DSG judder 3 months outside of warranty

My car has developed the 2nd gear change juddering just 3 months outside of warranty on 10,500 miles and I wondered if anyone has managed to get any help from their Skoda dealers in fixing it?

Yes I did buy it new for 50% cash and interest free loan iirc.

Dealer knows nothing of DSG problems and wants payment for diagnostics at 45 per half hour because its outside warranty.

They say they will ask if Skoda UK might help to cost but dont hold out much hope.

I just wondered if anyone has managed to get any assistance from Skoda UK in fixing it if it is a known problem?

I was thinking of changing the car this year for the new one but with this DSG trouble I want shot really and will look for more reliable auto.

Sorry unable to give you words of comfort but the 7' speed DSG has well documented problems all over the world, particularly in

Far East.

I've just had my gearbox totally replaced under warranty after 8,000 miles and 8 months. I see you have exactly same spec engine and gearbox.. Strangely, I had no jerking problems the box simply flashed up a gearbox fault and twice the car hazardously simply ground to a halt as the control unit was not able to select the next gear change.

In a previous discussion I made the statement that anyone with a 7 speed DSG should dispose in warranty period or extend the warranty. As your car is still basically sound in engine and gearbox what about extending the warranty without acknowledging any reported mechanical defects.

All Of this is a great pity because it is a super car to drive with a wonderful fluent gearchange.

Take it to your supplying dealer, you are covered for 6 years, make sure you state you are claiming under SOGA not warranty. If they don't play ball, speak to CAB.

• Like 1

Take it to your supplying dealer, you are covered for 6 years, make sure you state you are claiming under SOGA not warranty. If they don't play ball, speak to CAB.

Please could you through some more light on the "6 years" cover.

Presumably you are referring to the possibility that there is a 6 year warranty cover on the

car from SUK.

Would also like to know if any other members have had any success in claiming for work to be carried out under the SOGA and does this have to be applied for via the supplying dealer.

• 1 month later...

Dealer confirmed it was the clutch pack with Skoda Tech a few weeks back and I heard nothing more.

Contacted them again to enquire and they took my service history (1st and 2nd year Skoda dealer, 3rd year Unit 18) and the fact I also have an Audi A3 and they asked Skoda UK for a goodwill gesture.

Skoda UK have offered 50% towards labour and 75% towards parts which leaves me still with a £400 bill.

I quoted SOGA at them instead of warranty good will claim and they didn't want to know preferring to go to Skoda UK.

They did say I could always contact Skoda UK customer care myself and ask for more.

Is there somwhere to go to enforce this SOGA on the dealer? Do I need a solicitor involved?

Dealer confirmed it was the clutch pack with Skoda Tech a few weeks back and I heard nothing more.

Contacted them again to enquire and they took my service history (1st and 2nd year Skoda dealer, 3rd year Unit 18) and the fact I also have an Audi A3 and they asked Skoda UK for a goodwill gesture.

Skoda UK have offered 50% towards labour and 75% towards parts which leaves me still with a £400 bill.

I quoted SOGA at them instead of warranty good will claim and they didn't want to know preferring to go to Skoda UK.

They did say I could always contact Skoda UK customer care myself and ask for more.

Is there somwhere to go to enforce this SOGA on the dealer? Do I need a solicitor involved?

SOGA is Sale of Goods Act and under EU law covers goods that should be expected to be fit for purpose for 6 years, i.e. a DSG box on a car.

Unfortunately, it will involve court and possibly solicitors unless you want to take the case on yourself, but you'd have a pretty strong case seeing as the problem is well documented.

On the other hand, £400 to get this fixed/replaced doesn't sound too bad and might be preferable to the hassle of going to court. On the other, other hand, uness somebody stands up to the shoddy practices of manufacturers and dealers, they'll keep getting away with it.

Maybe a threat to take the case to court under SOGA will be enough because a court case would highlight the problem and could prove to be extremely damaging to Skoda and VAGs reputation.

Whatever you decide, good luck :thumbup:

Given the well documented issues with the clutch pack on the 7 speed DSG I would say that you should have a good case under the SOGA.

I would speak to someone senior at SUK if not I suggest that your supplying dealer might like to top up the good will from SUK to save a claim for the lot under SOGA.

If you do get the whole lot paid it is worth making a small contribution so that you are then covered under the two year warranty on any work carried out at a dealer.

IMHO of course.

It is way too early to start threatening solicitors and courts and doing so will just make them put up the shutters.

They have made their 1st offer that leaves a bill for £400.

Go back to them for more - it is barely out of warranty on time and has done only 10,500 miles. Tell them you will contribute £100 and see what they come back with.

FWIW - they ain't all bad! My 7 spd DSG is as sweet and smooth as the day I drove it from the showroom 30 months and 28k miles ago. But it will be replaced at 3yrs old!

SOGA is Sale of Goods Act and under EU law covers goods that should be expected to be fit for purpose for 6 years, i.e. a DSG box on a car.

Thats not quite the case. It depends on the item whether it should be fit for a period of time up to 6 years. There is no specific written rule for one item or the next.

Its all around reasonable expectations which to be fair in the case of a gearbox would be IMO a lot longer than 3 years BUT your relying on the dealer working with you as it would still cost you a lot of money to take them to court as you would need to get independant reports to back you up which would all cost money.

I think a Small Claims action is about £50 or so, but you need to show you have tried all other possibilities. Its not really on they should "not want to know" as its the law. I would right a letter, use templates from CAB website. Do some googling, you need to specify that the goods are not of satisfactory quality and a fault on a car of that age and mileage is not reasonable.

Send it recorded to the dealers MD and state you are giving them 7 days to respond. Then, if nothing, send a 7 day reminder, then if nothing, go for the £400 good will, right on the invoice "paid under protest" and then put a claim in for that via Country Court. DO NOT SPEAK TO SKODA, you have no contract with them. Also, how did you pay for the car?

I put money on it after the first letter you will be invited to book for a FOC repair :think:

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

I contacted Skoda UK Customer services yesterday afternoon to try and get a better offer but they could not find any record of contact from the dealer so they took the details down again, raised a case and will be checking with the dealer.

I should hear the outcome tomorrow.

I am so glad I said no to a DSG Vrs when I purchased my new one last year.

Im so glad i said no to a manual VRS when i bought mine. It comes down to personal preference but either way contributes nothing to help the OP.

• Like 4

I went for the DSG and feel a slight stutter around 3rd to 4th and mine has only 8k on it and 8 months old! Think it may be worth heading to the dealer after reading this thread! Cheers!

Been reading all this with interest - I seem to be heading for a similar problem. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=93764 talks of the problems VW have had in China which can add weight to any argument that the gearbox isn't lasting as long as even the manufacturers were expecting. Any joy yet, Briskodian?

I am also watching this topic with interest.

After having a problem with the "gateway" diagnosed and the car booked in for a week for software upgrade.

Then notifed by the dealer that the appointment had been cancelled on the instruction of Skoda UK.

Having written (recorded delivery) to the MD of Skoda UK.

Without any response inside a month.

I instructed a soliceter before leaving work today.

I can and am prepared to blow or sink a few thousand into this endouver.

Foolish pride perhaps.

We will see.

Marcus

I feel for you mate, but things hopefully look a lot rosier than if you hadn't bought from new/had it dealer serviced. Personally (your call obviously) I'd ultimately go down the goodwill route they've offered. For the sake of a few hundred quid it's not worth the stress and if you were to loose you'd get nowt. Just my tboughts- a bird in tbe hand and all that. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow - didn't realise all this was going on with DSG!!

Had my 1.8 TSI for 3.5 years and have had judder in 2nd for a few months but ignored it, seems worse when cold. Have done 43k so seem to have done quite well. Anyone know the end game? What if you do nothing about it?

It is a pity FOI requests cannot be applied in these situations.

I get a trifle annoyed when one gets the bland straight faced reply that no-one else is experiencing problems with "component X", when the internet is littered with examples (an a lot of drivel forby, mind)

I am currently putting together a package to present to my soliciter next week.

What is REALLY needed is, and forgive the American jargon a "class action" lawsuit.

I must get the weans to put me on Facebook to trawl there as well.

the current French un-rest appears to be the leader in Europe at the moment.

I do not see why the home-base customer market is treated worse than China or the USofA, in respect of the extent of warrenty periods/milages.

Cheers

M