VRS Smoking??

rik_t

Hi,

I have raised this issue in the past. My VRS seems to smoke a lot, its a 53 reg with 18k on the clock. I took it into the dealers a while ago and they said it was normal for the PD engine. How come my wifes 307, even when I floor it does not smoke but in the VRS just accelerating slightly away from the lights and I can see a light cloud of smoke. If this is normal I am not impressed.

Currently running some diesel sport 4 treatment to see if it helps, then I'm going to take it to another dealer to see what they say as I'm not happy.

Any views?

Rik

Both ours smoke a lot..... As far as i'm aware it's just a characteristic / trait of the engine..... I've noticed the same behaviour when following Ibiza FR's, Polo GT's, etc.... which have the same engine. Also the fact that the back of the car is shaped like a brick doesn't help as the airflow at the back of the car just pulls the clag up into view etc....

The dealer was telling you how it is on this one.

Cheers

Dave.

TBH 18k within three to three and half years is low, low mileage. Chances are it hasn't ever been revved much in its life. Go give it an Italian tuneup ;):D

Apparently, supermarket fuels also cause more smoke (I don't know as I've only every used Shell). May be worth trying some Millers, highly recommended by some.

Oh, and a little smoke is expected, but not clouds

HTH :D

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/search.php?do=process ;)

Yep, VW say no additives in PD engines, thats why I don't use. Also, I haven't noticed much smoke from mine - then again its gets taken to red line one a month or there about. Think thats the key to clearing out the soot :)

How much smoke is a lot of smoke anyway, take some videos and post them on youtube. Alternatively look at the video of Devonutopia fabia at Santa Pod on youtube - now that is smokey... :rofl:

18k on a 53 plate why bother getting a diesel! :rolleyes:

They all smoke its the way it is, you could try taking it for a blast to see if it cleans it out abit but it will always smoke. As for the 2.0HDi not smoking, it does but the zorst is normally pointed down towards the ground.

Mine has 61k on the clock and is an 04 plate, it still smokes even on Shell albeit less in my opinion than other makes of diesel.

Warm it up, rev it hard through the gears, change air filter as they get dirty enough to cause smoking a lot sooner than the 40k interval implies.

Check boost pipes are not leaking boost as that causes smoke too, and get the MAF checked :)

The wifes new fabia is being run in 'Italian' style. and does not smoke a bit, and goes a lot better that it did 838 miles ago:D

It has used a bit of oil, but that is to be expected:thumbup:

Mines got a Revo Remap to 170 on it and smokes like a bitch always has and all lads that have followed me tell me it smokes loads, not concerned no oil used so wheres the problem, She smoked a considerable amount when i blew off a 730 beemer last Sunday out of Nottingham much to the delight of the 2 lasses in the A4 that he had just cut up!!!

My fabia smokes a lot

Its got a dragon box fitted which didnt help matters

The millers and cotton filter have cut the smoke a bit and i only use bp and shell diesel in a vain attempt to cut down the smoke

There is no major oil consumption

So

I use my smokey **** end to annoy other drivers when they get too close

You can have loads of fun dumping smoke on cars behind you,especially at this time of year when the car with no roof brigade are out:thumbup:

Mines got a Revo Remap to 170 on it and smokes like a bitch always has and all lads that have followed me tell me it smokes loads, not concerned no oil used so wheres the problem, She smoked a considerable amount when i blew off a 730 beemer last Sunday out of Nottingham much to the delight of the 2 lasses in the A4 that he had just cut up!!!

If you get the cupra PD160 intake and a decent panel filter, it reduces smoke quite alot... i do find that Revo overfuels over 3.5k (well mine does anyway)

I've had my 55 plate for about 4 months now and put 3,500 miles on it. I've found that Sainsbury's fuel causes loads of smoke, and millers only goes a small way to correct this.

Running on BP Ultimate or Total Excellium pretty much cures the problem though. In addition, I get a few more miles out of a tank, and the car seems smoother.

With the map I have on at the moment I get about 200ish bhp and little smoke. Things that made mine smoke were:

* MAF failure (once)

* Boost pipe leak (for a while)

* Blown off boost pipe (once, MASSIVE smoke and limp mode :P due to not tight enough clip, other time because I hoofed it and the clip failed :eek: )

* Dirty air filter - don't underestimate the effect this has, after 40k the paper filter is just filty and I would not leave it in for longer than 20k tbh. Green filter needs cleaning every 10k the very most...