Best alternative?

Getting increasingly cheesed off with Skoda. What alternatives are available at similar price/spec as SE Business hatch? Seems that the leasing deals are stupidly good with Skoda. An equivalentish Audi A6 is maybe 20% more to buy (at discounted rates) but leasing deals maybe 30% more. What other marques/models are worth a look?

Edited by thewinelake

If its to be leased and the main aim is vfm/most amount of tech and metal for the money Im not convinced it actually has much competition. I've been looking at A6 leases for some time - something along the lines of an A6 SE Ultra 2.0 TDi (the S line's ride is to hard for my liking) and they seem to be around £260-290 for a personal lease over 24 months with about £1500 down. Bearing in mind they are a little tight on the equipment and are essentially a run out model now... for around £119 you can get into a Superb Business SE Estate over the same period and a similar amount down. I think that's an exceptionally strong case. Less than £5,000 for the cost of 2 years ownership on a big comfy, fairly well loaded barge like the Superb is a fantastic deal.

why are you cheesed off with Skoda?

if you are leasing i struggle to see why they have been awkward. yes there was the alloys change and long lead times, but  you are getting a car similar to an E class/5 series for the price of an Astra.

• Like 1

Long - and increasing - lead times. If they'd said at the outset it'd be 25 weeks, then I could have been better prepared. My problem is that I'm replacing a car that could, at any time, generate a big and non-economically viable garage bill! I made a mistake (thanks to my greed) of switching from Freedom to a Skoda dealer just to save a few quid. The resulting order delay of about 4 weeks (it took 2 weeks to get re-approved for finance; something that Freedom managed to get done very quickly) will cost more like 20 weeks in delivery delay. Serves me right!

I was considering at one point Merc C350e. If I could have done that as a company car, it could effectively have cost about the same as the Superb (remarkable, really), but the work situation has been too fluid for that to be a viable option - and they were talking about March/April 16 delivery (something I'll be lucky to get with the Superb).

Only alternative options I've seen are ex-stock Ford Focuses and the like. When I imagine how I'd feel with a Superb on my drive cf a Ford, I'm still prepared to risk it. I think if I see a great offer on something else ex-stock before March, I might still switch, but I doubt that'll happen.

Edited by thewinelake

Car ordered 27/7 and still waiting delivery. Car was allegedly on boat once but it now seems its still awaiting shipping after being built first week of November. Experience of Skoda to date been awful. Their comms awful too.

Long - and increasing - lead times. If they'd said at the outset it'd be 25 weeks, then I could have been better prepared. My problem is that I'm replacing a car that could, at any time, generate a big and non-economically viable garage bill! I made a mistake (thanks to my greed) of switching from Freedom to a Skoda dealer just to save a few quid. The resulting order delay of about 4 weeks (it took 2 weeks to get re-approved for finance; something that Freedom managed to get done very quickly) will cost more like 20 weeks in delivery delay. Serves me right!

I was considering at one point Merc C350e. If I could have done that as a company car, it could effectively have cost about the same as the Superb (remarkable, really), but the work situation has been too fluid for that to be a viable option - and they were talking about March/April 16 delivery (something I'll be lucky to get with the Superb).

Only alternative options I've seen are ex-stock Ford Focuses and the like. When I imagine how I'd feel with a Superb on my drive cf a Ford, I'm still prepared to risk it. I think if I see a great offer on something else ex-stock before March, I might still switch, but I doubt that'll happen.

Cant remember your whole story now ... Been a while :-) didn't you cancel 2 orders ? Posted this in another thread but I already thought you had abandoned the Superb for pastures new. Did you place another order ?

• Like 1

Real shame you didn't go through and stick with Freedom - I put my order in with them last month and they have been great thus far. Great communications via email and a further call today to say... There's no confirmed build date yet but they expect to have that for me by Christmas. Delivery estimate is early to mid March.

Is it really Skoda's fault? If you keep chopping and changing your order it's going to cause delays.

Iirc you were ordering your car at the same time as I did in the same spec from the same dealer. I'm expecting mine to be delivered within the next week or so as it's built and on its way...

Real shame you didn't go through and stick with Freedom - I put my order in with them last month and they have been great thus far. Great communications via email and a further call today to say... There's no confirmed build date yet but they expect to have that for me by Christmas. Delivery estimate is early to mid March.

You would of still been waiting for the C350e now.... plus not a great MPG... the S3 will be worth it.

Oh yes, they said the lead time for that was ridiculous. Not sure about economy as I think I could have done most of my regular driving on electric. The BIK is great (stupidly so IMHO) on these plugin hybrids - even though the autonomy is pretty modest. SIII still my favoured option. Perhaps more so now!

• Like 1

Would a Jaguar XF not close to a like for, starting to see some cracking deals. Might be temp if my SE L gets delayed

Was talking to someone yesterday who has just paid £26k for a Jaguar XF as there is a new model on the way, which does look good value next to the £28.5k for my Superb.

You should consider that the XF is essentially an 8 year old model/design now so not sure I'd be happy spending nigh on £30k on a new one.

But you could also argue that there's a benefit to buying into a tried and tested platform as opposed to a brand new model on a very recently launched platform.

But you could also argue that there's a benefit to buying into a tried and tested platform as opposed to a brand new model on a very recently launched platform.

True, but in that case why not buy a new MKII Superb instead?

• Like 1

Isn't an XF rather more expensive on fuel/insurance/tax etc? I do like the XE, though....

And it will be about as reliable as a £2 watch. Steer clear they are not what they seem.

Friends with an XF used to come round to ours and get a bit drunk, I would drive them back to their in-laws in their XF then Step dad would give me a lift home in his  old XJ6.

The difference was amazing, the XF felt(and looked like) an upmarket Vauxhall insignia.

I wanted to put on a smoking jacket, light a cigar and have a large port in the XJ.

I prefered feeling like Terry Thomas to David Brent.

• Like 3