Which VRS to BUy

He really liked it, he said:-

-Gear box is slick, effortless and precise.

-cornering is smoothe and confident

-impressed by build quality/interior (not far off my mum's Audi TT - leather and plastic are pretty much the same quality, just missing the Bose stereo and a few of the metal touches). (previous generation audi TT soft top with the Audi 3.0 TDI dropped in).

He a fan of Skoda's anyway:-

The skodas in their fleet (octavias: VRSs and 210BHP TDI remaps and the superb: 2.8 V6 193bhp) are the driving schools most reliable training vehicles. (tried to persuade me to buy the octavia).

The skoda's are also the majority of instructors' favourites to drive (well except for doing ramming... sorry TPAC taining, I guess there's just no substitute for 2 tonnes of volvo in a crash). Probably down to the skodas having decent VW build quality at seriously cheap prices and not being as demanding on the driver while still keeping most of the fun. (This is out of fleet including a couple of BMW M5s (previous and current generation), Big Volvos (various), Saarb 95's, subaru imprezas (ca 350BHP) and Evos (ca 400 BHP)). But like mot things, I guess a lot is down to personal preference and driving style/needs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He really liked it, he said:-

-Gear box is slick, effortless and precise.

-cornering is smoothe and confident

-impressed by build quality/interior (not far off my mum's Audi TT - leather and plastic are pretty much the same quality, just missing the Bose stereo and a few of the metal touches). (previous generation audi TT soft top with the Audi 3.0 TDI dropped in).

He a fan of Skoda's anyway:-

The skodas in their fleet (octavias: VRSs and 210BHP TDI remaps and the superb: 2.8 V6 193bhp) are the driving schools most reliable training vehicles. (tried to persuade me to buy the octavia).

The skoda's are also the majority of instructors' favourites to drive (well except for doing ramming... sorry TPAC taining, I guess there's just no substitute for 2 tonnes of volvo in a crash). Probably down to the skodas having decent VW build quality at seriously cheap prices and not being as demanding on the driver while still keeping most of the fun. (This is out of fleet including a couple of BMW M5s (previous and current generation), Big Volvos (various), Saarb 95's, subaru imprezas (ca 350BHP) and Evos (ca 400 BHP)). But like mot things, I guess a lot is down to personal preference and driving style/needs.

is he with the met??

Turn it off!!

I opted for the ESP because I didnt know it had ASR as standard!! oops. should of done my homework.:o

never seen it come on around a bend so I am either not going fast enough or concentrating on where I am going:D

That's what I used to do in my S3...turn the damn thing off, if you wanted to play.

It used to come on taking roundabouts quickly, or coming out of junctions quickly.

I'd have had no need to turn it off if it wasn't so nannying and sensitive....when it doesn't have to be. Other makers get it right....

is he with the met??

No South Yorkshire. He was in traffic for 20- 25 years (ish) and been an instructor for the past5 or 6.

Just got back from a spin over the cat and fiddle road... and depite pushing it in the corners (as much as I felt comfortable with) the fabia didn't really show any signs of understeer or loss of traction. It did roll a little bit round some of the hairpins and sharper bends, but that had as much to do with the adverse camber as the fabias cornering ability.... it's certainly in a completly different class to my old punto (I'd still be waiting for the AA to tow me out of a field if I driven that way in the fiat)

No South Yorkshire. He was in traffic for 20- 25 years (ish) and been an instructor for the past5 or 6.

Just got back from a spin over the cat and fiddle road... and depite pushing it in the corners (as much as I felt comfortable with) the fabia didn't really show any signs of understeer or loss of traction. It did roll a little bit round some of the hairpins and sharper bends, but that had as much to do with the adverse camber as the fabias cornering ability.... it's certainly in a completly different class to my old punto (I'd still be waiting for the AA to tow me out of a field if I driven that way in the fiat)

So all in all your impressed with it, and by the sounds of it so is your dad :thumbup: Its a cracking little car and for the money, I dont think anything comes close.

Ive just fitted a Jabba ARB and that helps a lot to flatten the car out in corners (reduce roll) and ive found it cuts out a lot of understeer. Consider one for the future when you know the limits of the new car, you wont be dissapointed.

Definately! great little car! - Skoda's advertising slogan was spot on.

I have looked at getting an anti roll bar, but I dont think Ill bother (may change my mind as my confidence in the car's steering increase - punto wasn't power steering) but is seems quite resonably priced.

Have also been looking at getting a remap loaded. does anyone have any advice? I'm not particulary bothered about a ridiculous increase in power/torque - the 150-160bhp remaps will be more than adequate.

What I am interested in is:

-the effect positive or negative on fuel economy and engine wear/life

-what the official life from skoda is on warranties.or am I best of waiting till the warranty has expired?

- I'll be running on 5% Biodiesel shortly - will this make a difference?

-effect on isurance (does it put it in the same sort of price as a SEAT ibiza cupra..or do you pay through the nose because it's a modifiaction)..Mine is

Turn it off!!

I opted for the ESP because I didnt know it had ASR as standard!! oops. should of done my homework.:o

never seen it come on around a bend so I am either not going fast enough or concentrating on where I am going:D

Yeah, it's nearly always off. :cool: Thinking of modding it so it stays off all the time and is only on when I switch it on. :)

What are peoples thoughts about private reg plates and resale value:- My car is number 531, and I can get Reg No S31 VRS for

Putting on a private plate will on your V5 form add additional owners - so when you sell it you will have to explain (and they will have to check) that thats the case.

Now look down the road when they come to sell it oh the first 2 owners were actually 1 but it was a private plate... I'd offer less due to the fact it has more owners.

As for it matching your car seat number well that is a nice touch mind you though how many people would realise that & how many would think how sad is that'....

I have looked at getting an anti roll bar, but I dont think Ill bother (may change my mind as my confidence in the car's steering increase - punto wasn't power steering) but is seems quite resonably priced.

Dont think about the Jabba ARB, just buy it. It's an excellent mod well worth every penny

Have also been looking at getting a remap loaded. does anyone have any advice? I'm not particulary bothered about a ridiculous increase in power/torque - the 150-160bhp remaps will be more than adequate.

What I am interested in is:

-the effect positive or negative on fuel economy and engine wear/life

-what the official life from skoda is on warranties.or am I best of waiting till the warranty has expired?

Up to you. You pay the cash you can have what you want, a good map will be smooth with not too much coming in too soon and if you drive it right should give you a few more MPG. It will wear certain components out quicker, thats the laws of Physics. Remapping will void your warranty period and Skoda have a track record of being gits about this, however there are ways of hiding it ;)

- I'll be running on 5% Biodiesel shortly - will this make a difference?

-effect on isurance (does it put it in the same sort of price as a SEAT ibiza cupra..or do you pay through the nose because it's a modifiaction)..Mine is

Putting on a private plate will on your V5 form add additional owners - so when you sell it you will have to explain (and they will have to check) that thats the case.

Now look down the road when they come to sell it oh the first 2 owners were actually 1 but it was a private plate... I'd offer less due to the fact it has more owners.

good post pity it went wrong after this

As for it matching your car seat number well that is a nice touch mind you though how many people would realise that & how many would think how sad is that'....

my V5 says one owner, iam the 1st owner of the car and then i added a private plate Still only one owner on the V5. Where have you got the info from unless iam reading my v5 wrong dont think iam.

Hey guys

i am new here just joined as i will be buying a VRS in the coming months and just want to know about how much i should pay for one etc.

My main issue at the moment is if i should buy the limited edtion blue one, is it worth it or should i just get a normal vrs. money is not really an issue

any help offered i will be thankful:) :)

The current Fabia Vrs is a good car. But if you're shelling out on a new/nearly new one I would wait for the new model to arrive next year. I've spent a fair few quid on my Fabia getting it to handle as it should (like most enthusiast Vrs owners) but I wouldn't waste my money with the benefit of hindsight, you can bet the new car will be a cracker when it arrives. :) Be patient and wait.

You have a fair point with the accidents and saving lifes but if you look on the other side, young people (me being quite young) will just push the car even harder due to it having some posh ESP (SAVE ME)button. Thats how i would have thought when younger. Youve got to say stay at the legal road speed and you shouldnt kill yourself.

mm someone made similar comments earlier,and what you say is fair enough, (and leads to the argument of raising the driving age!) but I think they misread my intentions...

if people are going to drive outside their limits anyway, I'm sure if their car has ESP they would also push that to its limits, and maybe beyond, I never said it's magic, or would stop someone crashing.. this someone also commented on how it 'interferes' when he wants to push his car, which is also fair enough, as long as he can control it if he's pushing it I'm sure he's fine... but when 'granny' is comming the other way on an a-road and looses it on a corner, I'm going to hope her car has ESP!! I've never experianced the VAG ESP just the version on my Fiat, which is unintrusive (assuming you are driving safely on a public road) if you want to be a racer (and can afford it) you could get a weekend car (lotus elise ect) and take it to a track...

however, my point is simply this, why would you not want ESP on your car, when it could save your life? I'm certainly not suggesting it should be used for 'fun' or as a 'save me' button (I like your terminology there! lol..) I still believe all road cars should be fitted with it, if you want to learn to control a car better, you can always go to a track day... not to put it on a general release warm-hatc, is an oversight in my opinion, these cars are probably the first 'fast' car people have..and I never suggested it should be used above driver skill, after all I'm an instructor, and know as well as anyone, how poor the general skill of 17 yo who's just passed their test is... more training, and learning how to control a car correctly is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but learning to slide a car at a skid control day, or a track, not the public road.... so driving well within your limits on a public road shouldn't set off ESP at all, and then if something goes wrong that ESP should help...........

I still think the argument should be for ESP not against... but I'm happy for people to have opposite opinions :thumbup:

The current Fabia Vrs is a good car. But if you're shelling out on a new/nearly new one I would wait for the new model to arrive next year. I've spent a fair few quid on my Fabia getting it to handle as it should (like most enthusiast Vrs owners) but I wouldn't waste my money with the benefit of hindsight, you can bet the new car will be a cracker when it arrives. :) Be patient and wait.

Many people don't like the styling of the new car at all and that makes waiting a risk. If you know you like the current model and you can get a decent package (opting for an se for example), waiting isn't quite the no brainer you try and make it out to be.

Only plan to run on 5% biodiesel until the warranty is up, then I probaly up the ratio to either BD30 or BD100. Eventually I plan to make the stuff myself (looks fairly simple- knew the chemistry degree would come in handy... lol)

On which note, if anyone has a petrol engine that they want to squeeze a little moe performance (economy + power) try adding acetone (available from bootsand all good chemists) to your fuel tank (0.5ml-1ml per litre). It reduces the surface tension of the petrol ( like detergent additives ) with the added bonus of it being flammable too! In theory it should work for diesels too, but I haven't seen any results.

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Looks like I'll give the private plate a miss then.

wrt hiding remaps is that using one of the plug in devices that stores a number of ECU configurations?

Has anyone declared their remap and or ARB to their insurer? what was the difference in price?

i would wait but i aint really a fan of the new fabia, i dont like the look of it at all, much prefere this shape, and i want a diesel and from what i have heard the new VRS will be petrol

i would wait but i aint really a fan of the new fabia, i dont like the look of it at all, much prefere this shape, and i want a diesel and from what i have heard the new VRS will be petrol

There has been no official confirmation on what the new Vrs will be, but to be honest I do think there will be two versions and the consensus is

petrol: 1.4 from the Golf (supercharged and turbo) detuned to 140 bhp

diesel: 2.0 tdi (140 bhp)

mm someone made similar comments earlier,and what you say is fair enough, (and leads to the argument of raising the driving age!) but I think they misread my intentions...

if people are going to drive outside their limits anyway, I'm sure if their car has ESP they would also push that to its limits, and maybe beyond, I never said it's magic, or would stop someone crashing.. this someone also commented on how it 'interferes' when he wants to push his car, which is also fair enough, as long as he can control it if he's pushing it I'm sure he's fine... but when 'granny' is comming the other way on an a-road and looses it on a corner, I'm going to hope her car has ESP!! I've never experianced the VAG ESP just the version on my Fiat, which is unintrusive (assuming you are driving safely on a public road) if you want to be a racer (and can afford it) you could get a weekend car (lotus elise ect) and take it to a track...

however, my point is simply this, why would you not want ESP on your car, when it could save your life? I'm certainly not suggesting it should be used for 'fun' or as a 'save me' button (I like your terminology there! lol..) I still believe all road cars should be fitted with it, if you want to learn to control a car better, you can always go to a track day... not to put it on a general release warm-hatc, is an oversight in my opinion, these cars are probably the first 'fast' car people have..and I never suggested it should be used above driver skill, after all I'm an instructor, and know as well as anyone, how poor the general skill of 17 yo who's just passed their test is... more training, and learning how to control a car correctly is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but learning to slide a car at a skid control day, or a track, not the public road.... so driving well within your limits on a public road shouldn't set off ESP at all, and then if something goes wrong that ESP should help...........

I still think the argument should be for ESP not against... but I'm happy for people to have opposite opinions :thumbup:

Ill love to try a car with ESP but i think id just push the car past its limit. I think raising the driving age would be wrong as youd just be an idiot when your say 25 instead of 21 etc. I do think it should be like owning a motorbike start off with a small engine(well in cars limit the BHP not CC size). I started off driving with a 1.1 i thought it was dead fast, i then got a 1.8 GOD that was quick, some of my friends started off in 2ltrs paid 3k for insureance They all walled them, so i think somthing needs to be done.

As for ESP iam guessing its like ABS, I hate ABS when it kicks in for no reason but then again i love it because my accident could have been alot worse. And the Fabia Gr8 buy. not the car it should be but a grand at the most and ull have a 170bhp fun cracker.

Dont think about the Jabba ARB, just buy it. It's an excellent mod well worth every penny

Absolutely agree. Seems expensive but it transforms the ride. :thumbup:

There has been no official confirmation on what the new Vrs will be, but to be honest I do think there will be two versions and the consensus is

petrol: 1.4 from the Golf (supercharged and turbo) detuned to 140 bhp

diesel: 2.0 tdi (140 bhp)

I think Skoda should go past what there ment to do and give what we i think all want. A MONSTER Bring the new furby vrs with a huge 2ltr Petrol and a 2ltr TDI 170.