Octavia RS seat cover fraying

GAFF

Have you had your seat cover replaced (Octavia RS)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you had your seat cover replaced (Octavia RS)

• Yes Drivers side cover
    • Yes Passangers side cover
    • Yes both
    • None
    • Frayed- but too lazy too get it sorted

I've been given the wear and tear excuse as well :( . I had a thread come loose that looked really bad. Since then I've cut the loose thread as close to the seat as possible and everything looks ok now.

Doesn't give mich confidence in what they will be like in a few years time though.

Colin

• 1 month later...

I got a phone call yesterday from Skoda. I was told they'd give me 2 replacement seat covers but I'd have to pay for fitting, due to the age of my car (2001) and getting use out of the original ones.

I'm a bit annoyed because after looking through my records I disagree,

The drivers seat cover was last replaced on the 25/7/03, this was due to the cover, which had been replaced on the 23/4/03 not sitting correctly. When the car was in on the 1/3/04 for its 30k service, I showed dealer this so I think its unacceptable that cover only lasted less than 8 months (approx 6000 miles), especially when you take into account it was like this for a period of time. The original cover, which had been on the car, was first shown to the garage on the 10/9/02, which is less than a year after I purchased the car.

With regards to the Passengers seat cover, the first record I have of mentioning it to the dealer was on the 24/2/03, that

I'm awaiting a decision from my dealer as to whether they are going to replace mine too............. 52 plate, witrh 14K on the clock. Hardly wear and tear at that age.

fingers crossed eh!

Gilly

Dealer agreed to replace my driver seat cover with no problems, 2001 octy 35000 miles.

With the seats being part white the fanatical cleaning i subject them to probably wore them out more than actually being sat in etc.:D

what do you think with mine, 2001 car with 19k on the clock, too old?

No way, mileage is the only half acceptable method for playing the wear and tear card and your car millage is to low to be showing such signs.

I got a phone call yesterday from Skoda. I was told they'd give me 2 replacement seat covers but I'd have to pay for fitting, due to the age of my car (2001) and getting use out of the original ones.

I'm a bit annoyed because after looking through my records I disagree,

The drivers seat cover was last replaced on the 25/7/03, this was due to the cover, which had been replaced on the 23/4/03 not sitting correctly. When the car was in on the 1/3/04 for its 30k service, I showed dealer this so I think its unacceptable that cover only lasted less than 8 months (approx 6000 miles), especially when you take into account it was like this for a period of time. The original cover, which had been on the car, was first shown to the garage on the 10/9/02, which is less than a year after I purchased the car.

With regards to the Passengers seat cover, the first record I have of mentioning it to the dealer was on the 24/2/03, that

Hiya Colm, My claim is in with Phoenix Motors since last friday. I was in with them a fortnight ago, they took all my details and promptly lost them. :mad: Had to go back to them yesterday as Skoda Ireland wanted photographs of the fraying. Is this not a recall issue in the UK?? I thought Skoda UK had issued a bulletin about this.Regards David

There probably haven't been enough people in Ireland looking for it to be replaced under warranty.

I'll PM you details of the person I was dealing with. Maybe you and Fergal could e:mail them to show this is not just an individual case, as you both suffer from the same issue.

Skoda are replacing the seat base under warranty. The chap I was talking to also mentioned the word leatherette when talking about the Octy vRS seats. Are they leather or not?

Have your seat covers frayed and been replaced under warranty

No, but where the white/silver fabric joins the leather(ette) it's starting to get a bit hairy (20k miles/2 years). I suspect the cover is a synthetic, maybe nylon. If it gets bad and I'm out of warranty, I may pluck up courage to _quickly_ waft a gas blowlamp over it to seal any fraying!

Regards: Jim Ford

No' date=' but where the white/silver fabric joins the leather(ette) it's starting to get a bit hairy (20k miles/2 years). I suspect the cover is a synthetic, maybe nylon. If it gets bad and I'm out of warranty, I may pluck up courage to _quickly_ waft a gas blowlamp over it to seal any fraying!

Regards: Jim Ford[/quote']

That's where the problem is. Along the line where the silver material meets the leather @ the front part of the seat.Regards David