Tyre types delivered on Citigo

andy0681

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

My wife has just taken delivery of new Citigo SE.  We were surpised to find it fitted with summer rated (it snowed in Scotland overnight) Falken Sincera SN831A tyres rather than a premium all year brand like those fitted to all of the other Citigos in the dealership. 

I have never heard of Falken tyres.  Does anyone know if this brand is any good - wet road stopping, longevity? 

Also, why would Skoda choose, other than the rather obvious answer - to be cheapskate, to supply non-premium tyres?

When asked about this, the supplying dealer said that he had never heard of Falken tyres and suggested I buy another set of tyres for the car.  And with that response, he lost a sale for a new Octavia Elegance estate, which I had planned to order in the next couple of weeks.

falken tyres are pretty good. The monte carlo in the showroom I looked at had continentals so I hope mine has these. I looked online at tyre prices for the citigo and was well chuffed, around £60 each for premium tyres, my audi is around £150 for the same tyre!

I have heard the brand Falken, but I have never own any.

These days car manufacturers tries to offer reasonably priced cars because that's what most customers wants. They choose tyres which are reasonably priced. Nothing wrong with that I think.

My newest Citigo have 14" (summer) Continentals though.

Edited by Emil

Falken tyres aren't a bad BUDGET tyre, i'll not be happy spending £10k to have it sitting on budget tyres, especially when its only saving the dealer about £10/corner over a premium brand.

I've just got the standard steel wheels on mine, so i'm tempted to get a set of alloys, put the factory tyres on them, and then a set of winter tyres on the steel wheels.

Oh and ASDA are doing some good deals on tyres, teamed up with Halfords auto centres.

If it has steel wheels on you get cheap tyres. If it has alloys on it you get decent tyres. One of those annoying quirks that nobody cares to mention...

If it has steel wheels on you get cheap tyres. If it has alloys on it you get decent tyres. One of those annoying quirks that nobody cares to mention...

It's simply whatever they get cheapest or free the day your car is made. Wheel type has no bearing

Our Fabia vRS had Falkens on when we bought it. Utter rubbish IMHO! I acknowledge that others may disagree but they were noisy, gave a very firm ride and grip was so so. Didn't last long either.

A quick update.  It is interesting to see the views of others on this subject. 

I contacted Skoda UK, who also appeared to have no knowledge of the Falken Sincera tyre brand and asked me to send them the marking information on the tyre wall.  By the way, they were made in Thailand.

Also, a quick check of the main tyre suppliers suggests that the SN831A tyres are not readily available in the UK for replacement.  If this indeed were to be the case, then one puncture may require two new tyres to be purchased.  Skoda UK suggests to contact them should this happen.  I have suggested to Skoda UK that they ought to taken into account what tyres are available in the countries to which they supply vehicles to ensure continuity of supply should punctures occur.  Do they really not consider this?

I have seen a number of comments elsewhere concerning the poor longevity and wet weather performance of Falken tyres, but time will tell.  Also, if they do prove to be poor performers in the wet, I shall change to a known premium brand with a better wet weather grading.

Interestingly, I noticed that VW has just approved Falken tyres for the new Passat, and that Skoda is now suppling new Fabia and Octavia models on Nexen tyres, whatever they may be.

The best answer would appear to be to buy either a new car that is at a dealership, or to buy used.  That way, at least, the tyres can be inspected, rather than just taking pot luck with a factory order.

One last thing.  Does anyone else think that buyers should be able to choose a specific tyre type suited to their environment and usage when ordering a new car?  After all, buyers can choose all sorts of options, including many varieties of wheels.  So, why not tyres, especially since this is a primary safety issue?

cheers

amw