Time to open a can of worms........... DSG or Manual?

• 4 months later...

Hiya,

I have a 2004 Skoda Superb Auto Diesel 1.9. The gearbox isn't working properly I'll not go into details. My enquiry is this. Is it possible/feasible to replace the auto gearbox with a manual one? I would rather have the auto but I believe repairs/replacement are horrendously expensive and I don't have that sort of money, being retired. thanks

Hiya,

I have a 2004 Skoda Superb Auto Diesel 1.9. The gearbox isn't working properly I'll not go into details. My enquiry is this. Is it possible/feasible to replace the auto gearbox with a manual one? I would rather have the auto but I believe repairs/replacement are horrendously expensive and I don't have that sort of money, being retired. thanks

You'll get a better response in the MK1 forum.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Hiya,

At that age the car isn't worth it, best option is a second hand auto box,

You should try changing the oil and filter first before you write it off though, fixes many an auto box problem that way,

If it's this thread where someone has said they have a fully covered warranty I'm afraid it won't be fully covered, the DMF and clutch pack will be excluded from this as they are wear items, the mech unit and actual box will be fine though, normally 85k is DMF time for a DSG, you can re-use the clutch pack as they are generally alright still having had the soft touch of an ECU rather than old Mrs Jones pedal foot rest treatment.

Edited by Supurbia

I drove a DSG recently and I have to say I was impressed and I would be one of those would normally be dismissive of an auto.  I'd definitely consider the DSG if it wasn't a full €3,000 more expensive than the manual, as it is here in Ireland due to the way our system works  :devil:   I can see why it is more of a realistic option to add in the UK as the price difference is almost half that

Good to know for when mines ready

What age/miles did you take it in at?

Used them a few times and been impressed with the work done by Matt

Mine is 4 years old, 63k on the clock.

It was Mot time, so Matt did them both together. Thought I'd get the DSG service out the way for my own piece of mind, as we tow quite a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DSG for people who don't pay for their own cars (on account of limited real life longevity and frequent four figure repair bills), manual gearbox for everyone else except people routinely stuck in traffic jams and the elderly. Tiptronic for the elderly (clutch becomes hard work with age) and people regularly stuck in traffic jams (cannot beat tiptronic reliability over DSG's overheating clutches in crawling traffic).

Just my personal opinion. I'll drive a manual for the next few decades, then switch to tiptronic and/or full electric... or a bus.

Edited by dieselV6

£1200 (cost of replacing DSG clutch pack and usually DMF, often as early as 60k miles, especially if the car has been crawling a lot) is a four figure number, the issues do not have to be widespread, it is enough that they affect you in particular, as I found out this year when engine block of my Roomster started seeping fuel into oil resulting in car out of use for 6 weeks in total (but thankfully repaired under warranty). Cost of replacing entire DSG is considerably higher and definitely in 4 figures again

Regarding possible issues and the cost/hassle of fixing them / replacing the box, do a search on DSG issues, plenty of reading. DSG box might be convenient, but is not a good long term investment. Any 200k mileage taxis with DSG box on this forum? A maintained manual box (oil changed every 4-5 years, greased shift mechanism) will go on past 300k easily

I'd say that the only tosh seems to be your opinionated, uniformed comment  :dull:

Edited by dieselV6

• 4 months later...

I had a Passat CC with DSG, covered over 120k miles and never had a problem with it, the only thing I ever did apart from regular servicing was ask for it to be 'reset' at each service which 'smoothed' it out.

Personally I'd go DSG every time, except this time as my Superb Greenline doesn't have the DSG option :thumbdown: , but my wife's Octavia is DSG :thumbup: so I still get to drive with DSG whenever I feel like it.

I have to admit both cars are company cars so the potential cost of repair doesn't bother me, but you only get to hear the stories of those that do go wrong, there must be thousands out there that have been fine.

Go DSG.

DSG is pretty reliable,

As cabs the general rule is this

You will need a DMF between 70-120k and the clutch plates generally go again as they don't get worn like a manual driver wears them,

The oil change I'm on the fence with,

I had mine done and noticed nothing different,

If I ever own one again I'm going to saturate a new filter every 40k and fit that unless warranty demands it done fully,

There are three types of DSG as well

6 spd wet clutch for TDi's

6 spd wet clutch for V6's

7 speed dry clutch for 1.8 TSi

Any 200k mileage taxis with DSG box on this forum? A maintained manual box (oil changed every 4-5 years, greased shift mechanism) will go on past 300k easily

Yes, how about 470,000kms (post 7) and 250,000 miles (post 4) http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/237319-reliability-of-high-miles-diesel-dsg/

So DMF on almost every high mileage DSG, that job alone is probably £500+, at least in the South.

If you use a car for business or have someone else paying for the repairs, DSG is a no brainer. For private purchases though, and cars kept for more than 120k miles/6 years, I wouldn't buy it.