Fabia MK2 loud engine

Just wanted to check whether it is fairly normal for the 1.2 (70hp version) to sound fairly growly. My mrs is thinking of buying one and I test drove it today. Drove great, but just sounded louder than I had expected! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Yes the 1.2 HTP 3 cylinder is noisier than the TSI.  Swapped my HTP for a TSI a couple of months ago and I could tell the difference straight away.  The HTP is a good straightforward and reliable engine though.

I have the 3-cylinder diesel... Imagine how loud that is!!!! Lol

Jokes aside I love the sound of a 3 cylinder, caught at the right revs it growls real nice.

And at least its half way to a Porsche!!

Edited by tamiyaandy
  • Like 1

I have had my Fabia Scout Tsi (61 plate) for two weeks. In the mornings, on a 10 minute drive into work, when I stop at the lights or a junction, it's really noisy, it sounds like a road tarmac driller, and I think it's coming from under the bonnet. Most evenings (on the way home) and on most other journeys it's much quieter or non-existent, but driving home late last night it was noisy again. It's fine while I'm moving and there are no warning lisghts on - is this noise normal? Is there anything I should check? Any thoughts gratefully received! Thank you.

Karen, get your car into the dealer asap and tell them about the noise and ask them to check the cam chain has not stretched. There is a known issue with early 1.2 tsi engines where a substandard chain was used and it stretches, making occasional loud rattling noises usually when starting or at idle. Eventually they come off the sprocket and trash the engine. VAG know about this, there is an internal bulletin about it, and they will replace it along with other related parts for an improved design free of charge.

The only problem you may have - as I currently have, with my son's Octavia - is the reluctance of the dealer to acknowledge the problem and consult Skoda UK.

Edited by xman

Karen, get your car into the dealer asap and tell them about the noise and ask them to check the cam chain has not stretched. There is a known issue with early 1.2 tsi engines where a substandard chain was used and it stretches, making occasional loud rattling noises usually when starting or at idle. Eventually they come off the sprocket and trash the engine. VAG know about this, there is an internal bulletin about it, and they will replace it along with other related parts for an improved design free of charge.

The only problem you may have - as I currently have, with my son's Octavia - is the reluctance of the dealer to acknowledge the problem and consult Skoda UK.

As a 61 plate it should not have the problems you mention.

The engine is not noisy but does have a characteristic clatter on idle ( almost like the old fashioned tappet clatter) which my Skoda dealer said was the dual fuel pumps the engine has?

Definitely a trip to the dealer to have it checked out.

KarenP,  

Welcome to the forum.

Could you have a Look at your Service Book folder and see if their is an Invoice for the Last Service carried out.

Look and see what Oil is on the Invoice as being used at the last Service. & post here what it was.

There are 1.2 TSI as well as other cars that were given the Wrong Oil for the engine in the car.

george

To OP yeah the htp engine does sound a little growly at times but is perfectly normal just part of its character. For a little engine it goes pretty well. 

To KarenP sounds like the same noise I had a few weeks ago which was getting worse it was the fuel lines vibrating against the chassis like a hammer being knocked very quickly against metal but only when at idle and worse with air con off. I suspected the chain and still think I may have an issue with this but the other noise is now gone. Try and get it done before the warranty runs out as it is a known fault but only got the padding if the customer complained about the noise. I got charged due to have to pay diagnosis for that along with an issue with the speedo and rev counter needles fluctuating which is still not resolved I think may be the HT leads starting to melt due to the design. 

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your advice and thoughts. I'm off on holiday to Cardigan Bay tomorrow for a week so I hope it will not come a cropper while we're there. I'll get it booked into Skoda for a look-see as soon as I'm back.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your advice and thoughts. I'm off on holiday to Cardigan Bay tomorrow for a week so I hope it will not come a cropper while we're there. I'll get it booked into Skoda for a look-see as soon as I'm back.

It will be fine! Mines gone again but it's not stopped me hammering it round Yorkshire

Just wanted to check whether it is fairly normal for the 1.2 (70hp version) to sound fairly growly. My mrs is thinking of buying one and I test drove it today. Drove great, but just sounded louder than I had expected! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

It should be quiet when ticking over, and relatively quiet when town driving. If you boot it though, it should growl abit and they are noisier out of town than the TSI's