New Scout Owner

Guest wilkopilko

Guest wilkopilko

Hello all,

I just thought I would introduce myself as a new Octi-Scout owner!

Picked one up a week ago from Brooklyn in Rugby a 2.0TDI in Silver, after weeks of test drives, reading reviews & driving the missus up the wall I took the plunge - others that the Scout was up against:

VW Passat TDI Estate - nice looking but dull, had 3 previous Passats needed a change.

new Honda CRV 2.2 CDT-I - Very well put together, nice engine but didn't quite offer boot space, didn't want to be stoned by the Anti-4x4 brigade even though just as economical as the Scout.

Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCI - Very impressed, refined cruiser but......just had bad experiences with Fords!

Octi VRS Estate 170 Diesel - Where do I start! Took one out for a drive, as soon as I left the dealer I just had to see what the 170 diesel felt like....put a smile on my face straight away, I was telling the sales guy "thats it I'm buying one" should always think before opening my mouth - I've never had so many cups of coffee made for me by a sales guy! Insurance cost & lack of standard options pushed me to look at the Scout...

So far extremely impressed but it is early days yet, first thing I noticed was the general build quality of Octi II, reminds of the previous version of Passat which was built to last.

I am slightly dissapointed with the engine noise when giving it a few beans, however once upto motorway speed all is good - although it is exactly the same amount of cabin noise to the current Passat which comes to no suprise.

The next was the ongoing list of toys to play with, this car does have an options list that would make BMW/Audi drivers weep.

Handles well even with the increased height, managed to get the rear drive kicking in around some wet roundabouts which feels a little weird but stable.

Only concerns would be tyre cost, to replace the Dunlops on there (225/17's) would set me back around

I was admiring the scout in my local dealers when I was picking up my fabia vrs se. As I left, they made me take a scout brochure for when I have my 'first little one'!

On a serious note, I must admit I was really impressed. It looks like a sensible man's version of that Audi A4 4X4 estate which probably costs a bomb!

Good luck with it. I think you've made a great choice my friend.

Hello all,

I just thought I would introduce myself as a new Octi-Scout owner!

Picked one up a week ago from Brooklyn in Rugby a 2.0TDI in Silver, after weeks of test drives, reading reviews & driving the missus up the wall I took the plunge - others that the Scout was up against:

VW Passat TDI Estate - nice looking but dull, had 3 previous Passats needed a change.

new Honda CRV 2.2 CDT-I - Very well put together, nice engine but didn't quite offer boot space, didn't want to be stoned by the Anti-4x4 brigade even though just as economical as the Scout.

Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCI - Very impressed, refined cruiser but......just had bad experiences with Fords!

So far extremely impressed but it is early days yet, first thing I noticed was the general build quality of Octi II, reminds of the previous version of Passat which was built to last.

I am slightly dissapointed with the engine noise when giving it a few beans, however once upto motorway speed all is good - although it is exactly the same amount of cabin noise to the current Passat which comes to no suprise.

The next was the ongoing list of toys to play with, this car does have an options list that would make BMW/Audi drivers weep.

Handles well even with the increased height, managed to get the rear drive kicking in around some wet roundabouts which feels a little weird but stable.

Only concerns would be tyre cost, to replace the Dunlops on there (225/17's) would set me back around

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

The Scout must be good - even Top Gear like it :rofl:

They've also got the 1.8 TFSI 160's listed as well :cool:

I saw a demo car last week but that's it so pretty exclusive at the moment.

Enjoy the car, it'll be a peach once the engine has loosened up.

Guest wilkopilko
Now this is spooky. My wife and I test drove the same cars and made exactly the same decision for pretty much the same reasons. Ours is being built this week with delivery by the end of the month. Please keep the reports coming to fill the gap!

Options: , metallic, xenons, multi-function with Maxidot and curtain airbags.

Zippy - Mine has the same options other then the curtain airbags went for the variable floor instead (of course the variable floor will come in handy in a side impact...)

You will like the Xenons - they really are superb. I will try & post a couple of pics tomorrow what colour did you opt for in the end?

Radders - Iain would tell you that it really does put out 10,000BHP! Catch up soon out & aboot somewhere.

Dstev/VRStu - It was so close with the VRS - I actually forgot to add that the VRS was the main contender - however the Insurance would be a little steep as it's main purpose would be business mileage & I know I would end up racking up some more points on my already sorry license..

Cheers all,

Wilko

Had to be silver, like yours. Car manufacturer brochures rarely get it wrong with their default colours. I think the Scout needs to show off its black trim with a light and neutal colour - silver - suits it best.

Having said this I note that diamond silver is replaced by brilliant silver in the autumn. Hope this does'nt look even better!

Now that's whetted my apetite. Have to say that it was a variety of reasons that combined to make my choice over and above the other cars I tried. It wasn't a choice of the heart but a whole load of "head" reasons that won the day:

1) The recent surveys (autoexpress etc) highlighting the Octavia as a Superb (no pun intended) or even top choice.

2) I've previously owned a Fabia and am comfortable with the Skoda marque.

3) The interior - whilst not quite up to the same quality - is very, very familiar as I also own a GTI.

4) The 4 wheel drive will be reassuring come winter.

5) The boot is huge and bigger than most.

6) The car is relatively compact on the outside. The S-Max and particularly the Freelander were very, VERY difficult to get into the garage (in terms of width) and my wife really didn't fancy a daily challenge to avoid scrapes.

7) Loads of equipment as standard.

8) The test drive was very reassuring - a brilliant compromise between handling and ride quality. In fact I was seriously impressed.

9) The dealer was absolutely fantastic and inspired total confidence (and whilst it wasn't really an important consideration the freebies for the kids before we had got anywhere close to signing were nice!).

10) I negotiated a good deal.

Wilko - thanks for the pictures!

To see more Scouts, watch the Tour de France highlights.

Saw loads drive by our road today. to fast to get any dicent picks though.

Guest wilkopilko
Really nice, like that a lot.

Did you drive over that field and try out the 4x4?:rofl:

....What & get it dirty you must be joking.......

:o

just been to rainworth skoda and nosed at a scout, really nice but not sure if its worth the nearly 20k asking price.

you could get alot of other car for that money.

i curently have an octi ambient 1.9 tdi so did want to stay with the skoda group, but the prices seem to going a tad high.

or am i just tight??????

had my scout 4 two weeks ,i too chose it because of level of speck and i had sat nav and multifunction steering wheel ,i chose anthracite as this gives the impretion that the bumpers are colour coded .

just been to rainworth skoda and nosed at a scout, really nice but not sure if its worth the nearly 20k asking price.

you could get alot of other car for that money.

Can you? A 4x4? That looks good and drives well? The Outlander feels cheap & tarty, the Sanre Fe a lot more and emmissions are poor, the Tucson & Sportage are in a lower class entirely, the Freelander is a LOT more in the equivelent spec, the US offerings have emmissions considerations and are generaly not good either, so I have to conclude that you are wrong!

Unless, of course, as Esther Rantzen used to say, you know better...:)

Can you? A 4x4? That looks good and drives well? The Outlander feels cheap & tarty, the Sanre Fe a lot more and emmissions are poor, the Tucson & Sportage are in a lower class entirely, the Freelander is a LOT more in the equivelent spec, the US offerings have emmissions considerations and are generaly not good either, so I have to conclude that you are wrong!

Unless, of course, as Esther Rantzen used to say, you know better...:)

I agree.

There are plenty of larger "real" 4X4s from far eastern manufacturers in that budget but they don't have the quality or specification , aren't any more spacious inside and are a lot thirstier.

If you want a large four wheel drive estate car then you are looking at an audi or volvo. The XC70 starts at 30k and the Audi is about the same. They are both a bit bigger and certainly more prestigious , but you'd hope so for another ten grand.

There's a subaru legacy costing about 20k but then you don't have a diesel option. Possibly the best alternative would be a Nissan Qashqai which can be had as a 4wd TDI for the same sort of price with an equivalent spec.

It's high on my list of choices for my next car

Wilkopilko - I've got one just like yours, no optional extras, mind. Had it for 2 weeks and I haven't seen any others in this part of the frozen north apart from the one I test-drove. It's starting to grow on me but I am waiting to see how it performs in the next 3 weeks over 2000-3000 miles in Germany and Switzerland. I think other drivers think it's a Volvo XC or similar, I don't think they realise it's a Skoda. :)

The only other cars I was likely to buy were (1) the Honda CR-V 2.2 CRTdi but my wife didn't like the look of it and she said I wouldn't be happy because it wouldn't go in the garage (2) the Roomster 1.4 Tdi which I loved but my wife said it was too bouncy and I could tell she didn't like the look of it either.

The Scout goes in the garage with about 1/4 inch either side of the mirrors and the parking sensors beeping like mad!

I hope we've made a good choice.

Guest wilkopilko

Hi just a quick update,

I've now covered around 2000 miles over the past few weeks so far so good - I have a quick question if anybody can answer it I would be very grateful:

The DPF - I have not yet noticed any plumes of smoke when accelerating hard which I would expect because of the DPF, however I noticed the other day a little smoke when sat in traffic (just once) - it wasn't anything worrying as it only lasted a few seconds - but is it normal?

Gripes:

The front of the drivers door arm rest (just in front of the leccy window controls) digs in my knees & the same goes for the edge of the center console digs into my left knee - I know trivial 'aint it!

Under heavy braking it tends to nose dive a little & the brakes don't seem to be that great - Maybe I still need to bed them in a little more? Anyone notice the same?

The speedometer needs some attention - the scale is shortened between 80-100mph compared to 50-60/70-80 etc...you got to be really careful - I'm sure this is a normal Octavia 2 feature & has probably been discussed here before somewhere.

Xenon Lights - I have been getting flashed by other road users (no jokes please) & the strange thing is that the spread of light on a dark country road seems to abrubtly end around 30 - 40 yrds or so? Could it be the dazzle of Xenons generally? I am not carrying much load.

Staying with the lights - I think the Light Assist option is a complete waste of time - those of you thinking of adding it to your new pre-ordered car, don't bother - it is an amazingly good marketing tool though. I mean really how hard is it to reach 4 inches to switch the lights on!

The horn is pants - your better off shouting out the window.

The Good Bits:

Engine's starting to loosen up a little & certainly feels more lively, gear change is quite slow sometimes, maybe this is because again it needs loosening up? I have just discovered the beauty of 5th gear - pickup from 70 - 100 is just fantastic - off the pubic highway of course:)....

Handling coninues to amaze - you can really chuck it around the twisties & it feels planted, only a hint of understeer - makes it all worth the while coming home the scenic route.

MP3 Stream - Sounds great, ok it isn't a pro-logic unit from a Volvo but it seems to cope quite well when you screw it up a little. Ok I am getting on a bit & no longer want my audio to make my ears bleed but it really isn't that bad. I use my MP3 player most of the time conneted to the Aux-in - it's a creative Zen (old'en) but sounds crisp & bass delivery is just right. I dont know why manufaturers don't provide a built in Hard drive to store all your tunes? I test drove a Mitsubishi Outlander before I bought the Scout & they had a superb ICE Sytem - you basically load all of your CD's one by one & it will simply store all this to the hard drive - perfect! I am sure it wouldn't cost that much to add in as standard & do away with the cd changer in the boot.

The seats are pretty decent, I recently done a 380mile round trip & was suprised that my back didn't start to play up like it normally does, the road noise can be mind numbing when you are on older concrete sections on m/ways (like down in Portsmouth M27), but is acceptable on most new tarmac.

Fuel consumption seems suprisingly good too, I can average between 44-47 on long jaunts, however how accurate is the on board MFD anyway?

So first impressions are all good & pleased I never went down the Audi/BMW route, always a nice feeling to know you saved yourself a few grand.

Still a way to go yet but looking forward to it.

Wilko

:microwav:

Xenon Lights - I have been getting flashed by other road users & the strange thing is that the spread of light on a dark country road seems to abrubtly end around 30 - 40 yrds or so? Could it be the dazzle of Xenons generally? I am not carrying much load?

It's very common to find the Xenon headlights not properly setup during PDI.