Would you buy another Octavia?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't think I would say this but - no, I wouldn't risk another Skoda after my experience : a Mk II VRS diesel from new last year (56plate). Problem 1, massive oil leak a month from new; problem 2, tyre pressure sensor acting up; problem 3, engine mangement system intermittent failure, seen by 2 dealers now with no result and 4, probably result of 3, blocked particulate filter (not covered by warranty and not told when I bought it with three years free servicing). Skoda UK seems to have lost it. UPDATE: Now gone into THIRD Skoda dealership who say they will have to keep it for a while since it has 'quite a few faults'. I am now using an Oyster Card to get around. Regretting trading in my 05 Furby vRS which was no trouble at all.

UPDATE: Got car back from dealership who said they had 'cured' it's problems. They suspected faulty ECU software and reloaded the engine management programme. Car lasted a few days before developing the same fault. This is, on ignition, the coil light does not go out but flashes, putting the car into 'creep home mode'. Phoned Skoda Customer Care and the dealership. Won't bore you with the details but response was basically, 'we have to wait 'til the area technician is back'. That was over 2 weeks ago. I tried a couple of no brainer 'tricks'. Switch on ignition - fault appears - drive for 5 mins or so - switch off engine - lock car - unlock car - switch on ignition - coil light goes out and ECU seems to be reset. I know a bit about processors and software but not a lot about mechanics. Seems to me the problem MAY have to do with charge leakage from the battery which affects coil on startup which, in turn, affects ECU which applies engine damping. Anyone with any such similar problems. Now car is OK on starting each time, with no engine management light or coil light on. Still waiting to hear from Dealership or Customer Care.

i doubt i will buy another Octavia or anything else from the V.A.G stable.

I'm sorry but all this stuff about good build quality from V.A.G is crap. They are better than ford and vauxhall in my opinion but next time i'll probs go towards the jap crap they just go and go.

Honda Accord / Lexus IS200 / Honda S2000 / Honda Civic are all in my maybe list:thumbup:

i doubt i will buy another Octavia or anything else from the V.A.G stable.

I'm sorry but all this stuff about good build quality from V.A.G is crap. They are better than ford and vauxhall in my opinion but next time i'll probs go towards the jap crap they just go and go.

Honda Accord / Lexus IS200 / Honda S2000 / Honda Civic are all in my maybe list:thumbup:

:thumbup:

Even I noticed the difference in build quality between my 55 plate fabia and my 57 octy... it's shocking all the pieces of flimsy trim :finger:

As much as I love my car... I don't know where to turn next... maybe a new furby vrs if it ever appears... maybe a jap motor :confused:

Skoda are starting to loose their crown... despite the practicality and the reliability they're just too flimsy in the cabin!

Me thinks I detect the hand of VW - stop stealing our sales - hence the rising prices and the reasons why Skoda get everything LAST!! :rolleyes:

I must disagree with this point, my new 57 octy vrs is miles better and more 'grown up' than my 03 vrs that I had before.

Being ex police, I've driven a lot of cars. I wouldn't ever touch anything japanese as I'm over 6 ft 4, so they are all a bit cramped and soul less, Toymotor Avensis interior trim only lasted 6 months! and lacked power.

Skoda simply combines a great price with an unmatched level of sophistication and trim.

I'm sorry if you don't like your Skoda, I've had four very good quality cars from them and I wouldn't dream of joining a BMW owners forum if all I wanted to do was whinge about them...

Rant over.

Billy:mad:

I must disagree with this point, my new 57 octy vrs is miles better and more 'grown up' than my 03 vrs that I had before.

Being ex police, I've driven a lot of cars. I wouldn't ever touch anything japanese as I'm over 6 ft 4, so they are all a bit cramped and soul less, Toymotor Avensis interior trim only lasted 6 months! and lacked power.

Skoda simply combines a great price with an unmatched level of sophistication and trim.

I'm sorry if you don't like your Skoda, I've had four very good quality cars from them and I wouldn't dream of joining a BMW owners forum if all I wanted to do was whinge about them...

Rant over.

Billy:mad:

I LOVE my Skoda :D

I'm just saying that the cabin build quality has slipped recently... mind you, I suppose every car rattles eventually :P

I agree with you... the prices are cheap, but they slowly starting to rise... if it hadn't have been for motorpoint and thier 14l specials - there's no way I could have afforded the car I have now with all the extras on it :(

Actually, in the market place this year, I looked at the (old style) WRX STi Imprezza station wagon (boot too small), Mazda 3 mps (Is that a boot?), Volvo S50 T5 (close but too expensive), VW R36 Passat (How much for a lowly VW? - remember VAG lads, Volkswagen means car made to be affordable for the people), or a procession of people carriers (ever noticed a smiling male driver in a people carrier?)

I felt the cabin was a marked improvement over the first gen Octy, a much more grown up place to be and far better than the usual german suspects.

How can BMW owners get badge snobbery when there are more bmws out there than ford focus's anyway? Look around, your car's a scommon a herring gulls at the seaside!!!

Billy

if they would only drop in the 3.2 v6 and give it 4 wheel drive I would be standing at the dealers before they unlocked the doors for another one

If they would only make the Mk 1 L&K again I would be in the queue with you, ours is fantastic, just getting old

Theres a new Octy rumoured for late 2009, as long as its not just a facelift it might claw back the reputation.

as for the wish list, the RS3 is out next year, same basic floor pan as the Octy, now that would be fun !!!!

had a mk1 VRS Octy estate for nearly 3 years (46k miles), just ordered new one in race blue, looked at competition, and as our american cousins say you cant get better bang for your buck!!. My main criteria is space, performance and price, the VRS estate is very hard to beat if you are the same as me!! I looked at the Mondeo, but inside looked very nasty with lots of horrible chrome and as mine is a lease and the Mondeo is worth

love the idea of the car, i like the space and running costs, Mrs wife loves to drive it after only just passing her test....

But, sadly, no.....think skoda's relaibillity is on the wane from some of the conversations i have had while kicking around the service department waiting room.....too many unhappy drivers who are on their newest sccudy and were happy prior to later modesl or fabias, and are unhappy with the growing list of faults....

like mine: ( 05 1.9tdi estate, bought at 14k, now on 21k)

it has been back 19 (yes 19) times in just over a year with numerous little and some big faults, from internal electrics (switches, glove box light etc) to major (wheel bearing, airbag recall, and constantly dying battery after a few days that cannot be resolved)

this car has given me more problems and returns since oct 06 than my last 3 cars (over 11 years, focus, 406 and astra) put together...

so no, i would return to Skoda to buy another car until the reliability improves.....

the build quality and support for this car are the worst i have ever had

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I would! I'm on my first one - a 55 reg octavia elegance 2.0L with DSG box. It's great - it's economical, powerful and a joy to drive. Only thing I'm not too keen on is the headlight power, which I think is not as good as my old Renualt Scenic.

On the topic of reliability, my mk 1 vrs dropped the gearbox through the housing 4 days before the warranty ran out. Not a flicker of eyelids from Skoda UK or my retailer, spanking new replacement went in f.o.c.

Almost managed 1300 miles in two months in my new one and so far (touch wood, a far better car and no problems). I really should stop making excuses for driving it and leave it on the drive. Cycling to work again helps save 17 miles a day commute.:thumbup:

simple answer to this question from me is "yes!"

there would have to be a drastic shift in positioning of the skoda brand within VAG and it's value v. quality for me to not buy another skoda in the future......

....I'm digging the look of that new superb - can;t wait to see how this impacts the 2009 octy design...

Would I have another one?

Hmmm, 03 vrs coming up to 70,000, of which I have done 58,000 lets see whats gone wrong......

errm, well I had a coil pack go 2 months after I bought it and thats it. No squeaks, rattles, bits dropping off, hell Ive not even had to replace the brake pads yet !

Its carried 2 small children plus SWMBO and me around the country with enough camping gear to last a week (without resorting to roof bars), its suffered innumerable trips to B+Q, its been driven gently and driven hard and never complained.

It has never let me down in 3 years and 8 months.

Yes I would probably have another.

On the strength of my experince with my Vrs Tdi, them yes... I researched fully before comitting to this car - I wanted a practical estate that was fun to drive and no too thirsty - Audis were too pricy, VW's too boring, Seats not big enough, the Mondeo wasn't out, the Mazda was at the end of the line, Renaults are unreliable.... it ticks al my boxes and I look forward to geting behind the wheel every time. It still feels quick even after getting off my 650cc mbike - I even considered the Scout but apart from the few weekends camping a year do I really need a 4x4???

• 2 weeks later...
What's wrong with you people?!

Nothing's wrong with me - I just don't like to have to make TWELVE visits to a dealers to get a single fault fixed. It's not that there was a fault that's put me off , but that it took a year to resolve it

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of changing my 99 T reg Octy TDI ...

135k & counting ... only non service item has been brake servo.

Do I go for a late A4 shape or stretch the budget & get an A5 shape?

On paper it (& from taxi rides) seems a better car all round,

but on here, there seem to be more niggles.

Are the 2.0 16v TDIs better / worse than the 1.9 units?