Fabia vRS BLT Engine Hesitation.

VRStu

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fact that people are having issues with the 9mm is concerning. I've been running mine since may with the 9mm and results have been brilliant (touching a lot of wood).

Previously, folk were having trouble where the 9mm was fitted after the initial dealer fix proved unsatisfactory. This appeared to be due to the fact that the dealer fitted a 14.5mm in the 'wrong' position by the valve rather than in the easier to access pipework. It was deemed that the gasket near the valve should be 20-something mm as it was on the comparable pipework of the EUROIII EGR.

In conclusion the only gasket that should be changed from standard is the one fitted to the pipework as per the diagram in the guide. Any alterations to gaskets fitted in other positions appears to cause problems.

I know that mine is set up correct as i removed a crudely drilled out gasket from the correct place and replaced it with a properly engineered, machine bore'd 9mm replacement.

2 questions:

1)Did you let skoda try and fix it first?

2)If yes, how big was the gasket that you removed?

1) no

2) therefore it was 25mm

:D

Going to reset the light and see what happens, if it comes on again I'll try a slightly bigger one. :)

Right the plot thickens, I had to drive the car to work today still with the emissions light on, slow and steady was the name of the game. Anyway, as I was leaving work earlier the emissions light went out, (maybe the bulb blew ;) ).

Right, gonna give it quick scan and see what fault codes were logged. Skoda's eh, who'd buy 'em :)

Right scanned the car and got...

"19586 - EGR System Regulation Range Exceeded - Intermittent"

...which is the same code a clogged EGR valve would give, which is effectively what its got by reducing the air to the valve. Cleared it and hopefully it'll stay off for a while... :)

I did the 9mm fix on my remapped vRS myself a couple of months ago. It was great until the emissions light came on several weeks later. I left it for a while in the hope that it would go away of its own accord. It didn't so I bottled it and put the original 25mm gasket back and it went off soon after.

Anyay, I've since got the Vag-com stuff and wondered that if I were to put the 9mm gasket back again, and the light came on again, would the Vag-com get rid of it? And if it did, would it just be hiding any serious emmisions problems?

So, in a nut shell: 9mm back in, emisions light back on, remove light with Vag-com but keep 9mm gasket in- is my car gonna be ok?

Cheers.

BTW, had the bottom bolt cross-threaded myself. Hours later got someone cleverer than me to have a look. He just threaded the bolt through the other way first and then back in the original way. Back in in 10 mins- maybe worth trying for others before they go paying someone?

I did the 9mm fix on my remapped vRS myself a couple of months ago. It was great until the emissions light came on several weeks later. I left it for a while in the hope that it would go away of its own accord. It didn't so I bottled it and put the original 25mm gasket back and it went off soon after.

Anyay, I've since got the Vag-com stuff and wondered that if I were to put the 9mm gasket back again, and the light came on again, would the Vag-com get rid of it? And if it did, would it just be hiding any serious emmisions problems?

So, in a nut shell: 9mm back in, emisions light back on, remove light with Vag-com but keep 9mm gasket in- is my car gonna be ok?

Cheers.

BTW, had the bottom bolt cross-threaded myself. Hours later got someone cleverer than me to have a look. He just threaded the bolt through the other way first and then back in the original way. Back in in 10 mins- maybe worth trying for others before they go paying someone?

Yes, VAG-COM can be used to remove the fault code and clear the light, however if it keeps appearing it could be hiding a bigger fault. As too what its doing to emission levels or the economy I've no idea, but I'm gonna monitor it over the next few weeks. If the light comes on too many times, I'm gonna go for the official Skoda fix.

Have you checked VAG-COM to see what code it logged?

As to putting the bolt in from the other side, I'd be extremely careful. If the thread of the bolt is that damaged it could damage the threads in the pipe. But if it worked for you :thumbup:

slight problem- I cant get my V-Gom to work. It's an ebay jobbie I'm afraid. AFIK I'm installing everything right but it says the port is ok but can't find the interface. I'll have a play and see if I can get it going.

In the meantime, I got no light at present as I put the 25mm gasket back in and the light went out. So if I get the vag-com going I'll put the 9mm one back in and get the code if the light comes back on.

Get back to you.

Cheers.

Mines an ebay jobbie too. I'm guessing its usb, if so make you've set the device to COM 1, 2, 3 or 4 in windows device manager. Higher numbers will not work. Try that, else post in the VAG-COM section [trying to save this thread getting too off topic] :)

I wonder if we might get some sort of poll going to see who is suffering with cel light post-9mm gasket!?!?!?! Or would it attract too much of the wrong attention???

Mines an ebay jobbie too. I'm guessing its usb, if so make you've set the device to COM 1, 2, 3 or 4 in windows device manager. Higher numbers will not work. Try that, else post in the VAG-COM section [trying to save this thread getting too off topic] :)

Maybe I can sneak one more post in before it gets booted out lol!

I installed the software and drivers and it shows up now in the usb section of device manager as 'usb to serial converter'. Is that where I would try to change the com port? (cant look right now I'm away from my computer)

Poll sounds like a good idea.

I have had official skoda fix. 14.5mm near the EGR valve. No good , stutters.

I have replaced the gasket at the point in the original DIY guide and am happy as a bunny (9mm gasket). Done 12,000 mile since and no orange light.

Only time i got orange light was when i had the car remapped. Now back to standard.

I have had the 14mm fix and then fitted the 9mm and had a remap at Chipboost with no problems at all and no warning lights have appeared, the car runs nice and smooth which is more down to the remap I would think, the 14mm fix cured my stutter but I fitted the 9mm anyway as this made the tick over less lumpy.

Strange scenario here.............

My wife and I both have a vRS with the BLT engine code. I fitted a 9mm gasket to both cars about 4 months ago to get rid of the stutter. Worked great - much smoother.

Couple of weeks ago I had to take my car in for some warranty work so decided to be on the safe side and swapped the 9mm gasket back to the 25mm one. The dealer on the test drive noticed that I had the stutter, contacted me and said they would fit a different gasket - the 14.5mm one I assume.

The stutter appears to have gone but I seem to be about 5 or 6 mpg down.

Could the 14.5mm gasket have an effect on mpg?

I'm thinking about putting the 9mm one back in and seeing what happens.

Mark

Hi

I'm due to pick up my september 05 registered vRS on Sat :) However, how do I find out if my engine carries this dreaded "BLT Code"? I can't seem to find an explination, sorry if this is repeated!!

Thank you

BLT is a prefix on the engine code. Should be in your service schedule, on a sticker under the boot carpet, and also on your V5, plus elsewhere no doubt. September 05 should be okay :)

EDIT: didn't realise that you don't already own it