.4 and my son drives a Mk 1 Ocky TDI.

The car must have some very good points as when I drove across Germany some 18 months ago I was amazed at the number of German registered Mk 2 Ockys on the autobahns.

Hi

Am picking my Octy mk2 vrs on Saturday, had a mk 1 vrs in 2002 did 65k in her over 2 1/2 years, apart from coil packs had no probs.Then had Superb 1.9tdi same 20k problem free.If you want problems buy an EVO or BMW had both and spent fortune in repairs.Ok when running sweet but when they go wrong you need very deep pockets

So have seen the light and am glad to be back in a Skoda,great cars and great service from my dealer Hayselden in Doncaster:thumbup:

Steve

After running an Octavia 2.0FSI Elegance estate for just over a year, I moved onto a 2.0TDi Sport.

I have to say that with all the problems I've experienced with the present car and the lack of customer service from Skoda, this will be the last one.

I might buy another VW or Audi, but I would NOT buy another Skoda for the following reasons, unless things improve:

1) The dealer network is sparse, not well-established, and are mostly jumped-up amateurs, so the chances are that you'll never get anything fixed properly first time. My experience of the local VW dealer over many years prior to having my Oct-II was excellent if not cheap.

2) Skoda UK are amateur dabblers with no ambition for excellence, just a too-big ad budget. I doubt they listen or do much; might as well be furniture, doughnuts, crockery - they're all just products they don't really understand. Mind you, with VW, if the dealer isn't on the ball, VW-UK are hopeless, money-grabbing sharks - they also have no tradition of looking after the individual consumer (or having sensible UK pricing) compared with the experiences I had with VW-USA (remember failing coils, electric winder winders? check what VW-US did compared with VW-UK).

3) Skodas cars seem to have dropped in quality, some are fine but too many have issues - I don't like inconsistency. I think the new Octavias are just a little too complicated for them to build them right, and certainly beyond the dealers. I think the Skoda bubble has burst. They are certainly over-priced now.

4) Check out warranty claim stats; JD Power stuff is very misleading. All Japanese brands are better, with Honda having about a quarter of the number of claims compared with Skoda.

5) Generally you will find annoying costs savings applied to Skoda Octys compared with equivalent Golfs. This, plus the service network, and depreciation, throws into question whether Skodas are worth it.

6) I can't speak for all models, but my Octy2 2.0 Tdi is comfy on the motorway, but you really can't say more than "worthy but dull". Handling is mediocre, very nose heavy, clunky, and with not very refined and dirty engines (only one version, AFAIK, having a particulate filter or oxidizer, which ought to be compulsory on all diesels).

My first one was brilliant, a 1.9TDi estate. 70k miles with only a lightbulb replaced and that was done under warranty!

The current one, I really like the car, it feels a million times better than the Ford equivalent and the Vauxhall too. I couldn't afford a Honda Diesel, and the Avensis was impossible to track down. Too many bad stories about the Passat, and they're really dear, so another Skoda it was. Besides the last one was so good....

This one really feels like a quality car now the clutch has been sorted. I had a new one put on last week, under warranty, then ended up being towed home because the garage hadn't tightened something down properly and it sounded like the gearbox was about to self destruct. Oh the same garage fixed the noisy door seals, but left me with a water leak on the passenger door instead....

It's the dealers letting the product down at the minute, although the story with my family's fords, my wifes nissan and friends various others has been little different.

I probably will buy another, if this one continues to impress. I shall just try to find a good dealer that isn't miles and miles away.

Blimey, I hope Skoda UK are listening. It seems the Octavia is a worthy car, if a little dull, let down badly by their dealers. If I was spending my company's money I might buy one but as it's my own I'm going to keep looking.

Our two Felicias have done almost 200k between them on pocket money maintenance and I'm worried if we spend proper money on a Skoda I'll be disappointed. My wife gets hire cars as she requires them.

I'm going to do some serious test driving of different makes before I commit.

Skoda Im guessing you are reading this, PLEASE listen to your customers, remember the satisfied customer is the best salesperson you will ever get !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or remember to turn the lights out when you leave the building.

I hear all the Korean and Chinese companies are recruiting...

China will stomp the complacent VAG in 5-7 years.

Blimey, I hope Skoda UK are listening. .

Powerless and meek Skoda-UK droids - this is your chance to prove you exist.....

Speak now or forever endure our contempt.

Fess up. Trash your bosses if you need to. They'll never know or care, but we may end up respecting you....

Absolutly great! im on my third skoda in just under three years and i have punnished them but have always had it serviced.

never a fault on the fabia 1.4 sport, 1.9 tdi ambiant and now the 2.0l fsi octavia sport, absolutly great on the autobahns in west germany everyday. in three months the VRS octy will be ordered with all the trimmings and a remap if poss for added fun for all the family.

TAX FREE SKODA FROM CARSDIRECT (BFGCARS.COM) - this is not publicity just a really good experiance and i would highly reccommend or the skoda dealer (dennis houghton & sons) in lincoln.

gooooooooooo get another!!!

mark