Skip to content

Alasdair1

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alasdair1

  1. If the oil level is upto your finger thats very high. Its either been overfilled by a lot or something is raising the level. If it was water it would be emulsified so wonder if diesels getting in somewhere which would make oil very thin and explain the run on. It is the correct dip stick? Alasdair
  2. On my Mk2 there are two options. One with three bolt fixing and four bolts fixing. I used APEC and two years in no problem. Alasdair
  3. Probably come from somewhere near the sea. As said check earth straps especially near starter and also cables to starter. It could be the starter thats failing. Had one in an old van that started to crank slowly and half the coils had burnt out so only half power. The flashing glowplug may be down to a few things. Could be low battery/good battery with bad earth also check your brake lights are working as well. Found this when I was working on my sons MK1 so may be the same. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2Sm3QJJNRZo
  4. I reckon that for £1600 these days for an aproved full electric towbar isnt bad at all especially as its aproved one and fitted by a dealer. I suppose it depends how often you would use it. If once in a while go detacheable .Mines are all fixed as I use them all the time. Alasdair
  5. My local skoda dealer used to use a local trailer/towbar company to fit their towbars. My folks saved a fair bit of money by bypassing the dealer and going direct to them Alasdair
  6. Hopefully its just the engine mounts. Sons mk1 fabia is a 2006 and his dogbone link was fine when I did the clutch. Reckon you could raise engine enough with block of wood to distribute the load on sump and do each side seperately. Alasdair
  7. When my old volvo turbo blew up I just bought a fairly cheap second hand one and it was fine for years. I may have been lucky. Few on ebay but reckon might be tricky getting a decent one. Might be worth contacting some breakers to see if they have anything thats guaranteed working/low mileage etc. A recore job is possible but has to be done properly and everything accurately balanced etc to avoid early failure. You could see if you could maybe get a recon echange unit. Alasdair
  8. When I said not to bad to change I meant the engine mounts. Think the bushes in dog bone are more difficult although I have seen polybush repair kits for them. I think there is an insert to save removing old bushes in chassis etc. looks like this Alasdair
  9. Im used to diesels and old old pertrol/lpg with distributors etc. The double spark confused me first but found out about wasted spark systems but to me something doesnt look right. As said may be wrong Alasdair
  10. I assume the two plugs sparking at same time is a wasted spark system I may be wrong but firing order is I think 1,3,4,2 as in your vid of the injectors fuel pattern but it doesnt seem to match sparking pattern. Seems to spark 5 times on 2,3 and then 5 times on 1,4 Alasdair
  11. I agree that mount has had it and due to the movement I reckon the other side should be replaced at same time. On my Mk1 theres a dogbone (gearbox to chassis). I would have that checked as well. If replacing it there are two bolts but one is shorter and goes into crossmember with steering rack. I you get them mixed up it can destroy rack. From memory there not too bad to change. Alasdair
  12. You learn something new on here every day. For once they actually removed an antipolution device. Normally they add more as in dpf/gpf etc. and make the cars more complicated and less reliable/more to go wrong. If only they would remove the dpf and egr on diesels my cars would be a lot happier. Alasdair
  13. I assumed all newer petrols had them as when I was looking for a purge valve for my sons mk1 1.2 and egr valves came up which surprised me also. (although that was autodoc so maybe only fitted in europe?) Going to have to look tomorrow when its light and warmer
  14. I read that they have an egr valve and have seen some for sale but as its petrol will not be so bad at gunging up like diesels do. I may be wrong but worth checking. You could always put a bottle of cleaner in from time to time or the odd tank of superunleaded once in a while as it has more added cleaners. Alasdair
  15. Not sure but definitly go for petrol not Diesel. My old 1.6tdi is struggling these days as I stopped long runs and now have to take it out about once a week for a good blast down the dual carriage way to get it to regen. Had an old volvo petrol that was fine for 3-5 mile trips for years but engine oil tended to get a bit emulsified after a while due to it never reaching full temp especially in winter. You could always as I do take it out for a longer run every week and as said a good blast down the dual carriageway wouldnt do any harm. I think that engine may have a GPF so may need a longer run to keep it clean and the same goes for the EGR. Alasdair
  16. I use NGK in everything from strimmer/chainsaws to cars without any problems and have been using them for years. NGK have a plug finder https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/catalogues/cars/search/spark-plugs/ I personally avoid others especially unknown brands. Alasdair
  17. I would be inclined to get it scanned to see what if anything major caused it. It should have stored a code. On my older diesels limp mode seems to just reduce power to engine and limits revs. Engine sounds and runs ok but if you go any higher than 2nd gear it doesnt have the power as they seem to be limited to about 1800rpm. Same in my sons petrol fabia. Too me a long time to get home the last time. The shaking of the engine could be a number of things so get it scannned. Alasdair
  18. It may be the connector at rear of cluster thats needing cleaned or reseated. My old octavia had weird dash problems with random lights and guages not performing well. I removed cleaned and reseated and it came back to life. Check the cluster for dry solder joints while you have it removed and remember to disconnect battery before removal as imobilser can stick on. Alasdair
  19. I agree plus I wait for at least 30min before touching them. Mate was very lucky he wasnt hurt when trying to remove one in his steering wheel. He was under dash at the time but if had been in seat would have been a different outcome. Alasdair
  20. Did read that some aftermarket ABS sensors can be very slightly too long. Hope you have a box of use once hub nuts and get it sorted. Alasdair
  21. Meant to add you could try turning airbag off via the switch in glovebox if the MK1 has one. Mine is off on the MK2 and passed MOT ok. Alasdair
  22. Think the wiring for passenger airbag is behind glovebox. Yellow if I remember. The connectors are usually good but check the wiring there. You could try and reset and see as sometimes its a random blip. Alasdair
  23. Remembered the company I got mine from. They may be able to help. eBayItems for sale by everyexhaustpartlimited | eBayShop eBay for great deals from everyexhaustpartlimited!
  24. On the MK1 the cat and front pipe/flexi are seperate but you need a repair flexi with a slight angle at one end not straight. I did a vw FOX which may be similar to yours but the flexi is part of the cat with not enough pipe to clamp a repair to once old old one was cut off so needed welded unless you replace cat and flexi. Alasdair
  25. When I use those strip connectors I have started to cover in silicone sealant, let set and then self amalgamating tape. Have been finding that some are copper plated steel and tend to rust pretty quickly. Glad you got it sorted Alasdair

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.