Help required with Skoda MFD SatNav!

I have just fitted a Skoda MFD version B to my MK1 Octavia vRS. The sound won't work, so I guess that I will have to code it? Something about a CAN gateway? Also the SatNav doesn't seem to pick up my location very well although I have a strong GPS signal. Help much apprieciated!

Yes it sounds like it needs coding. If it's coded for a car with the digital audio package then it will only output sound to an amplifier and the speaker outputs will do nothing.

It will take a while for the MFD to give an accurate indication of your location. Mine took about 30 miles before it sorted itself out.

Coding the car using VAG-COM

When installing the MFD into a car not previously equipped with an MFD you will need to recode the CAN Gateway' date=' Radio and your new Navigation Controller. Before changing the coding of any controller it is essential that you make a note of the original coding of that unit.

Radio MFD CD - Controller 56

Softcode should read 03401 for an Octavia fitted with 4 speakers (or more but not DSP Sound System) and Amplified Antenna

Softcode should read 03403 for an Octavia fitted with 4 speakers (or more but not DSP Sound System), a CD Changer and an Amplified Antenna

Softcode should read 03407 for an Octavia fitted with 4 speakers (or more but not DSP Sound System), a CD Changer, Maxidot and an Amplified Antenna

Softcode should read 03021 for an Octavia fitted with DSP Sound System and Amplified Antenna

Softcode should read 03023 for an Octavia fitted with DSP Sound System, a CD Changer and an Amplified Antenna

Softcode should read 03027 for an Octavia fitted with DSP Sound System, a CD Changer, Maxidot and an Amplified Antenna

Navigation MFD CD - Controller 37

Softcode should read 00001 If you have neither Phone Preparation or TMC

Softcode should read 00002 if you have TMC

Softcode should read 00003 if you have Phone Preparation

Softcode should read 00004 if you have Phone Preparation and TMC[/quote']

More info is available here: Octavia-vRS.com - MFD Install Guide

• Like 1

This is the procedure I used with mine to set the tyre size:

Once the Navi unit is in place and connected, insert a navigation CD-ROM, press the NAV button (7) and access the system menu by pressing buttons 3 and 6 at the same time. (see figure 17) When the version menu appears, press the Flag Destination button (13) and wait for the calibration menu to appear. (see figure 19)

Set the Impulse to 8

Set tire size according to this table:

175/80 R14 1940mm

185/55 R15 1785mm

195/65 R15 1935mm

205/45 R16 1800mm

205/55 R16 1930mm

205/50 R17 1945mm

225/45 R17 1930mm

Or use the exact circumference of your tire, in millimeters.

After the settings are complete, you need to drive for 10 miles to give the Navigation MFD enough time to finely calibrate itself for distance and speed.

Although I have since been lead to believe that it was unnecessary.

As I understand it the earlier VW units needed the tyre size to be set but the later ones (and all skoda units) will automatically look for the ABS pulse first.

The easiest way to check that the GALA wire is collected properly is to go into the volume setup page and set the speed/volume slider to maximum... then go for a drive and the volume should get louder as you drive faster. Obviously this method isn't much good to you at the moment, though!

I was convinced that mine wasn't going to work.. it put me on the wrong side of the country, then moved to roughly the right place, then as I drove about it slowly got more and more accurate...

Ah ha! That's why it's not working then.

Yes you need the plug and play adaptor. There's another multipin socket on the back of the MFD. The plug and play loom splits the GALA wire and sends a GALA signal into this aditional multipin socket.... without it, it wont work.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Ah ha! That's why it's not working then.

Yes you need the plug and play adaptor. There's another multipin socket on the back of the MFD. The plug and play loom splits the GALA wire and sends a GALA signal into this aditional multipin socket.... without it, it wont work.

thanks for the info 

• 1 year later...