My vRS's 1st trip to the 'ring tomorrow!

I'm off to the Nurburgring till Wednesday tomorrow, so fairly excited obviously!

I've never driven there before, and neither has the car, so we're both 'ring virgins!

I've serviced the car (oil, plugs etc), put some mintex xtremes all round with new rear discs and checked over all my tyres for nasty nails and wear. Also got rid of my 17705 fault code at the weekend with a new turbo hose. So all is in order, I hope!

Just wondering if anyone had some words of wisdom to offer me on driving and looking after my car while there. As its my first time i have no idea how long my brakes will last before cooking, and how my tyres will fare on the surface.

Im not planning on racing round, but im not gonna hang about either. Other cars in my group are: Evo 8 (tuned to 360bhp!), S2000, Civic Type R, TT (2.0T), S1 Elise and a 1.8 Focus. I'm the only Skoda, so I have to stand up for the badge!

Any words would be greatly appreciated, Andy.

Checkout :: northloop.co.uk :: we're not playing games :: nurburgring galleries and more ::

There's a video on YouTube they made that gives some really handy advice...also shows what happens when theres an oil spillage on the track and what to do if you come across an accident.

Make sure you have the phone number of the Ring office programmed into your mobile it's 00 49 02691302215... and have a couple of hi-vis jackets...you will need these if you are first at the scene at an accident.

Get a few passenger laps in your mates cars so you know where the corners are and take it easy for your first few laps in your own car.

I've been told if you really cane it you should park it in gear afterwards without the handbrake on otherwise your brakes will weld themselves together.

Let me know how you get on as I am taking my VRS to the Ring for the first time in July so wondering how much it's going to wear out tyres / pads /discs!!! :thumbup:

as said dont put handbrake on when youve parked after going around as it can boil your fluid and ruin you brakes.

tale it east and be aware that if it does go wrong theres not a lot of space to catch it in most places.

stay on the right when on long straights as its still a toll road and if you cause an accident because of been on the left itll be your fault.

check your insurance does not void if driving on the ring my previous insurers specifically mentioned the ring in my policy.

spare set of pads is usually worthwhile just incase.

european AA or equiv cover if you do bend it.

ive not been though and im sure if you google it theres a few good guides worthwhile reading.

I have not been there myself it is one of my ambitions. I have heard that a few practice laps on the Xbox or Playstation will give you a general feel of the place. Its no substiitute for first hand experience but at least you will have an idea.

Bodge

I done somewhere in the region of 30 trips to the Ring, having been going since 1993.

IMO, there's far too much needless drama added when people describe or advise on what to do at the Ring. If you drive like a bell end on the road and do the same at the Ring, you're likely to have a mishap and a shy't weekend.

Apply a bit of common sense and get some idea of where you're going. Overtaking is ONLY allowed on the left, therefore you should be aware of faster traffic and move to the right to let them pass, indicating helps!!....you do NOT have to stick to the right, other than to let others pass, you can use as much of the road as you want!!

Never heard of the brakes/handbrake thing and I've a mate who laps at a gnats over 8 mins and a few mates who lap around 8.15, and none of them do this.

On one trip you are very very unlikely to learn the track very much, therefore I'd suggest trying to be smooth and be very aware that there are a few corners that can really catch you out!!

The passenger lap thing is a good idea, dependant on the driver and his/her knowledge.

The Ring really isn't as daunting as it's made up to be, however it is a fantastic place to go and providing you apply a bit of common, all will be well.

As far as the car goes, just drive the thing and don't worry. If the brakes start to fade you'll know and you'll just have to slow down until they cool......in all honesty though, if your smooth the demands on the brakes aren't that bad.

Once you learn where the final corner is, use the final straight to let the brakes cool and the turbo to wind down.

Most of all, have a great trip and be safe........no prizes for the fastest!!

Lance

I'm off to the Nurburgring till Wednesday tomorrow, so fairly excited obviously!

I've never driven there before, and neither has the car, so we're both 'ring virgins!

I've serviced the car (oil, plugs etc), put some mintex xtremes all round with new rear discs and checked over all my tyres for nasty nails and wear. Also got rid of my 17705 fault code at the weekend with a new turbo hose. So all is in order, I hope!

Just wondering if anyone had some words of wisdom to offer me on driving and looking after my car while there. As its my first time i have no idea how long my brakes will last before cooking, and how my tyres will fare on the surface.

Im not planning on racing round, but im not gonna hang about either. Other cars in my group are: Evo 8 (tuned to 360bhp!), S2000, Civic Type R, TT (2.0T), S1 Elise and a 1.8 Focus. I'm the only Skoda, so I have to stand up for the badge!

Any words would be greatly appreciated, Andy.

Have you got your route sorted out? Where you staying?

Agree with all Lance says. Done many trips myself, and well over 1000 laps :eek:

Don't be a hero.

Watch out for bikes

You won't know which way it goes with any real certainty for at least 20 laps and then you'll only be 75% sure

Watch it if it is wet, some bits are slippy

The weather can change considerably in the course of a lap - one lap I've had snow, sunshine, fog and ice :D

Enjoy it it is an awesome place!

If you are going to do lap after lap keep a close eye on your tyres, I was amazed how 'soft and sticky' they become. Be very aware of bikes and faster cars especially when turning into left hand corners when i went round in Neos car i had somebody come up on (my) inside and take the corner sideways :rofl:

(oh and don't have swmbo as your passenger :rofl:)

The advice about leaving the brakes off to cool down is good - I've seen many people have problems with discs after track days due to the pads being held hard on the discs by the handbrake when they are stinking hot. Obviously somewhat dependent how heavy the brakes have been used etc, but no bad thing all the same to leave them off to cool.

I keep a couple of wood wedges in the car to put under a wheel to stop it rolling if the ground isn't flat where you park up.

It's certainly a fabulous place, nowhere else like it. Just one thing to remember - RESPECT - or it will bite you, it's very easy to not realise how quick you are going and get caught out. The regulars will fly by you and make you feel like you're standing still. Also beware of bikes, they won't have any issue with leaning on your front wing round the bends if you "get in their way" - there's a lot to watch for coming at you from behind if you are relatively new.

Cor blimey! Thanks alot for the advice guys, I've taken note.

In Reply to Lance's question:

We're sailing down from Hull to Zeebrugge, then making our way to Spa for lunch tomorrow, via Brussells (I'll be sure to run over some politicians on my way through!). Then popping over the border to Nurburg in the afternoon. We're all staying at the Ringhaus by the track.

I've sorted AA euro recovery, and bumped my euro insurance up to fully comp for the period. I've read all their small print and can't find any exclusions for one way toll roads etc.

I'm a bit of an xbox geek, so I know the track very well from Project Gotham and Forza, I know it'll be totally different probably, but hopefully knowing all the corners will help me learn the track quicker.

I will be having several sighting laps with the trip organiser before I get out there, as he's an experienced hand there.

I'll keep an eye on tyres and brakes etc and let you know how they fare up.

Thanks again for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Photos to follow........

Well it was awesome! Such an amazing track. Loads of fun in the dry, and zero grip in the wet. 3 of my friends crashed unfortunately, but no injuries and no massive damage. All the rear drive cars crashed in the wet trying to keep up with the vRS and the TT! We lost the S2000, Elise and Sylva Striker kitcar to the armco in the wet. I managed 4 passenger laps and 8 driving, which was enough for me in the wet! My Octavia's suspension is totally standard, and I have to say I'm very impressed with how balanced the car is. I had one very sideways moment (brown pants) and sevaral understeer/oversteer/4 wheel slide moments, and she behaved very well.

Only saw 2 other vRS's, one being the marshall vehicle. Met a really nice Dutch guy with this new remapped vRS diesel with winter tyres on Polish plates. The thing was rapid! We did a lap together while I was in the Civic Type R, and he dissapeared! Very impressed.

img1091fs21.jpg

My brakes and tyres lasted fine, and I cant say they wore all that much either. I was very glad i fitted good pads as I became the ring taxi on the Monday, and the extra braking confidence was good when 4 up. Had a quite a few ABS moments while braking hard in the wet, and had a few traction problems when trying to boot it in second. But the car seemed at home there.

Here's me as I just overtook the Evo 8 (he did have semi slicks on, but it still counts!). Good tyres and good handling made me quicker in the wet, which was funny! 4 wheel drive is for girls..... hehe

dscf0163rr0.jpg

And here's me charging up the hill away from him (this was my favourite corner)

dscf0164hm2.jpg

dscf0164hm2.fa8ed654ce.jpg

Links to videos on youtube to follow....

I'm going back in the Summer. Not because I want to, I just have to. I'm hooked.

Edited by Bodge

glad to hear you had a good time.

was it much work avoiding other people? or where you able to just get on with it?

much damage to other cars? drivable?

i can see myself going this summer just to see what its like. in some ways i imagine it may have been more fun in the wet for you.

Glad you enjoyed it.............and agree, it's slipperer than a very slippery thing when wet:eek:

Did your mates get any track repair bills? I have two mates who have had big crashes there (one at the mini karusell and one at your favourite corner, Pflantzgarten), one got hit for 5000euros and one for 4000euros.:eek:

I'm over from 21st to 25th June.....anyone else?

Lance

Thats a hefty fine !!! :eek:

Both bounced from armco to armco on both sides of the track, also causing fairly long track closures.......one of these was only about 3 weeks ago.

No injuries, but two very very 2nd hand cars.....one being a 360 ferrari.

Lance