Alloy cleaning

ethos

Hi guys,

How do you clean your alloys? :D

I bought a brush from halfords today, but it was pretty rubbish. Ended up wetting a microfibre towel with nxt wash and wiping all the brake dust / rubbish off then chucking some water over it.

Is it ok to do this?! Don't want to scratch the alloys!

When I get my 915 wax i'll polish them with autoglym super resin polish and then wax em. That's what's recommend yea?

Getting them super clean and then waxing does usually make it easy to keep them clean. I tend to wash mine with a sponge and what ever im washing the car with. Use the two bucket method though and a differeent sponge to what you wash the car with to stop and transfer of dirt onto the body.

Polo010-1.jpg

Works for me :)

If they're really dirty, might be worth getting something like Megs wheel brightener, diluting 4:1 to start with and agitating with a decent wheel brush. After waxing, you can still use Megs diluted to 10:1 although I prefer a non-acidic product at that point (specifically from Auto Brite).

I use a soth brisseled tooth brush for the harder area's using the same stuff im washing the car with.

i dont put anything on them after, but i will start to soon, to make life easier.

If your using the origional 17" spider wheels then an AG Wheel brush is great to get inbetween the spokes and inside the wheel. I use AG wheel cleaner and it works fine for me. For the outside of the spokes I use a spare microfibre glove. Not waxed my wheels yet so they're harder to clean but that AG seems to do the trick without being too strong for the finish.

Getting them super clean and then waxing does usually make it easy to keep them clean. I tend to wash mine with a sponge and what ever im washing the car with. Use the two bucket method though and a differeent sponge to what you wash the car with to stop and transfer of dirt onto the body.

Polo010-1.jpg

Works for me :)

Me too :thumbup:

My MKI Octy wheels took ages to clean but the MKII 18" one are a lot easier :)

Ive got a megs brush which is good but because of my wheels they flick the brake dust at you so all being well ill get the wheels off tomorrow and then get some wheel guard on them

I use a microfiber cloth, but then S3 alloys are a damn sight easier to clean than the original Octy ones!

(And being graphite coloured, don't need doing as often :lol:)

I did cover them with 4 coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant when I got them refurbed - must redo them sometime!

Try Car Plan alloy wheel cleaner. Simply paint on with the provided brush, let the stuff do its magic and clean off with a hose or jet wash. :thumbup:

I use a good paintbrush and some Mothers California Gold car shampoo and water in a small container.

I'll wetb the wheel first and wash them with the paintbrush and soap solution. When they are clean and dry I apply Rejex polymer to prevent build up and also to continue to make them easy to clean.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/styling-car-care/passat-alloys-proper-overhaul-protect-lots-pics/83452/#post958541

Thats how I did mine! :thumbup:

The most important thing imho, is you can't clean an alloy properly when its on the car. Lay it on a couple of batons or something though as its quite likely the spokes will sit proud. Fortunately they don't on the Passat, but I did damage the spokes of my old Corsas wheel.

• 2 weeks later...