Reject any proposals to ban or restrict the use of older cars (10 years)T- Petition

anewman

Thought I would post this here as it affects us with the older Skoda's, and also the early Felicia's. If admins believe it's better suited to another section I'm happy for it to be moved. It currently has 13,596 signatures and only connection I have with it is I looked at the Downing Street petition website, hit transport and looked at the list.

Petition to: Reject any proposals to ban or restrict the use of older cars.

Several EU proposals across the years are dangerous to the classic car movement. One that has been under consideration is to ban the use of cars older than 10 years. Similarly, Edinburgh City Council is considering the banning of cars over 15 years old from the town centre. These, and similar, proposals directly threaten the classic car movement, and encourage the manufacture of new cars, with the attendent environmental issues of sourcing raw materials, manufacturing, distriuting and scrapping the spiralling supply of new vehicles.

I've never heard of any plans to ban cars older than 10 years... any such plan would be met with so much objection, and politically it couldn't happen.

Signed it anyway.

Like most of these petitions , they are campaining against something that there are no plans to introduce.

Googling for this finds lots of people foaming at the mouth when discussing the petition , but no mention of any actual EU proposals

I think there was in the news not so long ago that one European city had banned a certain type of very old polluting car, and they were shown on the news driving through the city for the last time or in protest?! Can't remember the exact details.

To be honest I wouldn't imagine a City centre ban would happen based on purely age, but I'm guessing we all thought road pricing and black boxes compulsorily fitted in cars would never be considered too, so I'd say it's definitely worth voicing an opinion against any such suggestions.

This petition certainly has plenty of signatures anyway, I wonder if it will get enough to warrant a response from Mr Brown. I like how the one from Mr Bliar about road pricing got lost in my spam folder.

Came across this. Looks like this perhaps best describes the current situation.

EU Want to ban cars older than 10years old!! - Alfa Romeo Forum

It's NOT cars over 10 years old. It's pre emission control

(< ?1993) cars.

It's NOT an EU policy. It's the fact that ONE Germany

city has introduced this and Edinburgh council is

going on a jolly to take a look at it.

The only EU involvement is that if cities break EU

set guidelines on ground pollution more than a certain

number of times in a given year, they can get heavily fined.

think there was in the news not so long ago that one European city had banned a certain type of very old polluting car, and they were shown on the news driving through the city for the last time or in protest?! Can't remember the exact details.

...You are quite right mate. It was Stuttgart, they banned all pre 1996 cars for entering thier city centre.

This is just another move by the PC brigade. Should be all taken out and shot. If they banned older cars just think of the effect on the environment...everyone would have to buy new cars, forcing production of cars going up heavily, meaning more damage to the planet. Its more environmentally friendly to recycle an old car by buying secondhand than to keep buying new cars. Fools.

Both my cars are 1995 M-reg vehicles. I have given up on newer vehicles after losing £5,000 in depreciation in just over 2 years ownership of a Ford Explorer. I'm gonna run older cars for the forseeable future. The Favorit cost £300 about 2 years ago and I blew a whopping £700 on a Frontera Sport 2.8TDI earlier this year. (That's the one with the Isuzu engine). At least I won't be losing 5 grand on those two...

Simon H

Yeah definitely best being at the more favourable end of depreciation - no point trying to keep up with the joneses with a new car every possible reg and flaunting it, when you can save money for that ever increasing petrol and enjoy better holidays etc etc than those with new cars :D

I'll never understand the people who refuse to buy older cars on grounds of reliability and safety either. In terms of reliability I've never had a problem myself. In terms of safety I try not to drive like a complete idiot.

I'll personally never get a loan for a car. I don't see the point in paying extra to get something you can't afford anyway, when you can get decent cars for under £1k very easily.

I think my next car [after mine's past it's useable life (probably engine failure worse than head gasket, or severe rust that fails an MOT)] will probably be another Favorit, or if I put the boat out a felicia. Strip my existing car of good bits and scrap it. Seems like the most cost conscious way of motoring to me.

I seem to remember that in france older cars are restricted on how far they can travel from their registered address, and doesnt Prague and Paris have a similar inner city exclusion or is that just a proposal

Yeah definitely best being at the more favourable end of depreciation - no point trying to keep up with the joneses with a new car every possible reg and flaunting it, when you can save money for that ever increasing petrol and enjoy better holidays etc etc than those with new cars

I'll never understand the people who refuse to buy older cars on grounds of reliability and safety either. In terms of reliability I've never had a problem myself. In terms of safety I try not to drive like a complete idiot.

I'll personally never get a loan for a car. I don't see the point in paying extra to get something you can't afford anyway, when you can get decent cars for under £1k very easily.

I think my next car [after mine's past it's useable life (probably engine failure worse than head gasket, or severe rust that fails an MOT)] will probably be another Favorit, or if I put the boat out a felicia. Strip my existing car of good bits and scrap it. Seems like the most cost conscious way of motoring to me.

Totally agree there, there will never be an environmentally friendly car. Exhaust emissions are only part of it, but it is is the only citeria by which cars are judged to be polluters/non polluters. They should take into account the whole life emmissions, the energy used in research/development and manufacturing, extracting raw materials (open cast mining methods for the precious metals used in the catalyst, sensors and electronics), transportation, R134A refrigerant emissions through natural diffusion through the A/C seals (how often do you hear of people needing an A/C re-gas?) and when there is an accident (the condensor is usually forward of the radiator). In 1995 there were 0.16 million tonnes CO2 equivalent from car A/C in 2005 this figure was 3.06. Also the deign life of a modern car, the last thing that the manufacturers want is a car that will last for more than 10 years, the Octavia 1 is designed to last for 15 maximum before the airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioners require replacement, with all the complicated electronics in them they can be beyond economical repair well before then.

Modern cars better for the environment? on the single emissions criteria - yes, take the other factors into account - no, it's the goverment and car manufacturers propaganda to keep the economy running and to line their pockets.

I seem to remember that in france older cars are restricted on how far they can travel from their registered address, and doesnt Prague and Paris have a similar inner city exclusion or is that just a proposal

I dunno how far they are restricted to travel but one of my neighbours has recently been visited by one of his relatives who lives in central France. He turned up in a 1960/70's corrugated sided Citroen van - not one of those 2CV things but a van about the same size as a Mk1 Transit or Bedford CF. Brave man...

Simon H

. Also the deign life of a modern car, the last thing that the manufacturers want is a car that will last for more than 10 years, the Octavia 1 is designed to last for 15 maximum before the airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioners require replacement, with all the complicated electronics in them they can be beyond economical repair well before then.

Modern cars better for the environment? on the single emissions criteria - yes, take the other factors into account - no, it's the goverment and car manufacturers propaganda to keep the economy running and to line their pockets.

Exactly, and manufacturers these days keep introducing new models every few years, no longer is there any long production runs like the VW Beetle (albeit with production updates). Its the old car = banger mindset, thats not all true as there some very well cared for older (Not yet classic) cars out there. There was some rumblings in the classic car world about potential Euro regulations like this, apparently out of all the European countries, we Brits are big fans of older cars. No goverment, British, European or whatever, is going stop me buying, restoring, using a classic car.

Note - dont know if this is true, but heard that in Japan you are not allowed to own a car (unless its of historic value etc) over 5 years old.

A blanket ban on older cars would be foolish. Ours are 'L' and 'M' and 'P' reg. and all have catalysts. What matters is that every car on the road should be roadworthy and not excessively polluting. That's what MoT tests are for. If Edinburgh or wherever leans on the Bill to pull people over for generating smoke and require them to get a test (and have valid insurance, tax etc.) then that's fine by me. It won't hurt those that care for their cars and want to drive safely in them. Let's not get all steamed up about something that isn't even a proposal yet!

Taff

They will be doing a similar thing in London from next year, initially for lorries and later vans will be added:

Low Emission Zone | Transport for London

I suppose we could consider that the death knell, as it looks like the start of a slippery slope to me.

Another consideration in this possible proposal is that as new cars become more complex, they become more difficult for independently minded tinkerers like most of us here to work on. I mean, who here's had the head off a vRS yet?

I haven't paid more than £500 for a car in my life - that was two and a half years ago for my Felly - and all I've paid for are parts, one clutch replacement (I was flush lol) and a tow.

As FordFan says: "it's the goverment and car manufacturers propaganda to keep the economy running and to line their pockets." I'll go one further and say that it's THEIR economy they want to keep going, not ours.