Carista OBD2 - A cheaper alternative to (some of) VCDS

If you want the full functionality, why not buy VCDS (a copy) on ***** for £10?

Because you would be buying a counterfeit product using an out-of-date version of VCDS which has been hacked to work with the supplied interface.

What do I need to buy to use with my iphone?

Looking on Carista's site...

http://www.caristaapp.com/hardware/

...for an iPhone (iOS) you need a WiFi adaptor not the Bluetooth one I have just bought (for my Android phone).

Plenty on eBay but the price doubles to around a tenner...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2054897.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H1.XELM+327+Wifi.TRS0&_nkw=ELM+327+Wifi&ghostText=&_sacat=0

• Like 1

What do I need to buy to use with my iphone?

For the princely sum of £9.88, I'm in this for sh*ts and giggles:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DYOVXZ0

And this extension cable, to tuck the dongle out of the way so that I can have live g-meter and accelerometer displayed on my phone from one of the other apps:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OOONHH6

• Like 2

HI guys

I bought the ELM 327 but it seems that the obd plug on the car looks different. I havent tried to plug it in cos I am a little weary.  I have a 56 Octavia elegance 1.6.  Does anyone have any suggestions,,,are there different types of plugs. Sorry guys I am new to this.    

• Like 1

Welcome to Briskoda Oxhey  :sun:

From Carista's website:

Every car and light truck since 1996 (US market) or 2001/2004 (Euro market petrol/diesel, respectively) is required to have a standard trapezoid-shaped diagnostic port, known as an “OBD2″ port. A typical OBD2 port is shown in the picture here; by law, the port must be located inside the vehicle, within reach of the driver. In most vehicles, the port is under the dashboard, near the pedals; in some others, it is in the center console and/or under another panel like an ash tray. It may have a protective cap that needs to be removed before you plug in the ELM327 device. To find the exact location for your vehicle, consult your owner’s manual or search the web. Plug in your ELM327 Bluetooth device into your vehicle’s OBD2 port, make sure it is firmly connected, and turn your ignition to the “ON” position, without starting the engine.

pic1.png

Your 2006 MkII Octavia will have the correct diagnostics port for sure!

The website and app mention in app purchase to do the changes etc.... But there is no mention of cost either on the website or in the Apple App Store?

How much is the in-app purchase anyone know?

The website and app mention in app purchase to do the changes etc.... But there is no mention of cost either on the website or in the Apple App Store?

How much is the in-app purchase anyone know?

It's about £15 - £15.90 when I purchased.

Or buy a proper VCDS cable and run the Ross-Tech software freely available on their website

So the VCDS software is free? How much for the cable?

• Like 1

lol So still aound £100 plus more..... For something i'd very very rarely use. ;)

You asked :)

I'd rather rely on it than a free app and a piece of plastic off ebay, and bearing in mind a diagnostic check at a dealer is £70 it's paid for itself several times over

You asked :)

I'd rather rely on it than a free app and a piece of plastic off ebay, and bearing in mind a diagnostic check at a dealer is £70 it's paid for itself several times over

Sell it to me though without the need to go to a dealer though..... Bearing in mind the number of VCDS owners within this area. ;)

Sell it to me though without the need to go to a dealer though..... Bearing in mind the number of VCDS owners within this area. ;)

I don't need to sell it to you, you pays your money and takes your choice

I've made my choice and paid accordingly

Maybe if everyone goes down the app and dongle route people will be self-reliant, as I am :)

There is a place for VCDS, without doubt. It is a truly brilliant piece of software. The high price goes quite a way towards the constant development required to make it as effective as it is, and to keep up with VAG's constant model upgrades.

I'd also suggest it's purpose is more suited for independent garages rather than for personal use. My local non-Skoda indy has it and his hourly labour rates are much less than Skoda.

I am also grateful for the fact that members on here have invested for their own use, I for one have had my fair share of support from VCDS owning members.

£125 was a surprise for me, whilst still a fair chunk of cash it is a lot less than the £250+ I always thought it used to be. My local dealer charges a flat rate of £65 for a diagnostics check.

Saying that, the Carista solution sounds brilliant (I'll reserve judgement until my ELM327 arrives). The vast majority of my tweaks I've wanted to do over the years sound possible with Carista which means I become self sufficient!

VCDS has cost me lot's of beer over the years  :D

• Like 1

Hmmm, my ELM327 arrived this morning.

Plugged it in to the wife's 2008 Octavia Scout, ran a fault code check, saw some known / expected fault codes, nice little feature.

Then went into customise to see what was available for me to play with.

I really wanted to turn on DRL's and set them to use the front fog lights which I noticed was an option mentioned earlier in this thread on another car. It was worth the £5 just to see if it would appear as an option for me.

I was pleased to see two options:

1) Turn DRL's On > Off > All Lights > Headlights Only

2) Use front fogs as DRL's.

Great I thought, went to option 2 to set the DRL's as front fogs, selected On and hit Save.

I then got the message that I needed to upgrade to Pro for £15.90. Hmm, a little unexpected but as I saw the feature I wanted I decided it was worth the extra cash and paid.

No fog lights as DRL's though.

So I thought I needed to go into option 1 and turn DRL's to 'On', but I don't want to use 'Headlights', nor do I want to use 'All Lights', I want to use the fogs.

A bit contradictory between options 1 and 2 then!

Anyhow I set option 1 to 'All Lights' and on popped the front fog lights, great! Or so I thought. I jumped out and noticed that the front side lights and rear lights were on too.

Not what I want as with the side lights on it looks as though I've turned the fogs on manually by first switching on the side lights.

So turned off 'All Lights' and tried 'Headlights Only', sure enough side lights went off, so did the fog lights and on popped the dipped headlights.

Grrr! So it appears that I can't set it so that only the front fogs lights come on as DRL's.

Maybe VCDS would have been better after all!

• Like 2

Hmmm, my ELM327 arrived this morning.

Plugged it in to the wife's 2008 Octavia Scout, ran a fault code check, saw some known / expected fault codes, nice little feature.

Then went into customise to see what was available for me to play with.

I really wanted to turn on DRL's and set them to use the front fog lights which I noticed was an option mentioned earlier in this thread on another car. It was worth the £5 just to see if it would appear as an option for me.

I was pleased to see two options:

1) Turn DRL's On > Off > All Lights > Headlights Only

2) Use front fogs as DRL's.

Great I thought, went to option 2 to set the DRL's as front fogs, selected On and hit Save.

I then got the message that I needed to upgrade to Pro for £15.90. Hmm, a little unexpected but as I saw the feature I wanted I decided it was worth the extra cash and paid.

No fog lights as DRL's though.

So I thought I needed to go into option 1 and turn DRL's to 'On', but I don't want to use 'Headlights', nor do I want to use 'All Lights', I want to use the fogs.

A bit contradictory between options 1 and 2 then!

Anyhow I set option 1 to 'All Lights' and on popped the front fog lights, great! Or so I thought. I jumped out and noticed that the front side lights and rear lights were on too.

Not what I want as with the side lights on it looks as though I've turned the fogs on manually by first switching on the side lights.

So turned off 'All Lights' and tried 'Headlights Only', sure enough side lights went off, so did the fog lights and on popped the dipped headlights.

Grrr! So it appears that I can't set it so that only the front fogs lights come on as DRL's.

Maybe VCDS would have been better after all!

I'd hate to say "I told you so"

But...........

;)