Travel advice - Which way from Shropshire to Dover. M40 or M1

Big Rich

Afternoon everyone, after you combined knowledge and advice.

Next Friday evening circa 9pm we are setting off to Dover (for a 3am sailing) from Shropshire and I'm umming an ahhing as to which way to go.

It's been 4 years since we travelled to Dover and last time we did M54, M6, M1, M25, M20,

However, i belive that there are lots of roadworks on the M25 stretch so I was wondering if going via the M40 would be a better option

I regularly do the M1 during a weekday, but haven't travelled south on a Friday night.

I'm hopng that someone my be able to give me an idea of the road status around the clockwise M25 between the M1 and M20.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Based on the time of day travelling I can't see any roadworks causing a serious issue, even if you have a 10-mile stretch of 50mph... The M25 lane-widening will be all average-speed checked, but I drove a lot of it when it was between the M4 and M1 and it all still had 3 lanes open so always flowed unless something bad had happened or in the height of rush-hour. The chances of you being significantly delayed by it at that time of day are slim.

• Like 1

Cheers. I had a look on the various motorway websites and couldn't see of any motorway closures happening next Friday evening, so I'm guessing the best bet is check onthe day and make a decision based on the traffic reports.

M40 is quieter and doesn't have as many road works.

J4 is the Wycombe junction and that can help if the M25 is clogged at Heathrow. I've actually gone west on the M4 from there to M4 J10 and down to the M3 through Bracknell to get around it.

Have fun.

The M40 is a 3 lane motorway for the most part - and on the whole, people use it like that.

The M1 is a 3 lane motorway to Luton then a 4 lane motorway thereafter - but it may as well just be a 2 lane motorway because it's full of middle-lane hoggers who effectively make lane 1 (or in the 4-lane section - lane 1 & 2) completely irrelevant.

Use the M40.

Every time.

If the M40 route appeals, I suggest you stick to it right on to the M25.  At that time of day the M25 isn't carrying enough traffic to cause as much delay as crossing over to the M4 at Wycombe.  If you switch, by the time you've dealt with the M4/A404 junction roundabout (traffic-light controlled) and driven down to the M4 you could well be half-way to Heathrow on the M25 via the full M40 route.  Have a safe journey, whichever route you chose :happy:

The M40 is a 3 lane motorway for the most part - and on the whole, people use it like that.

The M1 is a 3 lane motorway to Luton then a 4 lane motorway thereafter - but it may as well just be a 2 lane motorway because it's full of middle-lane hoggers who effectively make lane 1 (or in the 4-lane section - lane 1 & 2) completely irrelevant.

Use the M40.

Every time.

On behalf of "middle lane hoggers" I must make a point.

Most of us continue with what we are taught and in my case Motorways were non existent when we passed our new fangled driving tests.

When the M1 was completed the Highway Code was amended to include it and defined the 3 lanes as;

Inside lane for slow moving traffic. 

Centre lane for normal traffic.

Outside lane for overtaking ONLY.

There was no National Speed limit in those days either but having said that few car could exceed 70mph anyway!

As other Motorways were completed circumstances have changed over the years but I still feel guilty encroaching into the slow lane. 

Before all the flamers start to incinerate me this is posted for purely historical reasons and is not intended to represent my current driving habits. :giggle: 

BTW I agree, the M40 is much more caravan friendly.

Fred, (donning tin hat and flameproof suit.)

Hi Big Rich,

All down to personal choice.

One way could be; M6 join M6 toll (£5.50) then M42, then M40, then M25, round to M26 on to M20.

Did a run from Burnley couple of months ago on a Friday evening, a must is use the M6 toll.

I live in West London, takes me hour & three quarters from the M40 - M25 junction to the Euro Tunnel at Ashford. Dover's about 15-20 minutes further.

Good luck with your trip and enjoy.

At that time of day doesn't make a huge difference. M1 is quicker but tends to be more fighty. M40 is quieter but also very dull. M25 roadworks won't be an issue by the time you get to them and Dartford should also be clear. I tend to use M1 if I am going to be near the M25 anywhere near busy times and M40 other than that.

No need to use (or therefore pay for) M6 Toll at that time of day.

(20 year experience M25/A1 based coach driver)

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

And if you are coming from the Telford direction (M54) it is a toal pain in the .......getting onto the M6 Toll!

Very true. You end up going north for a few miles through a built up area before you can go south. And if you miss the junction on the M54 (signs aren't great) you end up on the M6 proper and have sod about even more to get back to the toll. Just not worth the bother IMO.

Cheers

Rog

Very true. You end up going north for a few miles through a built up area before you can go south. And if you miss the junction on the M54 (signs aren't great) you end up on the M6 proper and have sod about even more to get back to the toll. Just not worth the bother IMO.

Cheers

Rog

Quite. Got the T shirt!!

TBH from here we normally just head south to Abergavenny then join the M4 at Newport, or if not in a hurry head across country to Hereford, Gloucester and Swindon to join the M4..

The cameras on the M20 between 4-7 will be new to you. Only active when variable limit in force and over a certain limit. Just in case the lack of traffic results in a heavy right foot. Safe journey

On behalf of "middle lane hoggers" I must make a point.

Most of us continue with what we are taught and in my case Motorways were non existent when we passed our new fangled driving tests.

When the M1 was completed the Highway Code was amended to include it and defined the 3 lanes as;

Inside lane for slow moving traffic. 

Centre lane for normal traffic.

Outside lane for overtaking ONLY.

There was no National Speed limit in those days either but having said that few car could exceed 70mph anyway!

As other Motorways were completed circumstances have changed over the years but I still feel guilty encroaching into the slow lane. 

Before all the flamers start to incinerate me this is posted for purely historical reasons and is not intended to represent my current driving habits. :giggle: 

BTW I agree, the M40 is much more caravan friendly.

Fred, (donning tin hat and flameproof suit.)

Having to use the A1 in the North I just wish for the chance to be a middle lane hogger! Predominantly 2 lane and the road is bogged down by lorries insisting on overtaking each other at a relative speed of approx 2 MPH! If lorries were forbidden to overtake on 2 lane highways then the traffic would flow smoothly and much more evenly and quickly, bunching would be greatly reduced and accidents minimised. Why isn't it law????

I think I should either read the map FIRST, or shut the hell up.

Anyway, nice to get other (correct) answers. Makes for a bit of friendly banter.

Big Rich, enjoy your drive.

Come on Graham, it is a hot day. Viscosity of brain lubricant goes out of spec at these temperatures, well mine does anyway. :giggle:  :kiss:

Fred 

• Like 1

I regularly do a similar journey from stafford. My preferred route is m6 m5 m42 m40 then m25 anti clockwise

would be my preferred route

used to work in Oldbury just off J2 M5 leave work about 6pm back in north kent for 9:00 - 9:30,

bits to be aware of, j10 m40 regular holdups, j4 m40 sometimes holdups, j16-j10 m25 slow, j8-j5 slow (especially normally past clacket lane services) m20 slow from m26/m20 join to Maidstone

plenty of variable speed limit on m25, and now on m20 around Maidstone j4-j8

My preferred route is m6 m5 m42 m40 then m25 anti clockwise

This, EVERY time.

Apart from the roadworks on the M54 (just before the M6 merge) and on the M5 (just before the M42 split) the only time you will come off the CC (at that time of the night) will be the merge onto the M25 (even that can be done at 70 though - when you know it)