Pleasing mpg

Hey-lo,

Just went for a little cruise there looking to test out the mpgs at different speeds. Half a tank of diesel and me weighing it down (all 11st) and got 63mpg average on the dual carriage way at 100kmph (60 mph) and 52mpg at 120kmph on the motorway. Then just cruising around between 50 and 60kmph through traffic lights and so on, I was getting just under 50mpg.

Nothing special, I know, but I'm just confirming what I've already read in the advertising speil.

Anyone getting any better figures at the moment? I've heard remapping can boost these figures, am I right?

This is all just another excuse to get out in my new Furby... still grinning btw. :D

thats quite good mate, we managed to get 60mpg on our trip to aberdeen at the weekend but when we had to stop in town we ended up with 59.7mpg at a average speed of 65mph.

On the way back we were only hit about 51mpg

My experience of Fabia vRS mpg to date is in my signature. I drive modestly and have yet to see better than 45.50mpg overall. OTOH I have seen some fantastic - but fantasy - figures on Trip 1, eg 60+ mpg on long runs and 50+ mpg during day to day driving, as reflected in the Trip 2 figure. My Octavia's Trip 1 and 2 figures are far more accurate, ie within around 2 mpg of true mpg.

Hi guys, Fabia 1.9 diesel sdi. Y reg 2001 112,000 on clock

Was getting 64mpg 4 years ago when I bought it, including driving in Wales, bendy and hilly roads, Now getting a regular 60mpg, general motoring around town, short journeys... get similar on m/way long journeys..... only true way to check out mpg is as follows....

Fill tank to brim. note mileage. drive for about 250/300 miles. re-fill tank to brim. note trip mileage. note also litres on petrol station pump. divide number of litres by 4.5 (to give number of gallons) divide mileage from trip recorder by number of gallons.... (use calculator ! !) that gives the TRUE overall MPG.

relying on electronics in the car can be "unreliable" for various reasons.

I could be sad and post my excel spreadsheet :o

On average, over a tank, the trip computer is roughly 2mpg optimistic compared to my calculations. The best calculated average I've had so far is 45.8mpg but I'm on a mission this tankful to see what the fabia can do if driven sensibly all the time.

This morning I did from my house to the duallie - 50 to 60mph, climbing uphill too. Was reading 60mpg. Then downhill on the dualie at about 80, and cruising along the dualie/M5 at about 75 to 80 (bit of 90 to try and get a 330d off my ***) and then some B road at between 40 and 50 to get to my office from the client's. Was reading 74mpg when I got back here. :cool: Very pleasing. :D

Like some others on the forum, I'm probably classified as sad because I have recorded all my diesel usage and mileage since new and am currently on 14,000 miles with my current average sitting at 45.5mgp and my trip computer thingy consistantly reports 5mpg better than I actually get.

My commute to/from work is only about 25miles on a mix of A & B roads with longer runs at the weekend, I wouldn't say I'm a speed demon, but as with most on this forum the VRS just makes you smile everytime you drive it and its good to know that you could get 60mpg but in my opinion its boring driving like that when you know you have all that power.

I could be sad and post my excel spreadsheet :o

On average, over a tank, the trip computer is roughly 2mpg optimistic compared to my calculations. The best calculated average I've had so far is 45.8mpg but I'm on a mission this tankful to see what the fabia can do if driven sensibly all the time.

Although I can't be bothered to nip outside and check the MPG, i can tell you that I filled up the other day (week) and got just over 450 miles to a tank in my Furby Rs.

I was driving mostly motorway, not one complete journey though and that included quite a bit of 'A' road and town driving. I drove quite sensible and probably only booted it once joining the Mway. I do use cruise control on the Mways too, usually set at about 1900 RPM (within 60-65 MPH). I find cruise/c helps with MPG as it only applies the minimum fuel to keep the speed up. Using cruise/c normally reads about 57mpg+ on the flat of the Mway.

I'm going to try and get more out of a tank full though, it will need to be like driving Miss Daisy, on a sunday, with your gran in the car, pretending you've got 11 miles of diesel left and the gargage is 15 miles away, but it'll be worth it.

Sorry to go on... Also with reference to someone else's comments, would a re-map actually increase MPG????

Currently mine is sitting at 375 miles and on the last white mark before it takes the plunge, my drive this week has been mainly work, pleasure and long distance to Aberdeen so I'm taking another trip to SWMBO's the night so expecting another 50+ to the gallon, I reckon I will get another seventy miles out my tank

taking another trip to SWMBO's

That is the whole reason for me getting my Fabia.

I have and Mk1 Octy Rs (for sale) and i did, as described above, a driving Miss Daisy run, on the 45 mile trip to SWMBO's. I got a pant wetting 45MPG on the trip computer but knew that would never happen again, hence the Fabia (53MPG ish).

Anyhow, off to work...

SWMBO's is a 30 mile round trip so lat night was a non stop journey to drop her off and back again, I think if I stopped for some time then the miles per gallon would not be as good.

If I was in my focus I would be filling her up every week compared to the two weeks I'm doing the now

well SWMBO filled the car up today at 420.2 miles when the light came on which is the best yet that we have had since buying the car.

Only problem is the cost, it cost us £42 to fill up.

Away for a cry now, prob could have pushed it a wee bit more but not wanting to chance it!

I have Fabia se and had it remaped few months back not been rolling roaded as yet but its ment to be in area of 180 to 190 bhp and on a run from Dumfries to Newcastle at the speed limit it was doing 76.2 mpg there and back . Normal running around to work etc: it's getting 46-52 mpg its a lot better than it was standard i always keep the cruise control off as mpg doesn't half go down.

Since getting 'Spongy' (girlfriends name for car just dont ask) a month ago Ive been surprised at the fuel consumption,,, ive tried a tank of v power in it as well which, at 5 pence a litre dearer gave no real world improvement at all. Ive gone back to supermarket fuel and ive averaged around 430 to a tank,,, is this standard ??

My driving habits are 'normal' not a ned as such and I cover 110 miles a day on my A road commute to work and back,,,, much more fun in spongy than my mondeo tdci !!

A month and I'm still grinning , brilliant car.

How many Vrs owners do you think there is in Scotland, dont see that many about ?

How many Vrs owners do you think there is in Scotland, dont see that many about ?

About half the members on here seem to be north of the border so I'd expect you to be falling over them :D :D

430 miles per tank sounds ok, roughly my average for a tank of supermarket diesel with 'normal' driving.

Glad you've still got the smile, never really goes away :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

OK, did pretty well today. 85 miles from deep in Bridgend to Trowbridge....mostly M4 but also a couple of small towns and B-Roads......

61.4 MPG but I did drive it at around 2000revs or less (hills dependant). That translates as 55-65 top speed. On the clock about 1/4 tank. Last few tanks, same trip at 70-80mph was getting something like 46mpg.

Around town i get 55mpg easy, motorway driving between 70+ i get 60-65mpg thats all on a standard Fabia VRs.

In my Clio 1.4 1991 i used to get 55mpg easy no matter what i did with it.