Card Cloning Scam at Petrol Stations

Reece_1

A colleague of mine had 4 transactions of £250 each taken from his account, paid to Beijing or something.

The petrol station (BP, run by Asians) has been found guilty of cloning cards and pointing the CCTV camera at the chip and pin machine.

I'm always weary now, even if theres nobody about I'm discreet with my pin, and I NEVER let my card out of site. :)

Question: if money is stolen through fraud on a debit card, will the bank claim it back and give it back to you? Or is it just lost (as if somebody pick-pocketed notes off you or something).

theres a couple of stations in my town that are known to clone cards, (also run by Asians) seems to be one of their well-known scams, (as well as deliberate crashing of cars, insurance fraud, etc):(

A little off topic but...I went to pay for some shopping in Sainsburys the other day, opened my purse and my joint account card was not there :eek: Oh bum I thought, so I came home and cancelled it because I know it wouldn't be anywhere else in the house.

Just been to sainsbury's again today and it seems I had left it behind in one of those chip and pin machines :o and they destroyed it this morning. To say I was relieved is an understatement, I thought some scally had nicked it.

I am always carefull where I fill up with fuel, tend to always use the same stations. Working with chip/pin terminals makes it quiet easy to spot when somethings not right. Esso use the same brand of chip/pin machines we use at work. The problem is if someone not techical doesnt know how to spot the telltale signs.

i had one of my cards cloned, and some transactions were made in malaysia, the bank did eventually refund the money back to me after about 6 weeks.

"have you been to malaysia" said the lady in the bank in an accusing tone!!! do i look like i've been to malaysia!!!

Re Pixi's post: When I "lose" my card, I check either online or via telephone banking as to when it was last used before I cancel it (which is a pain). A thief would use it immediately, so if not used, it's more likely just to be at home somewhere or at the last shop.

It's a shame that credit cards can't be read as Oyster (transport cards) are. (These work like holding a barcode over a checkout reader.) I suppose that's one for the future though.

Regards

Mo

This happened in Shell stations about 6 months ago.

I've never liked chip & pin cards.

I refused to use one up until it was mandatory. The Royal Bank of Scotland had a good scheme going where your signature & photo was etched into the back of your card.

I checked my John Lewis Partnership account online this evening to see if Dell had debited the £11 handling fee yet for a free Vista Upgrade. It's fortunate that I did because I spotted 8 fraudulent transactions involving fuel purchases from Tesco at a city some 50 miles away, 2 each day over 4 days at different filling station locations and each involving circa £55 fuel. £447.40 in total... :grumpy:

nearly every petorl station that i have been in over here in the republic dont let you pay by chip and pin!!.....they use the old swipey method and signiture!!.....not sure if its for sercurity or they just cant be bothered!!....will have to go in today cos as far as i know you havve to use chip and pin past the 17 mar!!

k

The damage was worse than I thought. When I looked at my John Lewis card account on line on 19 March and spotted 8 fraudulent transactions, what I couldn't see was 4 more fraudulent transactions which had been made but had yet to be recorded on the account. These dropped out with a dull thud when I checked my March statement today.

Had £1000 emptied from a bank account.Another cloned card job.

Don't think they are ever going to beat the criminals.Just seems odd in this age of alleged technical brilliance,cash and cheque are the best ways/safest ways to pay.

Its all you seem to read about now and I can't see chip and pin has made any difference to the situation at all

Just seems odd in this age of alleged technical brilliance,cash and cheque are the best ways/safest ways to pay.

Would have to disagree there - cash is easily stolen, and there is no pre-requisite skill required by someone who has stolen cash to know how to use it.

There are plenty of loopholes on cheques, the only reason they could arguably be safer is because the number of people targetting cheques for fraud is lower now.

Its all you seem to read about now and I can't see chip and pin has made any difference to the situation at all

If you dropped your card and someone found it, they wouldn't be able to use it just by learning the signature on the back...so I'd say it's more secure. Plus it should be checked at every transaction, and you won't get a dodgy/lazy employee ignoring the signature.

It's a step forward...by no means a final step though.

Rob.

I still think that RBS had a good idea of putting your photo & signature on the back of the card.

At the time it was a good idea, but now it has largely been made redundant by chip and pin - all it would really do is stop someone from finding your card and being able to use it.

Admittedly a photo would be useful in addition to this if someone was trying to make purchases at "legitimate" establishments, but a photo in itself can be ignored by the cashier if working in cahoots.

I suspect the reason it never took off is that the administrative overhead would not warrant the extra security it would provide...

Plus if you were knocking out cloned cards, you could just print your own photo on it... :)

Rob.

If you dropped your card and someone found it, they wouldn't be able to use it just by learning the signature on the back...so I'd say it's more secure. Plus it should be checked at every transaction, and you won't get a dodgy/lazy employee ignoring the signature.

It's a step forward...by no means a final step though.

Irony of ironies, when I withdraw cash over the counter in my bank branch, it is swipe and sign! I often do this if the queue at the cash point has more than three people in it. I've only ever been challenged once to answer security questions (DOB and full address) and that was because the signature was all but illegible on that particular card. They have a reasonable turnover of cashiers so I reckon it's certainly possible to exploit this.

It must also be possible to nobble the chip so that Tesco or wherever fall back to swipe and sign?

They have a reasonable turnover of cashiers so I reckon it's certainly possible to exploit this.

Undoubtedly...wouldn't know where the liability was on that one either, as it's not a traditional merchant transaction, but rather a cash withdrawal (not to be confused with a cash advance ;) )...

It must also be possible to nobble the chip so that Tesco or wherever fall back to swipe and sign?

Would come down to the terms between the merchant, their acquirer and the card type in question. I suspect for the most part it would be like when the magnetic swipe used to fail - if they were permitted to key it they would, otherwise they'd ask you for an alternative payment method...

Rob.

• 4 weeks later...