Bike carrying - on top or on the back?

I have the 2 litre tdi estate with the bars already on the roof.

Given that, in your experience whats best, carry two bikes on the roof or on the back. I dont as yet have a tow bar and I'm not keen on the strap on solution.

I'll be taking them all over France in the summer.

Thanks

I would suggest bikes on the roof. I think it's better and U can always have a quick access to the luggage boot whenever U want. But be careful and check the ceiling hight while entering under roof parkings. As regards mounting on a tow bar, for instance in Latvia, U have to be sure your license plate is clearly visible, or U will get a ticket.

Problem with carrying them on the roof is that at speed the wheel hubs of the bikes are not designed to take that much pressure and you will end up blowing all the grease out the hubs and then you will need to strip them regularly to stop them from waering out too fast. I have a boot mounted carrier that I know is pretty strong as have had it at 125mph with 2 bikes. (German Autobaun so it was legal)

I have to disagree, in my experience at least. Been carrying my Stumpy on the roof for many a year.. Decided it was time to strip the bike down very recently to check a few things over - both front and rear hubs still contained plenty of original manufacturers grease...no sign of it being blown out...

We got a £35 back window type from Motor World. You can see out of the window and it doesn't obsure the number plate or the lights.

It take 5 minutes to assemble, and providing you check the security of the straps occasionally (especially when new) it is perfect. Even the wife can fit it and secure the bikes (3) to it with no problems.

We got a £35 back window type from Motor World. You can see out of the window and it doesn't obsure the number plate or the lights.

It take 5 minutes to assemble, and providing you check the security of the straps occasionally (especially when new) it is perfect. Even the wife can fit it and secure the bikes (3) to it with no problems.

how do you find it for chaffing the paint?

I have a bike carrier that attaches to the towbar. It carries up to 3 bikes & it can tilt to allow you access to the boot.

I got it in Halfords in Dublin, but I am sure they can be got in most of their outlets. If you have any problems in sourcing one, let me know & I will get you the name & model number for same.

Took my car in on Thursday to have a towbar fitted and was slightly surprised to find out it took the Dealers ‘2 DAYS!!!’ and they weren’t kidding. Admittedly they were a little busy at this time of year but even so. The job only books 4 hours but another dealer did say they thought it might take a couple of days. No need a nice Thule 2 bike carried for the towball.

took the Dealers ‘2 DAYS!!!’ and they weren’t kidding. another dealer did say they thought it might take a couple of days.

This is why i went for the roof option, since each time i change cars i'll need to get a towball fitted, and it's the fitting that's expensive. Whereas with rack the most I'll need to change are the feet.

I appreciate the ladies may not want to lift their bike on top of the roof of a car, so the towbar is an equally good option, nor may they not have roof bars to start with....

There are pros & cons for all solutions.

I have a Pendle towbar carrier that I used on my Xantia & Golf which didn't affect the wind resistance & fuel economy too much, but when queuing for a ferry it got nudged by an impatient driver. I didn't see any damage until I took my bikes off when I found he'd buckled 2 wheels! As I don't need a towbar any more, I haven't transferred it to my Octavia.

French Police are known to queue up to book drivers with strap-on bike carriers as they argue they are not safe (on the grounds they are not approved or sold by the car manufacturers). If the bikes block your rear lights or number plate, the UK Police will also book you.

I favour bike carriers on roof bars now as they are the safest method without a towbar (but remember not to go under car park height restrictors etc. If you use Eurotunnel there's no extra cost for the added height.

Chris

I have been debating this for a while myself and have decided for a tow bar option.

The model I have decided to get to carry the bikes is a German make, called Atera with the specific model called Strada.

It has an inbuilt number plate and indicators, will pull out and away from the rear of the car, enabling you to get into the boot and also has locks for the bikes and to attach to the towbar. Which is better than the Thule option.

As the carrier is placed behind the car, it will also be more aerodynamic, than the roof option as well.

Seen the details on The Roof Box Company: sales and hire of Thule roof boxes and other brands of roof boxes, roof bars and bike carriers and after speaking to them on the phone as well, recommended by them.

Hope these details help you out.

I appreciate the ladies may not want to lift their bike on top of the roof of a car, so the towbar is an equally good option, nor may they not have roof bars to start with....

I’m quite tall, so putting a roof rack on a relatively low car didn’t really worry me too much. It was the chances of scratching the roof, as I couldn’t see exactly were the far side was in relation to the holes, that concerned me.:(

roof quick simple way forward however bee so care full regarding car park barriers I know a funny story regarding an advanced driving instructor 2 £500 mountain bikes a set of Thule carriers and bars and a volvo roof you probally can guess the rest!!!