OMG HEADLIGHTS CR@PPY

Which way is up and which way is down? Do they require a lot of turning or just a slight adjustment?....found mine in daylight today, but cant compare until it gets dark and I find a brick wall!

It's quite a fine adjustment.

When I got home tonight there was no car at the house opposite, approx 25m distance, so I noted the cut-off level of my lights on their garage door then raised then up 1 turn of the adjuster. This lifted the cut-off level about 25 cm.

As a comparison I them moved the adjuster to position 1 and the cut-off level was now totally off the door. So the amount I raised my lights by was at most 30% of the drop from moving the adjuster to position 1.

Does anyone know or know how to work out the distance the lights should reach at both the centre and upper limit of the MOT test specification?

Also should the nearside light have a longer reach than the offside? If so approximately what should the difference be?

• 5 weeks later...

Indeed, you just have to twist quite hard in order for it to turn. I had tried a few times and always gave up in fear of breaking something. Then I just got angry and said YOU WILL COME OUT! and twisted some more and there it went...

I managed however to mis-fit the bulb on the left. Seems I squeezed it hard into place while not perfectly aligned so it was fitted in so hard it couldn't come out and as it wasn't fitted correctly the entire bulb holder could not go back in place.

I drove to the dealer's with the bulb holder out of place :wonder: , it was funny to see 3 different technicians coming to the car while trying to get the bulb out... Took them almost half an hour to take it out and re-fit it... :giggle:

All in all I am not the most experienced person for such works but it is a poor design, you end up with cuts all over your palms, If you manage to get your palm in in the first place, unbelievably tight!!

Thanks ,Got them out and new ones in lights now much better. So proud ,told nieghbour,should have kept mouth shut as he now wants his done,oh dear more cuts on hands Eric

Not sure what a lot of the fuss is really. My Monte Carlo's standard lights are better than my Mk4 Astra with Philips Xtreme power.

Going to be swapping them over today. Here some testing that was done on motorbikes:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride%20Magazine/Product%20test%20pdfs/Headlight%20bulb%20test.pdf

Just fit some HID's and have done with it. They aren't going to be illegal after 1st Jan. Testing manual has been changed from:

"High Intensity Discharge (HID) and LED dipped beam headlamps (whether original fitment or after-market) must be fitted with a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling."

To

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge 3. (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system

I suspect there is something going wrong at the factory or the dealers and the alignment check of the headlights is being missed.

While this shouldn't be happening it is so try getting your lights actually aimed correctly before you go the whole HID route.

Hi Guys,

I live in a rural village and surrounded by unlit lanes and i have to admit nightime driving on dipped beam is scary.

I have a 2010 Fabia vRS and want to change the bulbs ASAP, are they a dual hi/low beam combo bulb or are the dipped and high beam seperate bulbs?, if so i was thinking of fitting these as the dipped beam bulb from Amazon (2x Osram H7 12v 55W Nightbreaker Plus Headlight Bulbs 90% Brighter OSNB7) are these the correct ones?

Cheers :thumbup:

Edited by GazofCorra

I suspect there is something going wrong at the factory or the dealers and the alignment check of the headlights is being missed.

While this shouldn't be happening it is so try getting your lights actually aimed correctly before you go the whole HID route.

I think u may be right, I picked up my fabia VRS on 23-12-11 and have been worried about the lights as I do a fair bit of night driving. I have no problems at all they seem fine in fact they seem a bit too bright if that's possible.

I can only guess they have been aligned better than some of the earlier cars.

Edited by hammer32

1324849204[/url]' post='2622572']

I think u may be right, I picked up my fabia VRS on 23-12-11 and have been worried about the lights as I do a fair bit of night driving. I have no problems at all they seem fine in fact they seem a bit too bright if that's possible.

I can only guess they have been aligned better than some of the earlier cars.

Have you got projectors, or just the standard unit?

1324936219[/url]' post='2623088']

I have the standard units and more than happy with them.

That's the thing,I have 2 Fabias 1 with just standard headlamp unit (single bulb H7) , the other fabia is a full specked 1.6tdi with curve projectors with 2 H7 in each headlamp unit, in theory should be way better but in real life the standard unit is way way better, I've fitted osrams night breakers in the standard and have the xenon filled shiiit3 from eBay, so I've received 2 sets of Philips extreme vision 100% for Xmas so will fit when it stops bl@@dy raining , I will adjust the headlight higher as well as this may also be an issue, so until then I will not use the car with the standard headlight at night because the more expensive car is far too dangerous at night .

• 3 years later...

I'm resurrecting this tread as I can't find an answer to whether the Facelift headlight dip with the projector and 2 H7 bulbs is better than the Facelift base model dip/main with the single H4 bulb. I went to Progress in Bedford yesterday and spotted a 2013 "S" model with a single reflector and H4 bulb but when I asked the service bloke he said they were worse than the projector dip/reflector main set up. 

Any offers?

In my opinion he would be right. The projector/reflector setup is a good one, especially if you intend to upgrade the projector to an HID kit. The single projector that acts as dipped and main does so with a mechanical shutter, down for dipped and up for main.

Just to check, you're comparing the reflector/projector set up with the 2 H7 bulbs with the projector unit with single H7 bulb?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm resurrecting this tread as I can't find an answer to whether the Facelift headlight dip with the projector and 2 H7 bulbs is better than the Facelift base model dip/main with the single H4 bulb. I went to Progress in Bedford yesterday and spotted a 2013 "S" model with a single reflector and H4 bulb but when I asked the service bloke he said they were worse than the projector dip/reflector main set up.

Any offers?

Yea. H4 set up wont be as good as the projector and reflector set up

Just to check, you're comparing the reflector/projector set up with the 2 H7 bulbs with the projector unit with single H7 bulb?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, Jonro2009, I'm comparing the reflector/projector with the 2xH7 bulbs with the reflector only with a single H4.

H4's are always more of a cost cutting thing at manufacture i always think

That may be the case but my Citigo headlights with H4 bulbs beat the reflector/projector setup on the Fabia facelift, with the same Nightbreaker unlimited bulbs, by a country mile.

Edited by peter3197
  • Like 1

Sorry Peter, I was getting myself muddled. The two H7 setup is by far and away the better. Totally agree with Olly H4 seems a cheap alternative when manufacturing the headlight.

The best option if you have H4, IMO is to put a set of night breakers in, I would never do an HID upgrade for H4 especially in a reflector lens.

The unit you describe is not the black pack so at least you wouldn't have that problem!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That may be the case but my Citigo headlights with H4 bulbs beat the reflector/projector setup on the Fabia facelift, with the same Nightbreaker unlimited bulbs, by a country mile.

That's interesting. Is the main beam better with the 2 x H7?

The H4 might be better in dip due to a better light unit. The Fabia range in general seem to have poor lights compared to other models.

• Like 1

That's interesting. Is the main beam better with the 2 x H7?

The H4 might be better in dip due to a better light unit. The Fabia range in general seem to have poor lights compared to other models.

The main beam is better on the Fabia but only because you have the dip on as well. The dip on the Citigo is better than the projector dip which is why I am interested in the non projector light set up on the base model facelift Fabias which have a single H4.

The main beam is better on the Fabia but only because you have the dip on as well. The dip on the Citigo is better than the projector dip which is why I am interested in the non projector light set up on the base model facelift Fabias which have a single H4.

Thats the problem with h4's imo. You lose the light directly infront of the car when you select high beam.

I find the silver lights quite good tbh.