which petrol skoda octavia for family is best, balance of reliability and mpg?

And with the summer temperatures we are getting nowadays, as the sun is getting higher in the sky year after year, make sure the air con cools properly if the hot temperature is likely to bother you or your family, otherwise this can be expensive.

After much searching I changed from a 2ltr 140 diesel to a 1.4 tsi. (same as you..lower miles and put off by DPFs). I really like the 1.4 (122hp). Does the same mpg as the diesel (45-55 mpg (actual) depending on how you drive). Real world performance is very similar to the old diesel..pulls well from 1500 rpm)..and the engine is so smooth and quite I keep thinking it has stopped.

This is my 3rd Octavia. I like the combination of a car that is not "too big" but is practical and has a really big boot. I have not heard about any significant engine problems with this engine (yet!). Servicing is every 9k, but it takes me a year + to do that anyway, and I normally get cars serviced once a yr. so its no big deal.....test drive one, you will be impressed.

Good to know your 1.6 FSI has been pretty reliable and that it has enough power.

Do you have to change the timing chain as part of a service interval or not?

No no replacement required.

I test drove both the golf 1.4TSI and octavia 1.4TSI when I was helping a friend of mine buy a used car.

Both had the same power, the Golf was an SE and the Octavia was an Elegance model. They were so nice and smooth to drive, quiet and both with DSG so shifting was smooth as silk.

In the end it came to his personal preference to get the Golf as he was used to his Polo. I think the 1.4TSI is an absolute winner!

If you can find the money then the TSi engines are a major step up from the old FSi engines.

The power figures don't tell the full story, it's the spread of torque that makes the tsi units feel so strong.

We've had 1.9tdi's and FSi's. We currently have two 1.2 TSi's and a 2.0tdi. The petrols have great performance for their size and only really lack the 2.0tdi's ability for high speed overtakes when loaded.

Economy wise around town the TSi is more economical than the TDi especially when cold. The TDi is only really more economical on high speed motorway work.

Whatcar and carbuyer chose the 1.2TSi as their engine of choice. I'd agree but would add if you tend to load up the estate and carry three or four passengers often then upgrading to the 1.4 is probably worth it.

1.2TSi Review.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

If you are going diesel and looking to avoid a DPF be sure to take a look at the sticker on the boot floor, this gives all the engine, drivetrain, trim, and options. The important codes to look for are 0GG or 7GG.

0GG = No DPF

7GG = DPF fitted.

There is the DPF delete option but how much longer folk will be able to get away with this I don't know.

When I decided to go for Diesel I made a decision to avoid DPFs and I'm glad I did.

At the time time unsurprisingly Skoda dealers were mystified by this preference  - Could not understand why anyone wouldn't want something as lovely as a DPF. When pushed they would admit to a minute number of issues with them, however poor driving was to blame in all cases- Believe that if you like.

There is still that other 3 letter acronym waiting to catch you out. If you are not already well aware of DMF issues with Skodas it could be worth doing some research. Be aware that there are 2 distinct camps regarding DMF's on this forum and agreeing to differ is about as close as they will ever come.

I wouldn't touch a non-turbo petrol with a barge pole.  Too gutless, too heavy on fuel.

if you go pre-FL 1.8tsi with the BZB block it (gen 1 = no timing chain issues), you should be OK.

The suspension can tend to be a bit plush for some but a set of Koni Sports dampers with the factory springs works really well.  Also 17" rims with 225/45r17 tyres is a good compromise between ride & handling.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

A quick update. I saw a couple of skoda octavia's and bought a 1.6FSi Laurin & Klement estate.

I liked it, nice interior, good selection of toys and smooth ride but not as quick as my old Alfa but decent enough.

I hope to have some good reliability, fingers crossed ;)

• Like 2