Light Assist Retrofit

Ok, now i have cleared the original fault - as you were right - detecting that i had disconnected the switch

so i no longer have any faults......

but the usual problem of having my side/headlights on in the daytime !

ray, i had this on mine when i got it, the lights were on in bright sunshine and daylight when on tunnel setting. I got the dealer to check it and they were most confused but said they would clear the faults and they hadnt changed anything. after that it never happened again so im not sure what happened realy. maybe they did change something without realising?

May have to take it to the dealer, but i thought other people were having similar problems with incorrectly spec'd cars and then retrofitted after?

VAG-COM is not showing any errors and it all looks setup ok?

Been running through the coding with Ray tonight on this and I don't believe it's possible to do it with just the coding.

I do have an idea of what the issue is, well actually I'm pretty confident I have the answer to be honest - just need somone to try it.

Here we go -

The Light Assist Switch has an additional position, position 2, which is the tunnel position.

This position relates to Black 10 Pin Connector T10b Pin 2 a Purple wire which is in the 10 pin plug on the rear of the Light Switch and is only fitted to cars which have Light Assist.

I can see you are all getting the idea now :P

This wire should connect to to the Black 16 Pin Connector T16a Pin 14 which is position E on the electrical system control unit which is located under the drivers side knee panel.

I know from speaking to Ray that if he enables the Light Assist in the controller he also gets a fault code - 01800 - Light Switch (E1) 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent. This to me means that the electrical system control unit is expecting to see 12v from the Light Assist Switch.

The wire complete with the terminal for the 16 Pin Connector is 000 979 009 or 000 979 026 and the one for the 10 pin connector is 000 979 009. I don't know which size wire it is in the 16 pin connecetor so I would recommend ordering both until we know.

So there you have it, hopefully the answer to your problems.

Who's going to be first???

:orb_not_w

What else could we say (obviously this praise is conditional and will be completely retracted and denied should said resolution fail upon test!).

A bloke in work is up for doing it on my car (the wiring that is) - seems to think its straight forward assuming we can get into the connector at both ends...

I also assume its not a case of getting 1 peice of wire "said length", but will also need "blades" attached to either end to slot in

anyone got a pic of the "electrical system control unit which is located under the drivers side knee panel"

Anyone got a pic of the "electrical system control unit which is located under the drivers side knee panel"

You asked for it!!!

If you buy the two wires you need they will come with the connectors you need on each end. I would remove the 'spare' connector from each one ensuring that the other end is as long as possible, fit them to the respective connectors and lay the cable where you need it before joining the cables with a crimp.

15992.attach

Hey, dont knock it - at least its a 70% completed thread now.

As the wires have the connectors on the end is it just a case of "pushing" them in the relevant holes on the connectors?

As the wires have the connectors on the end is it just a case of "pushing" them in the relevant holes on the connectors?

That's about the size of it Ray. You'll need to open the plugs up to insert the terminals.

The light switch one is easy, cut the cable tie, release the latch and slide out the inner part. I don't know about the other one as I've not seen it, it will for sure have a secondary locking system though.

Ray, any progress to report on this one?

I took Stu's proposed solution to my local dealer and gave it to the mechanic who has been looking at mine - he said he'd have to run it by Skoda Technical. The dealers also wanted to know who would be paying for this and I'm now in a wrangle after telling them Skoda will be as they didn't fit the option despite it being clearly marked on my order form. To complicate matters it is a company car so I've had to get the fleet company involved - they are liaising with the supplying dealer, my local dealer and SKoda technical to sort it out. They have just called me to tell me it looks like Skoda are going to say it can't be done, but i'll know more by Wednesday. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Like anything there is always an element of danger in drawing things like this to the attention of dealers and SUK. It's not always a good idea to walk in waving bits of paper printed from here, they don't like us at the best of times.

Keep us informed of the outcome.

:o aah I wasn't aware SUK were interested in what goes on here - sincere apologies.

Whilst I didn't mention the source I'm guessing the guy at my local dealer won't need to be Einstein to work out where it came from then.

Lesson learned

Sorry guys - no updates. Honestly thought someone else would have beaten me too it by now.

I have just come back from a few days in Leeds and the cars not be stationary for long enough to be tinkered with.

Very interested in this thread, I have just been told by my dealer that my 2007 vrs with light assist was not fitted with the right loom in the factory so they couldn't get the light assist working. Stop, end, finish! In my experience, especially of German companies, they rarely differentiate between "it can't be done" and "I don't want (can't be bothered) to do it". Still somewhat surprised that the wrong loom was fitted since the dimming mirror, rain sensor and light assist come as one package on the vrs so why would they have a loom that only worked for 2 of the 3?

Watching the guinea-piggery with interest!