What made you guys Skoda fans. And your First Skoda

:rofl: I can't see the original post. I personally think my Favorit is quite spacious as I'm 6'3" and can happily sit behind the wheel. I can't see what you could get that would be more spacious in the same form factor of car with such cheap insurance etc.

half the reason i drive a felicia is cuz there is loads of space.

i'm 6'6" and have plenty of room.

Any reason why?

I dont like the look of the new fabia,

My next car will be in the production run of the new fabia so i will have to look for something that i like the look of and hopefully as well built or better as the skoda .

Polo,golf,audi a3 or maybe a clio

yup im that shallow:D

I dont like the look of the new fabia,

My next car will be in the production run of the new fabia so i will have to look for something that i like the look of and hopefully as well built or better as the skoda .

Polo,golf,audi a3 or maybe a clio

yup im that shallow:D

I'm with you on the new fabia, but for the love of God don't buy a Clio!!!

:goodvibe:

Well I've always been obsessed with four wheeled things.

Anyway I had a cousin who I knocked about with at the time. He was into rallying. I sold him a damaged 130 through a friend which he rebuilt and rallied. He summersalted it in spectacular fashion as well. But thats another story.

Then my father bought a new Felicia in May1996. I duly got this after him in 2002. Then he got a Fabia in Oct 2003 and I got his old 1998 facelift Felicia 1300 GLi, which I still run. Great cars. Easy to fix. Cheap to run(get a genuine 46mpg) Relatively hassle free motoring. Now also cheap to buy (If anybody knows a low mileage late model in very good order let me know)

Get involved with Skoda Owners Club a bit (I'm into the car club scene)

In fact I had thought of having a Fabia 8 valve next but in many respects I prefer a Felicia.

Might consider a 16 valve Fabia, or a turbo diesel Fabia. But then again I've heard excellent things about TD Octavias. Or an excellent low mileage Felicia!

Some people still smile at my thing about Skodas but thats their problem, and anyway I've always liked the underdog.

:huep:

:goodvibe:

Well I've always been obsessed with four wheeled things.

Anyway I had a cousin who I knocked about with at the time. He was into rallying. I sold him a damaged 130 through a friend which he rebuilt and rallied. He summersalted it in spectacular fashion as well. But thats another story.

Then my father bought a new Felicia in May1996. I duly got this after him in 2002. Then he got a Fabia in Oct 2003 and I got his old 1998 facelift Felicia 1300 GLi, which I still run. Great cars. Easy to fix. Cheap to run(get a genuine 46mpg) Relatively hassle free motoring. Now also cheap to buy (If anybody knows a low mileage late model in very good order let me know)

Get involved with Skoda Owners Club a bit (I'm into the car club scene)

In fact I had thought of having a Fabia 8 valve next but in many respects I prefer a Felicia.

Might consider a 16 valve Fabia, or a turbo diesel Fabia. But then again I've heard excellent things about TD Octavias. Or an excellent low mileage Felicia!

Some people still smile at my thing about Skodas but thats their problem, and anyway I've always liked the underdog.

:huep:

If you can find "FAVFAB" he may be able to assist you with the late good condition l/m Felly ;)

just before I turned 16, my dads friends Felicia failed its MOT with leaking coolant and leak (windscreen)i bought it for £80, fixed it and "done it up" over a year, passed its MOT, its just me that isnt passing my driving test, and due to accident (not my fault) it needs a new oil sump (with me footing the bill as the guy drove off) and the £1k insurance bill, my friends think its a crap car, but its faster, more reliable,than theirs, when they make fun of it, i am smug, becouse I know I have the better car!!!!!!!

my friends think its a crap car, but its faster, more reliable,than theirs, when they make fun of it, i am smug, becouse I know I have the better car!!!!!!!

People are such w*****s over cars. Sooooo much badge snobbery and hey look my reg is newer than yours etc etc.

Yours will probably have cheaper parts than any of theirs too, as no doubt they like their ****roens etc. Bet your insurance is cheaper too as I think the insurers stereotype young boy-racer cars and put the insurance cost of those up.

Bet they also don't realise that Porsche helped design the suspension on your car, (and also the engine mountings assuming on the 1.9d they retained the Favorit design) ;) Can't imagine any of their cars have such a prestigeous name attatched with them or a VW/oooo logo under the bonnet.

well that cool, porsche designed suspension, :), my insurance bill is £970 on MY OWN POLICY with £135 excess (Quinn direct) which is a bargain as my friends in ther chitrons bills are £800, on their parents policy, which is technically illigal, but i do have 1 year no claims (i had a moped when 16) but i do have 3 points for speeding, yes speeding on a 50cc moped, 30 in a 20 zone, anyway, one of my friends has a polo from the same generation, he went in my skoda, and he much prefers it, and weiredly my friend has a same genration seat ibiza (same 1.9D engine) , and my skoda is much much faster (he agrees) and better handling (in my opinion)........ Even my girlfriend (into fasion and crap) her punto (only p reg) gave up the ghost after 70k she wants a skoda, my skoda has 192000 miles on the clock, but is still going strong on only its 2nd clutch!!!!

my skoda has 192000 miles on the clock, but is still going strong on only its 2nd clutch!!!!

That's quite impressive. Given me an idea for a new thread :D

just before I turned 16, my dads friends Felicia failed its MOT with leaking coolant and leak (windscreen)i bought it for £80, fixed it and "done it up" over a year, passed its MOT, its just me that isnt passing my driving test, and due to accident (not my fault) it needs a new oil sump (with me footing the bill as the guy drove off) and the £1k insurance bill, my friends think its a crap car, but its faster, more reliable,than theirs, when they make fun of it, i am smug, becouse I know I have the better car!!!!!!!

If the other guy drove off, you may have a claim through the "Motor Industry Insurers' Bureau", for recovery of uninsured losses in an accident that wasn't your fault.

Also, no promises, but try asking about putting a parent (with their own car and policy) on your policy as a named driver to get your premium down legally.

If the other guy drove off, you may have a claim through the "Motor Industry Insurers' Bureau", for recovery of uninsured losses in an accident that wasn't your fault.

Also, no promises, but try asking about putting a parent (with their own car and policy) on your policy as a named driver to get your premium down legally.

Ive tried the MIB, but they only cover the excess, or £135, but can get the part for less than that, and wont lose my no-claims, so no point

Putting my parent on it didnt reduce it as they arnet the main drive

Thanks anyway :)

• 7 years later...

Thread resurrection ;)

Why did I buy my car? I have never bought a new car (never will....depreciation sucks) and was looking for a performance estate that was not Audi or BMW (I'm not a badge snob...prefer the unusual). I've had a few used versions of sporting estates in the past and wanted something different.

Mind was set on a Subaru Legacy Spec B or Saab 9.5 awd turbo estate when I discovered the 3.6 Superb in a Porsche magazine. Cayenne lump (yes, I know it's the last of the line VR6 inspired units) and was very effective in the VW R36.

The Swiss Gendarme bought several to replace insignia OPC estates here and I started reading up on them. Then, by chance, a BMW dealer near me had a 3.6 come in traded against a new M5. It was a Swiss dealer special edition (read elsewhere on my posts on this - embrach, bit like Skoda version of AGM here). With all the spec it was 67,000 chf - £45k - new and after haggling mine for 20,000 on a leasing deal. About £18k at the time.

Long story short. My first Skoda. It's awesome. I'm slowly upgrading to have a reliable but very quick family sporting estate. And I still get around 30mpg real world driving. Happy Chappy :D

My first was a 2001 Octavia vRS hatch, bought in 2003 with 40 odd thousand miles a which made it affordable for me. I simply loved the look of them, and much preferred it to the Golf and others of the time.

After 4 years and 100,000 or so miles, Sold as I was doing loads of mileage and becoming a dad - decided to get a diesel estate vRS, and after 7 more years moved on to a Superb.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to buy the last couple new, last one cost me about 13k over 8 years - which I don't think is too bad for a car that I enjoyed over the whole period. So far I've had reliable and enjoyable and I feel, good value motoring, with a couple of hiccups on the first octavia - a clutch, a water pump and a couple of accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My first Skoda is my pickup which I bought last year but Skodas have been in my family for a long time.

My grandad had several Estelles which he used to tune up and race about, I remember me and my sister holding on for dear life in the back seat when we used to stay with my grandparents over the summer holidays. Used to put stones on the rear spoiler/air intake and see how long they'd last before they fell off!

My dad used to have crappy second hand cars but in 1994 he bought his first brand new car, a Skoda Favorit GLXie flairline estate in Petrol blue(?). It was like pure luxury compared to what he had before, looked really smart with the alloys spoiler and spotlights, I remember the little immobliser key on the dash, space age!! My dad kept the boot torch and charger when he p/x'd it later on. Still has it.

I passed my test in 2001 and the first car I drove was my mums 1999 Facelift Felicia LXi hatch in dark green, had optional alloys and front spot lights. I remember many fun times at the local cruise doing handbrake turns and burnouts thought I was the best driver ever! Then mum stopped me from using it because I wore the brakes and tyres out too often so I had to settle for a mini!

My parents went on to buy Fabias, one hatch for mum and an estate for dad in matching blue, think they had the 1.4 8v and they were slow but had aircon which was luxury!! Then my dad bought a later Fabia estate with the 1.4 16v which he still has.

Why do I like my Felicia 1.9D? Simple; I've put over 200,000 miles on it in 13 years with very little trouble. What's not to like?

It's not on any hire purchase deal and has outlived every fancy-boy car in the neighbourhood and workhood.

My first Skoda? The one I'm driving now. It's also my first ever car, so there's a bit of attachment because of that. :) And I really only ended up in it because it was the best car available in the price-range I had; right up at £400. Yup. Just that. Everything else that cost about that much, was a complete and utter wreck.

Did everything wrong when buying it, really. Bought it in the dark, without giving it the check-over that I wanted to -- because didn't really have time to having already gotten there late, and the guy selling it had come back to open up again for me.

Sat at the side of the road, in the dark, for a good while trying to figure out how to turn on the lights... (broke something in the headlight adjusting knob while mucking about with it, thinking it was the headlight switch.) There, uh... there may have been panic and nearly tears as I fretted about whether or not I'd just bought a complete and utter lemon with no working electrics.

Eventually, though, my dad turned up to tow me back home from Davenport and I figured out how to switch everything on that was needed. When that Saturday morning arrived, I was dreading what disaster awaited me... and, honestly, it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Almost no oil in it, from a comically huge oil-leak caused by some muppet unbolting the sump then never bolting it back up again; and a patch of rust in one sill (that caused an MOT failure, this time around. Fixed now!) where it looked to have been damaged. I'm slowly fixing the little bits, piece by piece; mostly maintenance things, stuff you'd expect on a car that's over 20 years old.

But! It's been pretty good to me, so far; despite me beating it hard... Driving it like I've stolen it, as my supervisor says. :) And what's made me a fan? Well, er... mostly my cow-orkers perpetual teasing; the gokart-like handling (There's still a lot of badge-hate, it seems...  "Why didn't you buy a real car?" :dull:); and how much the interior seems to remind me of the Zastava Koral (Yugo) that my mother had while I was growing up... Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

My first association with Skoda- an old mate had an Estelle, way back in the early 70's. He'd had a few problems with it, and lent it to me on occasions. I was totally amazed to find it would run with a slack Distributor clamp. First job- set timing and clamp up- car started up first time ,even in the depths of a Yorkshire Winter. Next job- clutch fail, due to the problem with lack of lubrication on the thrust bearing. Scrappie job, as new parts ,in those days were more than value of car. Then engine out job, and fit those bits. But I always had a liking for the way the car was put together - body- rust free, and apart from the drive( half shaft) shaft problems , easy to work on . I'd say it was based on the Beetle. Then some days ,way in the future , I wanted a change, and, LO- there was Furby. Mrs said, "we must down size our car". I test drove this one and loved the feel and the surge when I asked it for ooomph. Motorway -it was capable of getting me a ban. Couple of years alter, Dad had a stroke , many miles from us. Monthly we trod the  M6/M74/A74(M) /M8 and A82 route for 420 miles.On the motorway it behaved like a small car with lots of attitude. On the A 82, it was like a small beast unleashed. I've never had a car that lapped up the miles on this route. Well not of this size.