This should prove to be quite interesting (leaky Fabia owners, take note)

Scoo123

My rear windows have a habit of opening slightly over time - god knows how (!?) - and letting in water which has now stained my back seats.

I haven't had time to read every single post on here but I'd be interested in helping publicise (I'm a journalist) any kind of group action against Skoda for this, or any other common fault that the company and dealers really should be warning customers about at the very least, if not correcting them before they are allowed to sell the car.

Am just off to my dealer now to get my Fabia picked up after a completely unrelated fault but will log onto this thread again to see what people are doing next.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my home diy £7 repair seems to have worked on the rears

carpets are bone dry after a heavy storm and when opening the door a small pool of water gathers on the metal sill but nothing on the plastic seals....

now to do the fronts.....

When I had my Fabia VRS, I cured the leaking door problem (and a colleagues VRS at work) by drilling three holes in the door seal at the bottom.

I had noticed that water always sat on top of the seal. Capiliary action then did the rest when the door was shut and the water was sucked into the car by the fabric on the bottom of the door trim.

I noticed that there were already drain holes in the bottom of the seal so I figured that three in the top of the seal (in the hollow) part allowed the water to pass into the seal and drain away outside the car. It sounds a bit drastic but it worked and neither of us had wet carpets again. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best!!!

^^ More than once, I've thought about taking a hot skewer to the seals, but never dared - maybe I will, as my sealant fix was never 100% effective in heavy rain (the carpets don't get wet anymore, but water still ends up on the seal...)

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a huge problems with musty smells and leaks. Am in contact with Skoda Uk at the moment. Am interested if anyone did actually pursue this matter with Watchdog- I am determined to pursue the matter until Skoda rectifies the situation.Has anyone else had any joy out of Skoda UK - other than repalcing faulty seals? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

My 2007 Fabia vRS had all 4 doors sealed under warranty 2 weeks ago after I reported that the rear N/S door seal was letting water in. That door seal still lets water in so I will need to book the car in again. :(

I had mine sealed under warranty, now the rears are leaking again.

Can I take it back now and ask them to fix them properly now it's out of warranty?

Ben

I would. Bad workmanship and all that.

mine leaked few years back got new carpets and re sealed under warranty but now leaking again!!!!!! vehicle is now out of warranty apart from that fault car has been excelent :o)

• 2 weeks later...
My 2007 Fabia vRS had all 4 doors sealed under warranty 2 weeks ago after I reported that the rear N/S door seal was letting water in. That door seal still lets water in so I will need to book the car in again. :(
An update. Sealed again yesterday but the leak was still apparent when I picked it up today. It is now going to have the door (regulator) carrier replaced under warranty as that is another fix if the original fix fails to cure the problem.

This is the original leak showing where it gets into the car and then on and under the carpet:

Door carrier leak 1.jpg

And this is the leak still present after the first fix:

Door%20carrier%20leak.jpg

I've had a dig around at the front carpets, and they're bone dry, but you can feel the rears are ever so slightly damp, so i'm not going to bother sealing the fronts unless i really need to.

Although, i may be replacing the speakers soon, so if the door panel is off, i'll may as well do them too.

My Dad used bathroom sealant on the other side, and said there was "no need to smooth it in"

Needless to say it leaked again the next day.

bear in mind he's the 50 year old plumber and I'm the politics student :roll:

To put it nicely - your dads a numpty.

smoothing it doesn't just make it look nice but pushes it in contact with all lumps and bumps.

i fit windows and doors for a living and imagine the amount of call backs i'd get for leak problems if i didn't do this

• 1 month later...

2004 Fabia Estate

Nearside rear door worst, offside rear not too bad, front nearside a bit, drivers dry.

A limited solution is to try to prevent water getting into the door in the first place from the outside glass seal.

Try silicone based spray on the rubber seal, this gets the water to bead and not to flow into the door.

2004 Fabia Estate

Nearside rear door worst, offside rear not too bad, front nearside a bit, drivers dry.

A limited solution is to try to prevent water getting into the door in the first place from the outside glass seal.

Try silicone based spray on the rubber seal, this gets the water to bead and not to flow into the door.

But is a pain in the butt should you ever want any paintwork done on that door.

can anyone tell me where i can get this kit to stop the doors leaking, my car is damaged and there is no warrenty

I did my 2 pass doors a few weeks a go with a good day and black gutter silicone from B&Q worked

PS i found this fix on this site