Update On My Oil Consumption

stugolf

Hi guys

I have a 2010 Polo Gti which has recently had the piston rings replaced due to high oil consumption so VW have asked my to keep a very close eye on how much I go through now, I'm sure many of you have been told the same thing but I'm noticed something quite strange.

When checking the dipstick my oil was full for a time and after a week or so I noticed it dropped down the dipstick as per usual... until I realised it could be the way I was checking the level. If I check my level at an oil temp of 60 degrees bearing in mind the water temp is 90 degrees the oil was just over half way down the dipstick but if I let my car get to the full operating temp of over 90 degrees, allowed 10 minutes for the oil to settle it was full again?

Not sure if anyone else has come across this? but thought I would share, seems the engine has fairly large discrepancies depending on the temp.

Can't say I've had a car that varies its level this much!

• Like 1

I've been thinking this is why some people are struggling with oil consuption, because they may not be! the handbook does say check when engine is warm....

the way I went about it was to not top up until it was below half way (the handbook also says not to top up until 1/4 down at least..) 20-24k now no oil consumption at all...

I have been checking my oil today, the first check was after a little drive and the temp was 83 degrees and level was a third up on the stick. I let it cool down a bit more too 71 degrees and it was the same, but when it was down too 59 degrees it showed half way on the stick. I will check again when it,s cold and see where the oil is then.

My car has done only 1200 miles and used 500ml of oil.

Edited by hammer32

its all very confusing, I have always checked oil when engine is cold on all my previous cars and have been doing this on the VRS

so far I've done 5000 and used 1.5 Litres. The dealers also checked my cars oil when it was cold too.

Will have to do a test to see if there is a difference when cold

its all very confusing, I have always checked oil when engine is cold on all my previous cars and have been doing this on the VRS

so far I've done 5000 and used 1.5 Litres. The dealers also checked my cars oil when it was cold too.

Will have to do a test to see if there is a difference when cold

I`ve with dirty hari this is confusing i always checked oil when cold on all my cars but i do check the oil in the fabia vRS when it`s warm like the handbook does say to do.

so far i`ve done 6800 miles and used about 1.2 liters of oil

Hi guys

I have a 2010 Polo Gti which has recently had the piston rings replaced due to high oil consumption so VW have asked my to keep a very close eye on how much I go through now, I'm sure many of you have been told the same thing but I'm noticed something quite strange.

When checking the dipstick my oil was full for a time and after a week or so I noticed it dropped down the dipstick as per usual... until I realised it could be the way I was checking the level. If I check my level at an oil temp of 60 degrees bearing in mind the water temp is 90 degrees the oil was just over half way down the dipstick but if I let my car get to the full operating temp of over 90 degrees, allowed 10 minutes for the oil to settle it was full again?

Not sure if anyone else has come across this? but thought I would share, seems the engine has fairly large discrepancies depending on the temp.

Can't say I've had a car that varies its level this much!

So how yours oil consumption now ?My 2010 vrs also had the piston rings replaced two weeks ago.

If you check it when cold and fill to the max mark you will over fill it.

I check mine when cold and hot - just happens to be when I remember!

Normally when cold i'll put some in to fill it to 3/4 full. When hot I fill it to half if that makes sense.

That way its never over filled either way!

Ohwell seems confusing. but so far my vrs has done nearlly 5000 miles and ive put nearly 6ltrs in her

:doh: Ouch I thought my 6 liters in 11500miles was bad

Also that would put you over the acceptable use limit and eligable for new piston rings, test depended of course

Does the VRs have a low warning level on the mfd? Why not just wait until the check oil warning comes on? And then top up with 500 ml, Have done that in all my VAG cars with variable servicing and warning info. It is far safer than trying to interpret a dipstick and the risk of over filling. You could be just overfilling and sending the oil out via the exhaust.

That also allows you to have a true benchmark of oil loss.

Does the VRs have a low warning level on the mfd? Why not just wait until the check oil warning comes on? And then top up with 500 ml, Have done that in all my VAG cars with variable servicing and warning info. It is far safer than trying to interpret a dipstick and the risk of over filling. You could be just overfilling and sending the oil out via the exhaust.

That also allows you to have a true benchmark of oil loss.

because waiting for the light to come on can cause damage, its best to make sure its topped up

I am conidering getting in touch because i know its too much but living on an island i have to pay for getting it to my local dealer then reclaim ferry costs etc live on isle of lewis and closest dealer is inverness. i belive their test just wont be enough to see it drink the oil and i will b out of pocket at the end of the day might ring skoda assist an see what they have to say on the matter. So far i cant find the vin number of cars affected ans my vrs is on 11 plate an thought these were okay. just confused guys im 22 and this is my 1st new car :( any ideas would be helpful

I am conidering getting in touch because i know its too much but living on an island i have to pay for getting it to my local dealer then reclaim ferry costs etc live on isle of lewis and closest dealer is inverness. i belive their test just wont be enough to see it drink the oil and i will b out of pocket at the end of the day might ring skoda assist an see what they have to say on the matter. So far i cant find the vin number of cars affected ans my vrs is on 11 plate an thought these were okay. just confused guys im 22 and this is my 1st new car :( any ideas would be helpful

Lee, on the isle of Lewis with a VRS are you getting the engine warm enough?, high oil consumption is linked to the vrs not being driven properly when running in period, are the roads on Lewis adequate to get the engine run in ? Just a thought ?

Waiting for the light to come on will not cause damage, well not in my experience anyway. Sure there is a factor of safety on it.

I've had my "Check Oil Level" warning flash up before and the oil was on the bottom of the dipstick, it took a litre of Oil to fill it back up. IMO the warning is no substitute for a quick manual check of the dipstick.

I have thought by now that all cars should have a oil gauge fitted to tell you the amount of oil in the engine. I'm sure in the Peugeot 307hdi I had there was one fitted, as soon as you turned the ignition key on the level came up then went off again as soon as you started it. I know it's not as reliable as a manual check but surely it's better than having to check the oil at a preset temperature.