Light Assist Retrofit

Hi,

Can anyone give a detailed explanation of how to acces the connections on the ECU end as I have oredered the wires and am planning to do the connection next weekend if its not beyond me.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm, this solution works perfectly. I followed Stu's tow-bar fitting advice to see how to get to the controller and it took around 25 minutes to install the wires. You need 2 wires (000 979 009) for the installation - join the two in the middle as one may just be long enough but may not be quite long enough if you ever need to get in there in the future. To get the connector out of the controller you need to slide the red bar across to release the plug, then release the inner plug from the outer (only one side of the plug comes free). The connection is simple from then on. Once the coding is done with VAG-Com to enable coming home and leaving home lights (not with potentiometer, with adaptation) the unit works perfectly. So thank you Stu for your help in sorting this out. :thumbup:

Excellent News.

We started with Mike replacing his switch and borrowing my VAG-COM cable, finding that the lights are on whilst to ignition is live.

Further investigation by Stu and myself we realised that a cable was missing - causing the implausable signal.

Many of you have taken this potential solution away and manged to prove it to be correct.

I am so pleased that our work paid off and others have had the chance to benefit from it.

Further more, Mike has placed the relevant cables in and I can confirm that my Light Assist now works correctly.

I stood out in the rain for 5 minutes yesterday covering the rain sensor with my hand, lights on, lights off. Reminded me of Kirate kid - Lights on, Lights off..... scary how satisfying things get in life

Thanks to : Mike and Stu - cheers guys.

• 2 weeks later...

OK can i get this right

I have a vRS that does not have Rain sensing wipers etc. It is standard apart from maxi dot.

Can i enable leaving home/coming home lights? If so how is it Vag-Com only or is it a case of using the method with the cable

This would be a useful feature as its quite dark where i live and no street lighting where i have to park my car and SWMBO gets scared in the dark :rofl:

Cheers

Carl :thumbup:

yes you can, its leaving home /coming home option as mentioned further up in this thread. the only downer is in the middle of summer when its still light and in the day time the lights will come on when you unlock the car, but then i dont find this a problem.

• 3 months later...

Hi, just took my light switch off to have a nose at how easy this would be, and in my loom that goes to the back of switch i have a purple wire folded back and taped up! do all of you have this and are still adding an extra wire or am i just lucky to have the right wire in my loom already, just gotta check the other end to see if that is near the electronic control unit thingy, i havent got maxi dot so if i get the vag com cable and prog can i enable this on my car to work?

many thanks.

Hey, just revisiting this thread after many months of hardship switching my lights on and off manually.

Thats fantastic news that its been possible to retrofit!!

Mines was another where I requested the pack of three options (light assist, dimming mirrors and auto-wipers), but light assist wasn't fitted. The dealer said it wasn't ordered, then attempted a retrofit (twice failing), and are now back to telling me it was never ordered.

Still no part-refund or anything, but I'm working on it!

I'm interested in attempting retorfitting this myself. Is there a guide already, or will that be my job?

Only thing I'm needing is the actual switch, does anyone know the part number?

Thanks,

Ross

EDIT: Just seen the post above, ebay could be useful - just don't want to be snatching one from under Wudzy's nose :D

No need for you to buy anything, mate.

If you specced and paid for the 3 options and rain assistance IS installed and working in your car, your dealer should just fit light assit for you, foc like mine did. Simple as.

Had another chat with dealer yesterday. They've shown me the ordering system and were adamant that when I ordered the car the only option was dimming mirrors and rain sensing wipers together in a package for £145.

I of course dispute this, because I know the package of three features were advertised at the time, on the Skoda UK website for £145. They've told me to take this up with Skoda Customer Service to see if they can help.

They left it open - if Skoda can give them an official line on how to fix it, they'll do it without cost. I'm not keen on going back to them armed with my official Briskoda light assist retrofit procedure just yet.

I'll get on to customer services, and if no joy after I've been around the houses (again) I'd like to prove them wrong by retrofitting it myself (providing it works)!

I of course dispute this, because I know the package of three features were advertised at the time, on the Skoda UK website for £145. They've told me to take this up with Skoda Customer Service to see if they can help.

You've hit the nail on the head - £145 is for all three options, its a package. Why should you have to call Skoda UK? Do you have your original order to hand? The dealer should just get on and do it - and speak to Skoda UK themselves if they think they have to.. Its crap service is what it is! Makes my blood boil :mad:

Skoda refused to give in on my car, exactly the same had been charged for all the options, in the end the lease company said they would pay for it and take it up with skoda again. Skoda were really rubbish with the whole situation.

rich