Smartlink Unlocking/Activation option

So MY16 Scout with Amundsden and MIB2 

When looking through the menu, it suggests I can unlock smartlink with an activation code from my dealer.

Anyone have any wisdom on this? Worth it?

Would I need the WiFi module? (Smartgate?) Bluetooth connection? or a cable? (Of which, the only connection I have is the USB and aux jack)

I have no idea about unlocking it, but common sense tells me it should be just be some software magic as you already have the mib2.

And a usb cable should be enough. Cant imagine that wifi is needed.

• Like 2

@Jono Smartlink basics...

It's the combination of MirrorLink, Android Auto and (Apple) CarPlay. It works over USB cable and you need a compatible handset.

Basically certain types of certified apps on your phone (I believe mainly navigation and music apps) can take control of the screen with an alternate & optimised UI (compared to what you see on your phone) and you effectively benefit from basically using an app which lives and runs on your phone, from your head unit screen.

Basically down the line the head unit's screen is in some respects a dumb slave to your phone which can easily evolve hardware and software wise (upgrade, software updates) so you continue to benefit from latest features and services without having to replace your head unit or car.

E.g. Google maps on your phone will continue to evolve in terms of interface and features and of course you always have up to date maps. When your three years free maps updates runs out and you need up to date maps you'll probably want to make use of Smartlink. Or you may want it now as you feel there are other immediate benefits to using Google maps over the built in Nav software.

I need to check this, but my fear was that in heavily built up areas (like central London) phone based Nav isn't great as GPS signal pickup on a phone is poor. Apparently the phone/app can use the head unit's GPS hardware which is more capable.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

• Like 1

Oh and some wrong reasons to get Smartlink now...

- To possibly be the first person in the UK to request enablement of the feature

- To confirm to us folks here on the forum that Smartlink can be enabled by the dealer post production and that it really is just a license key as suggested by the message on the screen.

- Test to see if Skoda/dealership know about this and can efficiently manage your request (my theory is they won't have a clue, as usual!)

:-D

• Like 3

Oh and some wrong reasons to get Smartlink now...

- To possibly be the first person in the UK to request enablement of the feature

- To confirm to us folks here on the forum that Smartlink can be enabled by the dealer post production and that it really is just a license key as suggested by the message on the screen.

- Test to see if Skoda/dealership know about this and can efficiently manage your request (my theory is they won't have a clue, as usual!)

:-D

I'll email my dealer... my salesman away a couple of days though and I suspect therer will be some headscratching in the service Dept!

• Like 1

By the way, are the manuals that come with the car updated to MY16? Are the new logos on buttons shown, details and instructions around the new Infotainment and it's revised/new features (generally but in particular Smartlink)?

By the way, are the manuals that come with the car updated to MY16? Are the new logos on buttons shown, details and instructions around the new Infotainment and it's revised/new features (generally but in particular Smartlink)?

Offtopic: which buttons? Climatronic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear that enabling SL is just a matter of sofware update.

Just to point out some restrictions - Google maps is not MirrorLink-ready, which means that as soon as the car is moving it won't work. Basically there are not so many apps that are MirrorLink compatible some due to legal and(or) safety reasons i.e. you can't mirror the video player when driving.

As for the navigation - there is one certified app - Cygic which you have to pay to use (not sure about the price). The list of available apps can be found here:

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/product-features/smartlink/

From my perspective you should clarify what you want to use on the car screen and what apps are available in order to make wise decision.

PS: I believe that in the near future more and more apps will be ML-ready.

@iphonik4, Yes Climatronic... Setup->Menu. Also some other changes if I recall correctly... Infotainment controls on steering wheel as well as logos on electric windows? I seem to recall someone posted a document from a dealer on the MY16 thread which summarised all the changes

• Like 1

Glad to hear that enabling SL is just a matter of sofware update.

Just to point out some restrictions - Google maps is not MirrorLink-ready, which means that as soon as the car is moving it won't work. Basically there are not so many apps that are MirrorLink compatible some due to legal and(or) safety reasons i.e. you can't mirror the video player when driving.

As for the navigation - there is one certified app - Cygic which you have to pay to use (not sure about the price). The list of available apps can be found here:

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/product-features/smartlink/

From my perspective you should clarify what you want to use on the car screen and what apps are available in order to make wise decision.

PS: I believe that in the near future more and more apps will be ML-ready.

erm not quite true I think, true for mirror link but the new MIB2 units come with android auto so the only app you need on your phone is the android auto app. 

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-auto-basics

I think we'll find out more of this as people start to pick up and play with their MY16 cars, the first ones are coming through now. What you describe is the mirror link shambles that has got early adopters of the Fabia III so worked up and venting their fury at Skoda UK. 

Skoda UK haven't exactly covered themselves in glory over smart link mirror link etc. Have a read in the fabia section to see the full shambles

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Dear Mr Jono

Thank you for your email dated 24 June regarding your ŠKODA Octavia.

I can confirm that it is possible to activate the Smartlink option on your car. At the time you placed your order, Smartlink had
not been developed and was not a Factory fitted option; it has recently become available order as an optional Factory fitted
extra at a cost of £150.00.

However, it is not possible to upgrade systems to allow the retro-fitting of Smartlink. This can only be done whilst the car is
being built. I apologise for any disappointment caused.

I hope this information proves useful. Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact me on the
telephone number below.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good,
Customer Relations Advisor

ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel: +44 (0)333 0037504 | fax: +44 (0)844 8267855

Thoughts???

Dear Mr Jono

I can confirm that it is possible to activate the Smartlink option on your car. At the time you placed your order, Smartlink had

not been developed and was not a Factory fitted option; it has recently become available order as an optional Factory fitted

However, it is not possible to upgrade systems to allow the retro-fitting of Smartlink. This can only be done whilst the car is

I hope this information proves useful. Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact me on the

telephone number below.

Kind regards

John Good,

Thoughts???

What was your build date?

Confused. It can be activated but can't be retro fitted.....but if it's already technically fitted then why would you want to retro fit it.

So are they basically saying they don't know what cars they fitted it to?

Sounds like maybe it's like Audi sat nav in the A1, hardware is there buy needs activating by factory/dealer?

Hi John,

I would like you double-check please.

Specifically because my vehicle is a Model-Year 2016 build and contains the newest MIB2 Amundsden unit that is actually telling me that I can contact my dealer for an activation code.

I'm aware Skoda-UK may not have the definitive answer to my question so would be grateful if you could confirm with Skoda Cz.

If Skoda UK wish to use my vehicle as a first-installation test of activating smartgate after delivery, I would be more than happy to allow you to install it for free, as a test. 

Many Thanks,

Jono
  • Like 1

that's a self contradicting email if ever I saw one

I can confirm you can activate this, but you can't fit it except in the factory, sorry for the bad news

eh??

• Like 1

If Skoda UK wish to use my vehicle as a first-installation test of activating smartgate after delivery, I would be more than happy to allow you to install it for free, as a test.

Did you mean to say Smartlink here, rather than Smartgate?

I think, as usual, SUK don't know what they're talking about. They've only just been able to confirm that British cars are getting 6.5" MIB2 after weeks of denials. Maybe you should include a picture of the unit telling you that it can be activated.

Edited by Rodge

Did you mean to say Smartlink here, rather than Smartgate?

I think, as usual, SUK don't know what they're talking about. They've only just been able to confirm that British cars are getting 6.5" MIB2 after weeks of denials. Maybe you should include a picture of the unit telling you that it can be activated.

Yeah, oops, that'll really confuse em.

I've just posted this on the MY16 thread but I'll repeat it here as it applies just as much

Bob Parkhurst: I want to see how a war is fought, so badly.

Captain Blackadder: Well, you've come to the right place, Bob. A war hasn't been fought this badly since Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all the vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

They give you hope, then they whisk it away, and then you are just left confused about the whole process..

Sounds about right for smartlink communications!

• Like 1

Dear Mr Jono

telephone number below.

Kind regards

John Good,

Thoughts???

Shouldn't the Customer Relations Advisor be called  "John Not so Good "    :giggle:

• Like 3