312mm brakes - Pictorial

Tech1e

As the last thread seems to have dissapeared I have reconstructed the 312mm guide. Please feel free to make any comments if the guide isnt detailed enough and I will amend. As allways with anything mechanical on your car least of all brakes you are unsure about what you are doing get a profesional on the job.

The tooling required

12mm, 17mm and 18mm sockets

Breaker bar

Impact driver

Hammer

7mm allen key

Brake bleeder (Gunsons EZ bleed is perfect)

11mm spanner

The standard, rather tiny looking 288mm Fabia vRS front set up (the same as the SEAT Ibiza 130 Sport/FR)

60b20862.jpg

Here is a comparrison between the std 288mm brakes and the 312mm and its clear why you cant just use the carriers on the old calipers.

05112d10.jpg

Right back on with the job, remove the brake disc retaining screw and persuade the disc off with the correct toolage. Slacken off the 11mm bolt on the fluid line and nip it back up, this will make it eaiser to remove when the caliper isnt mounted to something solid. Remove the two 18mm carrier bolts and remove the entire caliper/carrier assembley. At this point leave the fluid line connected.

89784bb3.jpg

Now clean any rust up from the hub face and fit the new 312mm brake discs, instantly looking more manly.

eae4eea8.jpg

Next job is to fit the carrier back onto the hub with the 18mm bolts

cf76704b.jpg

Now fit the pads into the caplier and carrier and attatch the caliper to the carrier with the two 7mm allen key key sliders, also fit the anti rattle spring to the outside.

bafd69e0.jpg

The fluid line can now be disconnected from the old redundant caliper and connected upto the new one. On this car I used the standard line, this does work fine. You can use the S3/TT line if required, it does give you a little more slack but is not required.

04687558.jpg

Bleeding the hydraulic system is now required, for this i'd recommend a pressure bleeder as it saves potential damage to the master cylinder and can make this a one man job.

Repeat for the other side, fit the wheel back on (tighten bolts to 120 Nm) and sit back and marvel at the glory of your new brakes

ed498b2f.jpg

Now go steady for a few hundred miles, they may feel a bit odd until they are bedded in. The brake pedal may feel a little spongy until the pads have settled but it should be quite firm before to long.

As allways usual disclaimers, I accept no responsability for anyone following this 'guide' who may fit the brakes incorrectly. If your not sure then dont do it.

Also note worthy is the Fabia II front brakes are unchanged, The vRS uses 288mm brakes which are ATE. However they are not compatable with the 312mm set up, the calipers have a different profile and pad as I found out. But a complete 312mm set up will bolt up the same, as I have done on my Bocanegra

cdf35fe1.jpg

Regards

Ross

• Like 4

I'd also recommend something for the painting process:

This assumes you've bought a full kit from say golfturbo

* Remove the hoses from the brakes

* Unclip the clips and remove the brake pads, and separate the carrier and calipers

* use the 3 day or 1 week masking tape to mask off the rubber

* There are a couple of small holes in the carrier & calipers, respectively. I used some strong nylon IIRC rope that I fed through those holes. Looped & knotted that so you have a loop through the two holes, with enough length to hang up on a nail (make sure you use a sufficiently long nail to hold the weight). In my case I hung it across a pipe I have running in my loft (horizontally).

* Using hammerite cleaner I liberally cleaned off the metal. I did this after cleaning off the brake fluid leaking out a bit. To apply it I just used a small brush, bought for the job as I couldnt be bothered to clean it :P This dripped a fair bit so I'd highly recommend some plastic sheeting (bin bag or something works well)

* The cleaner is pretty nasty stuff apparently so use a well-vented area (in my case the loft).

* Left it to dry up overnight, I'm sure you won't have to wait that long though.

* Using hammerite smooth green I then brushed the thing green, attempting to avoid the rubber and of course the location where the hoses attach.

* Leave to dry for 24 hours or thereabouts. Repeat the painting part if you like. It will probably last a bit longer then (I only did one coat though, as it looked good enough).

Annoyingly I forgot to take pics of this but it's not hard to imagine when you have the pics in Ross' guide above

• 1 month later...

lummox , just a thought , would it not be a good idea to just undo the fluid hose whilst the caliper is still secure to the bracket and then nip it up so no fluid leaks , just might make it a bit easier when swapping the pipe across to the new caliper instead of possibly straining the pipe undoing a tight union bolt ,good guide though and the zimmerman discs i saw on fluffmeisters VRS looked superb , i'm seriously considering fitting some

the zimmerman discs i saw on fluffmeisters VRS looked superb , i'm seriously considering fitting some

I'll be sure to post pics of those same Zimmermans fitted to mine later this week, just to tempt you even further ;)

• Like 1

FAO Fluffmeister

****Please note bleed nipple goes to the top****

;)

Ric' date=' good idea.[/quote']

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fitting 312's, no problem, refitting standards I must admit a little muppetry was involved :o

• 1 month later...

if i put the 312mm brakes from vrs octy the abs will work properly?like before??

does anybody have some experience with this brakes??how much are they??

thakns a lot for some hepl

Yes, loads of people have fitted these now. Do a search and you'll find lots of positive experiences on the fourm.

See GolfTurbo's thread in 'For Sale' for details of prices.

Steve

great guide....

ross, you're a star....

does anyone know who does braided hoses for VRS ? & any thoughts what can be done to upgrade the rear brakes? is there a easy VW parts upgrade like with the fronts.......I'm hoping :)

g.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...