Skip to content

Alasdair1

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alasdair1

  1. From memory they produce a million a week and are fitted to 1 in 5 cars OE world wide. Alasdair
  2. KYB (Kayaba) are manufacturers of shocks and springs. I usually deal with parts in motion autofactors online as their prices seem very good. I have been using KYB for years an no problems so far. Alasdair
  3. Had a quick look on KYB cat as I was looking anyway for my old Seat and checked parts in motion website for price/availabilty Not exactly sure what model of yeti you have but seems to be two front springs depending on model KYB 334834 front shock £99.21 per pair KYB 910004 bump stop £15 each KYB SM1714 top mount £16 each KYB RA3364 spring £35 each or KYB RH2957 £30 each (not sure on what model yeti you have I would check with reg etc on the above as I may be wrong. If the shocks are just misting the chances are that they will still be misting next MOT. My octavia had advise of misting for 3 years until one finally went. As for the drains if there on your property a couple of cans of expanding hilti foam may help the situation. Alasdair
  4. Oily underside on a 16 year old car is fairly normal as long as its not losing a lot of oil I wouldnt worry. My old octavia had a very minor leak but I just left it as it wasnt losing much plus couldnt work out where it was coming from. If its at base of gearbox/bell housing it may be clutch fluid from a leaking slave cylinder. Check the brake/clutch reservoir in case its dropping. Glad you got it started and its been fine since. Alasdair
  5. I know I hate using them. I have another twin set that I use in conjunction with them but still scary even with 5 . Have managed to do quite a few over the years but worse was old toyota people carrier that weighed about 2 ton so front springs were massive. I just take my time and make sure each one is tightened slowly and equally and I do them outside making sure I am as far away from them as possible. If I am fitting new shocks and springs I quite often throw a few quid to local garage and get them to assemble them. Alasdair
  6. Might be worth changing as there not that expensive. Read another sensor could be the air intake temp sensor. If its failing/bad connection ecu can overfuel. Dont suppose there are any fault codes? Alasdair
  7. Hopefully its just a leaking hose/union Check the waterpump/thermostat for signs of leaking. Think the waterpump is behind timing etc. Alasdair
  8. It may have wiring in wingmirror for indicator although not fitted thats broken/disconnected? Alasdair
  9. Maybe bad coolant sensor/wiring. It can send wrong signal to ecu and cause poor starting when warm. Is the temp guage reading ok. Alasdair
  10. Hope not as quick google and acccording to AI theres over 2.5 million of EA211 outhere. No wonder they dont want a recall. It would take years and cost a fortune Alasdair
  11. Read that the recall in states didnt cover fabia as they dont sell them there. Its the usual problem. I reckon car manufacturers work out the cost of recall and the cost to them in legal cases and choose the lowest. Probably why recall in the states and not uk as they seem more prone to sue for a lot more money. Either way its a serious defect and should be recalled and fixed for free. Alasdair
  12. I can confirm. Had old volvo with small pin hole in fuel return. Stink of petrol was awful. Had car running to see where leak was and woosh small fireball. Pin hole was hitting manifold. Lucky was on the return and only enough to cause flash fire and had co2 extinguisher handy although eye brows took a while to recover. Any petrol leak is in my opinion very serious as vapours tend to build up especially when car is sitting. Also an immediate MOT fail and immediate prohibiton from driving. Read the Mk2 was recalled for fuel leak but havent seen any for the mk3 Alasdair
  13. I agree even the branded ones were poor . First line etc bushes used to last about 6 months if you were lucky and anything rubber perished real quick. Local garage used to say fine for an MOT if your selling it afterwards. When it comes to older vehicles. Decent manufacturers stopped making parts probably as they weren't selling enough so unless you got new old stock you were getting c**p made in india or china. Saying that the quality seems to be improving with aftermarket parts or maybe I have been lucky
  14. I wouldnt use second hand flexi etc but have been using second hand calipers/abs units etc for years. They can fail yes but so can any original ones fitted. I always fit new brake master cylinders and as for flexi hoses for all the cost its cheaper to replace them instead of paying £80/hour or more for someone to remove them and check them and then tell you they need replaced anyway. Last pair I bought cost £30 Alasdair
  15. I have been using KYB shocks and springs for years and they seem to last well. I would replace top mounts while your at it and bump stops etc as well. Its not my favourite job at all. As for spring compressors I have a triple set but also add another two just in case. My local garage used to do them for a tenner each(cash) they have a hydraulic compressor that takes minutes. The spring compressors I have a locking mechanism so they cant come off Think mine were made by Laser. Alasdair
  16. Have read its a fairly common fault hence why they have a repair kit on the shelf. Cant see it being classed as wear and tear (more of a manufacturing defect) but maybe check with garage that gave you warranty first as if its fixed by someone else they may say warranty invalid. Years ago had a radiator fail 2 days after buying car and had to be fixed elsewhere as we were away from home. When I tried to claim from garage they said that unless they did the repair they werent liabel. Alasdair
  17. Recon at that price definitly worth buying. Thats a very nice looking car. My son would love it but alas at 19 the insurance may be a tad high for him and if I get another car I would be in big trouble. Alasdair
  18. I know its an older car but I fitted my own on a Seat 09 plate and used a smart bypass relay to avoid having to tell car there was a tow bar fitted mainly to stop the bulb failure warning etc. Had to run a live feed from battery with 15amp fuse . went for a towtrust tow bar (very good quality) and smart relay. I went for a heavy duty fixed one. Price to me all in was around £180 and fitted it myself plus some cable and socket. Got it from https://www.towbars-uk.co.uk/ Alasdair
  19. The garage will have looked at flexi hoses for perishing and leaks/kinks but as far as I know there is no way of checking if internal is slightly blocked apart from replacing. Get them to check also any metal brake lines that may have been damaged by something hitting them on the road . Folks put there old car off the road in winter and had to be winched out. I checked underneath once they got it home and one of the front metal pipes was slightly dented which caused slight uneven braking. It doesnt take much to cause an imbalance. Alasdair
  20. I would change the front flexi hoses first. Its not unknown for them to collapse internally especially if someone has used a brake hose clamp at some time. It will cause brake fluid restriction as there could be an internal bulge. Fairly cheap and easy to do. If it doesn't improve then take it further. Maybe second hand abs/hydraulic unit Alasdair
  21. It depends if its been changed previously and if they used a decent quality belt. My octavia mk2 had been done at 50k (not by dealer) but I did it again myself when I bought it at 90k to be on the safe side. The belt that had been fitted wasnt one I had heard of (Stark?) and didn't look very good with slight cracking. I replaced with gates kit and still do mine around every 60k or 6 years. The original belt according to skoda should be fine but as said 140k I think is pushing it . Check the service history to make sure it hasnt been changed already. Alasdair
  22. Check the previous MOT for corosion underneath and anything else that its failed on. Can be a good way to see if car has been looked after. I reckon at that price its worth it. Have bought two Octavia over the years for around that price with decent service history and had no problems apart from corosion on sills,wheel arches and underneath. I'm in north scotland so salt is a car killer. They have both been mechanicaly great. One was the 1.9tdi pre fl and newest is 1.6tdi MK2 post fl Factor in a timing belt change etc if its not already been done. Alasdair
  23. Have the same on my old one although just one thats failed but came accross this https://www.briskoda.net/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=90536 Pretty detailed guide on how to plus think LED parts are listed. Alasdair
  24. Maybe try another trailer if possible with standard bulbs to see if it makes a difference. If it is it might be possible to tell ecu etc that its LED for towing as yours is a MK3.
  25. Not fabia but octavia with 1.6tdi cayc (103bhp) engine. I get 40plus around town and 50-55 on long runs. Used to get a lot more on my old 1.9tdi. I would have thought you should get more from the fabia as its lighter but may depend on what engine you have power wise or if its one of the engines that had the skoda emission fix which can reduce MPG? I would change airfilter to see if it makes any difference. Not sure how to tell if its had the fix. Think it was a software update and a change in intake. Someone on here will know. Alasdair

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.