205/50/17 or 215/45/17 or 225/4517 ? help, what is best?

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the forum for ages about tyres but I cant get a definitive answer !

I have a mildly modded mk1 Octy vRS, I found the stock Continental sport contact's to be pretty good, and I made the mistake of replacing them with the sport contact 2's which are terrible! (and now bald now, didn't last long)

Now, I need a set of 4 and was thinking of either Toyo T1-R's or Goodyear Eagle F1's (GSD2 OR 3) Both of which I have used with a previous modded Fiat Coupe turbo.

But, what size? I have only used the stock 205/50/17, I don't even think toyo/goodyear make them in this size? I don't really want loads of sidewall flex as that ruins the turn in. Also, not to bothered about how long they will last, I am more interested in grip and feel.

It would be good to know what everyone has got/tryed etc etc

Many thanks for any replys!!!

trev. :thumbup:

I found the Toyo T1-R to be hugely better than the Conti sport, felt grippier and more sure footed, especially in the wet. I have now changed to Falken 452's (I got a very good deal on price) and haven't really noticed much difference between them and the Toyo's. I haven't tried the GSD's but many here have used them.

I run 225/45 without any problems on my old vRS.

If you want wider on the back like the post above, then the rear should be 235/40/17 to maintain the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combo.

Would 225/45 on the front and standard 205/50 on the back be ok?

I need to replace my front ones soon and it seems 225/45 are cheaper.

Will most likely be going with Toyo T1-r's on the front as these have been excellent on past cars i have had.

I don't know if anyone is interested but my last bmtroublyou had these on all round and they were great KH35225/45 R17 94W XL (marshall). I don't know what price they are but I will have a look first, these conti sport are **** in snow or on ice.:thumbup: