First tests of the Yeti II now online

Technology is a strange thing.

Not wishing to deviate from the topic but put me in from of a Dyson vacuum and I am totally lost. Both at how all the bits are removed, how it's switched on and more to the point how so many engineers can devise such a piece of non-ergonomic junk.

In my last job I would regularly walk to the local amenity centre and there was always a line of the upright models, all U/S. I would say 10 or more a week. That's technology...and Mr Dyson got a Knighthood for his services.

Technology is a strange thing......

You can bury you head in the sand and keep using 1800’s technology if you insist:

34g8e.jpg

Most of us however move with the times, we have long ditched the B&W CRT TV’s etc,

the electronic handbrake is another example, yes the 1st generation of them had issues, I certainly wasn’t a fan of them either, move on 10 years though and they have progressed that they really are a good safety feature, can you honestly say you have never:

rolled back slightly in stationary traffic or

not noticed the car in front has suddenly stopped for no reason when pulling away from a junction / roundabout etc or

been distracted slightly only to realise the car in front is coming to an abrupt holt?

If you can then I applaud you as you either have 100% concentration whilst you are driving (or do very few miles) most of us mere mortals however are human and yes humans do make mistakes, all of these braking aids really do make for a less stressful commute.

I was very sceptical when I ordered my Superb (with electronic handbrake and auto hold etc) but once I had given it a decent chance to prove itself (a few hours rather than a few miles) I really wouldn’t not want to go back to a mechanical handbrake as they are much more than just a parking brake now.

You can bury you head in the sand and keep using 1800’s technology if you insist:

Most of us however move with the times, we have long ditched the B&W CRT TV’s etc,

the electronic handbrake is another example, yes the 1st generation of them had issues, I certainly wasn’t a fan of them either, move on 10 years though and they have progressed that they really are a good safety feature, can you honestly say you have never:

rolled back slightly in stationary traffic or

not noticed the car in front has suddenly stopped for no reason when pulling away from a junction / roundabout etc or

been distracted slightly only to realise the car in front is coming to an abrupt holt?

If you can then I applaud you as you either have 100% concentration whilst you are driving (or do very few miles) most of us mere mortals however are human and yes humans do make mistakes, all of these braking aids really do make for a less stressful commute.

I was very sceptical when I ordered my Superb (with electronic handbrake and auto hold etc) but once I had given it a decent chance to prove itself (a few hours rather than a few miles) I really wouldn’t not want to go back to a mechanical handbrake as they are much more than just a parking brake now.

Ahhh boyo but you will not have much luck driving that Superb in the Black Forest or Dakar Rallies boyo...too many hair pin bends isnit.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Agreed... I certainly wouldn’t be taking the Superb into the forests anyway!

From my experience handbrake turns were rarely needed in the forest anyway (in a road car) what was needed and you wanted to do are 2 very different things however!

(Spent many years as either start / finish crew, marshalling or in a chase car etc)

I'me perplexed by the heated debate on the pros and cons of electronic handbrakes - would anyone really make a decision to buy a vehicle based on the handbrake? I could understand if the debate was about comfort, economy, reliability, roadholding or many other attributes - but the handbrake????????

• Like 1

I'me perplexed by the heated debate on the pros and cons of electronic handbrakes - would anyone really make a decision to buy a vehicle based on the handbrake? I could understand if the debate was about comfort, economy, reliability, roadholding or many other attributes - but the handbrake????????

Perhaps but many of those debating have never used one but they know better than those that have. So yes, it's a mass debate.

Perhaps but many of those debating have never used one but they know better than those that have. So yes, it's a mass debate.

Yes, but would you really base your decision on whether to buy a particular car on the handbrake?

Yes, but would you really base your decision on whether to buy a particular car on the handbrake?

I have to admit I'd have been dubious about this handbrake too - but that is because I do not have any experience using one. That they moved on and are "always on" is news to me and I have to admit this threat has made me far less dubious. Would I not buy a car because of this "feature"? Of course not. And this Yeti II (néé Ateca) having a modern V2.0 electronic handbrake, so sounds good to me.

As to handbrake turns: Graham you won't go rallying in a tea trolley from the 8:15 London Paddington train service, so you won't go rallying in a car with an electronic handbrake either. You would chose something fit for purpose. So that point is moot - but I realise you raised it tongue in the cheek.

Edited by 900000
  • Like 1

Interesting article.

Not impressed with the bit that says DIY changing of brake pads is a thing of the past as you'll need a laptop PC to release the calipers to change them.....  Presumably same goes for changing those rusty rear discs that people have had issues with in the past (not me thankfully!).

Edited by speedsport

Apparently the Yeti2 will not share the Ateca's dashboard (good news)

The Ateca already shares most of its dashboard with the current Leon. So no thankfully we won't see that slab sided monstrosity in the Yeti II.

Interesting article.

Not impressed with the bit that says DIY changing of brake pads is a thing of the past as you'll need a laptop PC to release the calipers to change them.....  Presumably same goes for changing those rusty rear discs that people have had issues with in the past (not me thankfully!).

Yep, chap at work who bought my '58 plate Passat off me wasn't chuffed at that - he usually does his own pads but had to get the garage to do them.

Can you do handbrake turns with these electronic handbrakes?

And before anyone asks, sometimes they are very useful to get round hairpin bends on rally stages.

I tried it on my Tiguan and it does work... However the warning buzzer is rather intrusive!

• Like 1

Never mind the electronic v manual handbrake discussion it's the manual gear box that is the anachronism here!

Who would have thought in this day and age, given all the technological advances, that we could still buy cars where you had to stir a stick to change gear ratios and have to have the skill to actually use one, including the dexterity to operate two foot pedals whilst simultaneously moving said stick, and the mental agility to know which one (gear) to use and when! In this context a mechanical handbrake is perfectly acceptable and if you have the skill to drive a manual is well within your capabilities and doesn't invoke high stress levels.

As I said, electronic handbrakes work better with and I guess were primarily designed for "automatics" and over time manual gear boxes and "normal" hand brakes will disappear. Already some manufacturers only offer some models in auto/DSG only guise and as alternative fuel technologies are increasingly introduced it will be the only choice.

For some of us older folks, driving a manual with a mech. hand brake well does provide us with a feeling of satisfaction and is part of the ownership experience. As I've said, I do embrace new tech. but think that driving in the future will be very boring (though hopefully safer and more environmentally sound) and the car will be approaching the level of other appliances.

Well, at least when I want my fix I've got my totally manual motorbikes with most of them having carburettors!

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

A few years ago I took a driving assessment offered by my insurance company somewhat similar to an advanced driving test, with the intention of reducing my premiums (Scheme since discontinued!). My assessor was an IAM examiner.

I was appalled when he told me that I was using the handbrake wrongly because each time I applied it, I pressed in the release button as I lifted the lever and only let go of the button to engage the ratchet when the brake was on, rather than just pulling up the lever clicking through all the ratchets.

I told him that I disagreed with him as my mechanical sympathy wouldn't let me let it click all the way through it's travel. He was adamant that I was wrong, which just goes to show that "experts" are not always right!

A few years ago I took a driving assessment offered by my insurance company somewhat similar to an advanced driving test, with the intention of reducing my premiums (Scheme since discontinued!). My assessor was an IAM examiner.

I was appalled when he told me that I was using the handbrake wrongly because each time I applied it, I pressed in the release button as I lifted the lever and only let go of the button to engage the ratchet when the brake was on, rather than just pulling up the lever clicking through all the ratchets.

I told him that I disagreed with him as my mechanical sympathy wouldn't let me let it click all the way through it's travel. He was adamant that I was wrong, which just goes to show that "experts" are not always right!

That's the opposite of all IAM observers I've known. They all expect the button to be pressed as you pull it up!
  • Like 2

That's the opposite of all IAM observers I've known. They all expect the button to be pressed as you pull it up!

Which is exactly what I'd have expected them to expect...   if you see what I mean!  :-)

Auto Express looks at Yeti 2 Here

Exclusive images show how next-generation Skoda Yeti will take style inspiration from Vision S Concept and SEAT Ateca - meaning they smashed the 2 designs together in MS Paint to come up with an image!!!
  • Like 1

Given that the Ateca is being built by Skoda in the Czech Republic, it's pretty obvious that the Yeti will look like a thinly disguised version of the Seat.

In fact I'd go as far as to say the Ateca is really a Skoda dressed as a Seat. The only difference is timing. The current Yeti is still selling so they're not under pressure to fill a gap in their line up like Seat are.

Auto Express looks at Yeti 2 Here

Ah I'm glad to proved 100% correct then. Ha. Yeti II is (as per the thread title) just a Seat Ateca.

• Like 1

Seat UK have published a preliminary brochure for the Ateca (no prices yet) - it can be found under the brochure section on their website - hopefully link below will work:

https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/default/files/Ateca-Brochure-Pre-Sales-21-3-16.pdf

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of choice engine wise - e.g. you can't get a 4WD petrol at all and 4WD will only be available in Xellence trim which has lots of 'extras' I would not want yet would have to pay for. The 2WD 150PS diesel SE mind you, is attracting me as a replacement for my Yeti. It is also a decent weight still for us caravanners - 1417 kg.

Edited by rkenny