Heater matrix pipes - nightmare to fit?

Hi,

I have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 Comfort tdi, currently having problems with coolant leaks. It's in a friends garage at the moment and he has narrowed the leak to the aluminium pipes that connect to the heater matrix. Got some replacement ones however he is having a nightmare trying to fit them. Spent 6 hours on it and no joy, just couldn't get them to seal properly.

At first we though the pipes were distorted so got some replacement ones, but these aren't sealing either. Are they generally a problem to fit? Are we missing something?

Pete

• 1 year later...

They are a right pain to seal, you need to make certain the alloy block they go into is clean and not corroded, took me about 5 goes to refit the ones on my rally car

I just used wire wool on a bit of small alloy tube and scraped the crap out with a screwdriver, used new rubber rings and plenty of rubber grease

• 3 months later...

I just used wire wool on a bit of small alloy tube and scraped the crap out with a screwdriver, used new rubber rings and plenty of rubber grease

Did you do it from the top of the engine bay? I'm finding it ridiculously tight for space.

• 1 month later...

I just attempted mine tonight as going away in a few days and just saw all my new anti freeze trickle down the road, pi$$ede off I tried sealing again but filled with just water an the same thing happened? gonna try again in the morning when it's daylight an use a mirror to take a better look. Going on holiday at end of week (Lakes to Hastings) so gotta be right.

All is accessible from above though so that's a plus as off work recovering from broken collarbone (not fun)

Well after another full day trying to seal the matrix pipes I've given up?, has anybody ever removed the heater radiator as I'm wondering about swapping it for one from a different model with fixed pipes that I can fit long hoses onto!, seriously starting to think about bypassing it an trading it in, I loved it until this week :-(

I had this problem on my vrs mate. I ordered a heater matrix off a different fabia from eBay which came with a right solid rigid fixing that you can just connect hoses to. Hang on let me find some pictures...

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Screenshot_2014-08-21-21-49-10_zpsvntzbz

This is what I ordered off eBay, took the connector off, binned the matrix and then fitted the connector on my car where those stupid aluminium pipes connect.

Screenshot_2014-08-21-21-55-12_zpsayij18

Then some of this to help frankenstein it in to your coolant circuit. I used two 17mm OD hose joiners from a hardware store also. I'll take some pics of the setup on the car when I get home from work tomorrow if it helps.

AshVrs you're a superstar, I've seen that matrix radiator on eBay off a 99-04 fabia an that's how I got the idea, what was it like to get the old one out?, not too bad or an arse.. Cheers for your help, one last thing is does it get affected by heat off the exhaust or is it ok? Cheers

If it isn't actually the heater matrix leaking and just where those stupid aluminium pipes join it, you don't need to take the old matrix out. There is an allen key bolt on the matrix pictured above which just undoes and then you can just use the hose connector bit and screw it in place on yours. It will all make sense when I take you some pictures. On the vrs there is enough room to have a tea party down there so heat affecting pipes is not an issue.

It is essentially just the hose connector bit you need off one of those heater matrix to put on yours.

Ahh right, I presume they're easier to seal then?, I've spent too much time desperately praying today with them $h!t alloy pipes £54 from Skoda (not bad compared to what everyone says but still)

Seals piece of pi**! Lol its because it is a lot more solid and by nipping up the centre bolt ensures the connector has seated properly and it is much more robust that you can nip it up tighter. The aluminium bracket which goes over the original aluminium pipes is 1. A crap design anyway, and 2. Too thin and becomes distorted.

I was gutted I paid for a new aluminium pipe setup as well before implementing this fix. Literally spent days trying to get them pipes to seal.

Lol good to hear I'm not on my own as literally pulling my fekkin hair out, the alloy pipes are pants an wish Skoda had mentioned this fix but sayin that they have to put em back to factory spec I guess ey?

Well as far as I am aware this is "our" fix as I haven't found anyone else that has done it lol.

Mine has been fitted for months and thousands of miles now and it's running perfect. I haven't even used jubilee clips on the connections, I've literally just pushed the pipes on and they won't budge.

• Like 1

I spent £100 on getting a garage to identify and fix this leak on my Seat Cordoba PD130.

Wish I'd have know about this... ah well... they did fit it at least and no more leak!

Phil