Hatch opens randomly - any ideas

I don't know if it has been changed but I have to press hold the button for a considerable time before the boot opens, one quick push does nothing.

Maybe my fob is faulty but I have to make a determined push to operate it. Unlocking the doors is a quick press as normal.

That's normal. A brief press should actually briefly flash the indicators but only a sustained press will open the electric boot/hatch.

It's that sustained press caused by pressure on your pockets when sitting that is the basis of the issue.

You haven't got a video of you trying out your key cover have you BillyJim :D

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if a neighbour has and is now contacting the local Care In The Community!

• Like 1

That's normal. A brief press should actually briefly flash the indicators but only a sustained press will open the electric boot/hatch.

It's that sustained press caused by pressure on your pockets when sitting that is the basis of the issue.

Oh OK. Not a problem I have as I gave up tight jeans quite a while ago! Edited by facet edge

Ok got so fed up with this that I decided to take drastic action.

Took  the key apart, easy but you do need a very small torx driver, and took out the buttons.

On the back of the boot opening button there is a small peg that presses on the switch, cut this off with a sharp knife, put it all back together and hey presto, boot opening is now totally disabled!

Looking back I guess I could have just shortened the peg a little so you had to press harder for it to activate. I'll see if I miss the function or not and I could always glue a little bit of plastic onto the button if I needed to or modify the spare key as well.

But happy now that I will not come out in the morning to find the boot wide open!

Yes I know I could have taken the key out of my pocket whilst in doors but I prefer to keep it in my trouser pocket, just a habit really.

I think this option is tempting. I'd actually thought about taking a look at the innards of the key fob but hadn't got around to investigating further. I'll give the key case a go but I'll also take a look at those screws on the fob tomorrow to see if I have the right tools to open it.

Glad to know it's not just me who's been having this issue with the Superb. The local dealership is small (I think they've only sold four estates with powered tailgates) but staff there did not identify the key fob as the likely source of the issue so there may not be many owners experiencing/reporting it.

It has certainly led to a disappointing ownership experience in the 8 months or so that I've had the car, an ex-demonstrator first registered in 2015. Our lack of confidence in the security of the car has even led to a decision to use my wife's super-mini for a short break we have booked in a few weeks' time and also for our main summer holiday. Maybe next year, if we can get through the rest of this year without the boot opening accidentally, we'll feel happy enough about it to go ahead and take the Superb on holiday with us. 

I think this option is tempting. I'd actually thought about taking a look at the innards of the key fob but hadn't got around to investigating further. I'll give the key case a go but I'll also take a look at those screws on the fob tomorrow to see if I have the right tools to open it.

Glad to know it's not just me who's been having this issue with the Superb. The local dealership is small (I think they've only sold four estates with powered tailgates) but staff there did not identify the key fob as the likely source of the issue so there may not be many owners experiencing/reporting it.

It has certainly led to a disappointing ownership experience in the 8 months or so that I've had the car, an ex-demonstrator first registered in 2015. Our lack of confidence in the security of the car has even led to a decision to use my wife's super-mini for a short break we have booked in a few weeks' time and also for our main summer holiday. Maybe next year, if we can get through the rest of this year without the boot opening accidentally, we'll feel happy enough about it to go ahead and take the Superb on holiday with us.

Vcds. Code the feature out. Don't break things

• Like 1

Been working my way through various VCDS posts in other threads over the past few days, when I've had time. Not sure coding this out is an option. Don't think it's in the thread of confirmed VCDS fixes I quickly looked through the other day.

All I'd want to do is amend things so that the effective range of pressing and holding that button to open the boot was limited in the way it is by the restrictions that mean to close the boot the key must be no more than two metres from the back of the car.

Pretty sure you cannot adjust the range (probably determined by the remote) but there should be an option to disable it with VCDS... I have not checked however as it’s not something I intend to do.

I have not used VCDS for years, but from memory from within Vagcom i would expect to see something like  Rear Lid / boot / trunk Remote Opening - Release in Central Electronics

Edited by RickTT

Don't break things

Not broken, just modified, can be put back to normal if required.

Although I may try shortening the peg on the spare key so that you really have to press hard to get it to work, this may be a better solution.

Pretty sure you cannot adjust the range (probably determined by the remote) but there should be an option to disable it with VCDS... I have not checked however as it’s not something I intend to do.

Completely disabling would be fine. (Hope it wouldn't disable the easy-open function too.) Another option to investigate.

Spent a lot of time and could not find anything that would work, please let me know if you manage to do this!

I had this issue investigated by my local dealership. Surprise surprise nothing could be found.

I spoke with Skoda UK who logged the problem but then stated that they would require several owners to notify them of the problem before they would escalate it for review.

Obviously Skoda would not go to the expense of reissuing improved design keyfobs which do not raise the boot button above any of the other buttons but I would accept a simple solution whereby the boot only opens when the keyfob is depressed with a few meters of the vehicle, i.e. within view. There is no reason for the boot to be opened from such a great distance.

I do think that this is a security issue and as owners we shouldn't simply accept not being able to put our car key in a pocket. As I see it this makes this item not fit for purpose!

On 22/01/2017 at 20:29, pippyy2k said:

I had this issue investigated by my local dealership. Surprise surprise nothing could be found.

I spoke with Skoda UK who logged the problem but then stated that they would require several owners to notify them of the problem before they would escalate it for review.

Obviously Skoda would not go to the expense of reissuing improved design keyfobs which do not raise the boot button above any of the other buttons but I would accept a simple solution whereby the boot only opens when the keyfob is depressed with a few meters of the vehicle, i.e. within view. There is no reason for the boot to be opened from such a great distance.

I do think that this is a security issue and as owners we shouldn't simply accept not being able to put our car key in a pocket. As I see it this makes this item not fit for purpose!

What numbers would it take, I wonder. I did submit a complaint to Skoda UK via the website recently. I haven't had a response yet.

I agree with pippyy2k on the security risk the fob poses and the perspective that we have been sold something not fit for purpose.

Yes, happened to me a few times and the last time it happened my wife noticed me bending over to tie my shoe laces at the exact time it opened. It is pretty conclusive that the button got pressed while in my pocket.

I am a musician and use the car to transport equipment. It would be an expensive fault if the rear door opened at the wrong time!

I have therefore obtained one of the key covers recommended by micloi - thanks!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PVYHNQY/

This will have to do until Skoda fix the problem, if indeed they do.

• Like 1

Skoda’s managers are probably quite powerless here – on their own anyway – because these key fobs are also used by the Group’s Volkswagen and Seat brands. And then it would depend who actually makes these keys – most ‘manufacturers’ would outsource stuff like this (and often much of everything else), but VW is sometimes criticised in the financial press for not outsourcing enough.

Any improvement will probably have to await the next scheduled redesign and they’ll just soak up the complaints in the meantime.

Edited by eurotraveller

• 3 months later...

My hatch has opened randomly, often overnight. I can see that it might be connected to a sensitive key fob being pressed on accidentally, but that would not make the hatch lift up, given that I do not have the foot-waving facility on my car (or KESSY, I think, though the manual's explanations of locking, especially 'Safelock' are virtually incomprehensible. There must be some sensor which is triggered by vibration from something passing to make the hatch lift up, surely?

2 hours ago, Cjhill said:

My hatch has opened randomly, often overnight. I can see that it might be connected to a sensitive key fob being pressed on accidentally, but that would not make the hatch lift up, given that I do not have the foot-waving facility on my car (or KESSY, I think, though the manual's explanations of locking, especially 'Safelock' are virtually incomprehensible. There must be some sensor which is triggered by vibration from something passing to make the hatch lift up, surely?

You don't need to have KESSY in order for the keyfob to raise your boot lid, assuming it is the powered boot. Simply pressing and holding the boot unlock button will unlock and then open the rear hatch.

Many thanks - it has taken me six months ownership and your comment for me to realise this! That means that the key-in-pocket explanation is probably correct, and should be manageable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cjhill said:

... especially 'Safelock' are virtually incomprehensible...

Simple really. Normal locking enables the interior movement/pressure detectors and the red LED flashes continuously on the driver's door.

Safelock locks the car with those interior sensors disabled (ideal if you leave passengers or pets in the locked car). Safelock is enabled by pressing the button on the B pillar just behind the driver door, or pressing the key fob lock button twice, or, with KESSY, tapping the outer edge of the door handle twice. When Safelock is enabled the red driver's door LED does NOT flash.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BillyJim said:

Simple really. Normal locking enables the interior movement/pressure detectors and the red LED flashes continuously on the driver's door.

Safelock locks the car with those interior sensors disabled (ideal if you leave passengers or pets in the locked car). Safelock is enabled by pressing the button on the B pillar just behind the driver door, or pressing the key fob lock button twice, or, with KESSY, tapping the outer edge of the door handle twice. When Safelock is enabled the red driver's door LED does NOT flash.

I'm learning here too. I've always used the button on B pillar when leaving my dog in the car, but wasn't aware I could press the lock button twice to achieve the same thing. Cheers!

Very helpful - thanks both. I haven't a dog and would not want ever to leave a child unattended in a car, but had always assumed that pressing the lock button simply achieved the same as on my previous Saabs, ie setting the deadlocks against theft.

These electronic locks do create a certain neurosis about getting locked in oneself, but we have to trust that things default to open in the event of a crash or an electrical failure (driving into a water-filled ditch here in the Fens might be a different matter, however!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mine is going in for a check (and to pass onto skoda technical) a week Monday. I have also asked the question of who is liable if something is taken from the car.

In my case the boot opened at a range of 70 meters and with me inside a building. Bad design though as you can only close the boot with the key fob when standing within 2 meters of the car and at that distance you can press the hatch button.

Edited by jeehi

• 4 months later...

Same problem with new Kodiaq : hatch has already opened 5 or 6 times in two weeks against my will... 

Never experienced that before with VW keys in my pocket for over 10 years... 

I have ordered one of those leather key cases, but I don't find it very convenient. 

I never keep my key in my pocket now when at home - Even on my previous old Superb I I've gone out the next morning to find my boot open and all the windows down! All because buttons pushed whilst sat on my settee.