Best Value For Money Upgrades On Octy Vrs Your Advice Please

HI ALL... oops... hi all, just purchased a octy vrs 03 plate wanting to upgrade it performance wise can anybody give any sudjestions and prices with power gains..

im already going to have it remaped so anything else will do .. im pretty hands on so just the basics will do as ive already got ideas but as you all know its better to listen to experience first..

ive had a few fast cars over the last few years (volvo v70 t5 470bhp, various scoobys, passat turbo sport 280bhp, porsche 924 turbo series 1, corrado g60 engined modded up to the roof, ohh and not to mention my sunday 1pm till 4pm toy...ariel atom stage 2.

so the octy is pretty much shopping trolley grade at mo.

ive added an n75j valve and a forge recirc..up to now so any sudjestions???????:thumbup:

Two ways to go here, make the car stay faster and stop quicker by looking at suspension and brakes - rear ARB is best for £££ spent for grins gained in this respect.

Otherwise, biggest gain for limited outlay comes from a straightforward remap. However this invariable may lead you wanting more so thereafter you need to plan your spending carefully as you will need to spend ££££ to get really noticable gains after a remap. I am not one who can be convinced that spending £100 on a slightly bigger bit of pipe makes an awful lot of difference! (with the exception of a bigger intercooler for summer running).

i'm interested in how to make a car go as fast as yours lee,we were at silverstone earlier in the year,and were on track with the ultimate jap car club,and lee's was the one that blew by me the quickest,this man knows how to make an octy proper fast:thumbup:

well im looking into a jabba remap as im led to believe thats the way to go? most of my other vag variant cars have been revo remaped..

money is no object but at the same time im tight with it.. what i mean by that is i couldnt justify spending thousands on mods to far outweigh the resale value :cool: when i could buy a better car that would wup its *** standard..

im just wanting to make a few medioka changes in performance if you get what i mean..:thumbup:

Like Lee has said get the rear arb done.

I refused to believe that a small piece of metal could do so much but once i fitted it i was convinced totally

As mentioned previous rear ARB is a must,also a very cheap mod is Powerflex dogbone mount bush.For less than £20 it makes a difference to the way the power is put down.

I would also fit a replacement air filter like green cotton one.

I think a lot depends on how much you want to spend as to what to buy.

I remember when i went to my 1st meet after i got mine,i saw a guy who used to come on here(Ant vrs) with his car and thought i don't want to spend that much on mine,as i just wanted a few mods and remap.

Things change and i will be upto that stage when i get mine remapped.

Do a search(or 2) and you will make your mind up on the best mods to do.:thumbup:

• Administrators

Depends on your driving style of course. For me either track or cross country, then remap and pads / discs , arb's in that order.

Halfing your stopping distance and improving stability in cornering gives you more speed boost than power alone.

Or if you know your going to do it, filter, fmic, tip, 100cel exhaust then remap, or custom turbo route.

The more you do to suspension and power on these FWD chassis though means traction does crop up from time to time as a topic for your cursing. I've found the above with fsd dampers gives me a good compromise for cross country. If it was totally smooth A road / occasionally driver / track then some insane coilover would do, but it's too compromised for a B road then ;)

Given your history all of the above is for others really, but I think you'd like the shopping trolley wit the first set of options, maybe the 2nd at a push; it will never feel like the others, so why try to over compromise it ;)

Tyres too ;) Personally of all that I've used and in 100 odd k in octy's now I've tested a few, pirelli nero's do grip well and are not too bad in the cold, but carry a price tag.

ARB is 28mm (a Neuspeed jobbie from Awesome GTI), it has adjustment so that you may vary the amount of twisting action it will resist.

Dog mounts replace the rubber jobbie in the mount at the back/underside of the gearbox/engine block (couldn't tell you off hand exactly where it mounts, but its pretty obvious when you look under the car) and is very cheap at about £15 (easy to fit yourself I like to think so long as you sensibly support the engine/gearbox while you swap 'em over).

However, it does create more noise and vibration inside the car, but this does dampen down after being "run in" but never as quiet as standard.

MONEY and lots of it ! oh and a bit of knowledge or a good performance garage eh Lee ;)

Yes, money obviously does help in this respect! As for a good perfromance garage, bear in mind that the engine work was originally being conducted by TSR prior to going up **** creak without a paddle, so in this respect "good" is not a word that would immediately spring to mind. However, the basic principle was there if not the workmanship and end product.

To create a fast FWD car, you to consider handling, stopping and well as power and how you are going to get this onto the tarmac, and utlimately what you want from the car. Manufacturers spend an awful lot of effort on tuning suspension and eliminating noise for good reason that modifiers totally undo. The Octy may well fly on the track, but on the road its ride is harsh much to the displeasure of the other half. Hence the recent aquisation of a Superb :D At high speed on a dual carriageway the Superb is much more composed and effortless to drive. The Octy hops and skips all over the place on anything but the smoothest of surfaces and requires massive concentration which to me is what driving should be all about.