Swing Radio/CD code

I'm just about to change my swing stereo but noticed I haven't got the security code should I come to refit it !

I've only had the car 2 weeks (from new), should the dealer have given me this with the car ? I never received a PDI, owners manual etc. just the service book and the stereo manual.

You will not have the code, as you don't need it. The radio code is stored in the ECU and sent to the headunit when it requests it over canbus. To get the code a trip to the dealer is required before you remove it, but you'll only need this if your are going to sell the radio on.

As a new car you should have got, owners manual, service book, warranty booklet and more in a handy wallet. The radio code will not be included however.

Dealer does not give code with the car. You can go to the dealers to get it (but they might charge you) I got a pdi sticker stuck behind my rear view mirror. Ask them for a owners manual you should get one. I did not get my radio manual phoned them and im going to pick it up friday

My local dealer charged me £20 to get the code for a Stream MP3 (process is the same for all units, I believe) and could have done it over the phone as I had a long code starting with 'SK' and could give them the VIN of the original vehicle it was fitted to.

Give your local dealer a call, or contact Ben at Startin Skoda, Powick (Worcester) if you have the SK code.

The car remembers the code if you swap the stereo and then later refit it as I have done this with my Fabia with the Swing stereo (left a CD in it). However if you do refit it make sure that you DO NOT turn it on before the ignition for the first time as this can cause security issues and it might lock and prompt you for the code, however if this does happen I believe that it normally resolves itself after a while

Apparently they were out of stock of the owners manuals at the time, and I assume that the sales guy thought we didn't need one as it's the second vRS we've purchased, so not too worried about it (and the fact you can download online, so it not a big issue), I was more concerned about the stereo, but seeing as I have no plans to sell, just refit should I come to sell it (the car not the stereo), providing it works when I reconnect it, that's all I need to know. :whew:

You guys (and girls) are such a helpful bunch :rofl:

Edited by Panther_uk

You will not have the code, as you don't need it. The radio code is stored in the ECU and sent to the headunit when it requests it over canbus. To get the code a trip to the dealer is required before you remove it, but you'll only need this if your are going to sell the radio on.

As a new car you should have got, owners manual, service book, warranty booklet and more in a handy wallet. The radio code will not be included however.

As far as i know, the Code is stored in the HU itself, on a EEPROM. There are forums available on the web, specially German, where they extract this code for you if you can read the dump from this EEPROM and pass it to them.

My local dealer charged me £20 to get the code for a Stream MP3 (process is the same for all units, I believe) and could have done it over the phone as I had a long code starting with 'SK' and could give them the VIN of the original vehicle it was fitted to.

Give your local dealer a call, or contact Ben at Startin Skoda, Powick (Worcester) if you have the SK code.

Just because you have the 'SKI' number & chassis number doesn't mean they will give you the security code over the phone.

If that was the case then I could smash your window, nick your stereo, take a note of the chassis number since its on display at the windscreen and next day phone your pal Ben at Skoda to get the code.

Whoever in the garage gets the code uses their own user id to login to the secure site, so let's say after I nick your stereo and Ben gives me the code over the phone you get out of bed realise your stereo has gone and call the police, after a day or so it's traced to Ben getting the code (which is what would happen). At this point Ben is the person responsible and the theft lays at his door "you gave a radio code out over the phone?" "yeah sure, your nicked mate" Poor Ben has a hard time ahead of him.....

However what should happen is Ben should have a job card with a customers name/address & signature, then the responsibility is passed to the service advisor who should have seen 2 types of id as proof of who the person is or should know them.

That's the process which stops the majority of stereos from being stolen these days, traceability which is why they won't just do it over the phone as your casually suggesting is what should have happened.......

• 1 year later...

Yes it is possible, but I believe that the system has changed since I got my code (without taking the car into the dealer or showing ID).

I believe the car now needs to be physically connected to their computer which then connects via the net to Skoda HQ who pass the code back to their computer.

Or look on eBay...