Everything posted by CJJE
-
Bridgestone Turanza All Season 6s on a 2021 2.0TSI
Good points, and mine have certainly been delivered with the anticipated 8 mm of tread depth. Chris
-
Bridgestone Turanza All Season 6s on a 2021 2.0TSI
Holding a straight edge against the sidewalls leaves a clearance of a few millimetres to the diamond cut edges of my Vegas - so probably less protection than the Turanzas give. Still very new so can't comment yet on the grip, and as KwikFit had inflated them to 2.8 bar (now checked and reduced to 2.5 bar) I'll leave comments on their comfort for a while. But initially seem a bit quieter that the Duelers. Chris
-
Bridgestone Turanza All Season 6s on a 2021 2.0TSI
There are some good deals on new tyres until the end of August so I've taken the plunge and am replacing the Duelers on my 2.0TSI Sportline. I've just done 20,000 miles in 3 3/4 years, and although the tread depth over most of the tyres is still 4.0 mm, the outside edges have worn away. This could be due to potholes affecting the tracking, but it seems pretty similar across all 4 wheels, so I suspect it's down to me being too heavy footed when cornering. No doubt the free wheel alignment check I'll get with my new tyres will show whether the wheels need realigning, but I'm not sure I trust the tyre fitters to do it properly! I'm also a fan of all season tyres, and note that the Bridgestone Turanza 6 All Seasons and Continental AllSeasonContact 2s both come in 225/45 R19 sizes now (the standard factory size for my Sportline.) Both have rave reviews and are reckoned to be better than the old favourite Michelin CrossClimate 2s. Having studied the details for them both and compared prices, I've decided to buy the new Continentals. The Bridgestones seem to be slightly better in dry braking, but the Continentals are said to have a better tread depth when new - hence a longer life, and be quieter. They are also reported to have good rim protection. More updates when I've got them fitted. Chris
-
Closure of Škoda Connect LITE Services
They want you to use the paid Skoda Connect system instead. But neither of these will interrogate engine faults on the OBD port. You'll need something like OBDeleven for that. Chris
-
57nl campaign?
There was a thread on this forum complaining about delays to the handover of new Karoqs because the dealers were waiting for a software update to them. This could be the update your car has received. Chris
-
Karoq 2020 vs 2022
One of the problems with the newer cars is that the assist systems are more difficult to turn off! On my car for instance, I can set the lane assist off, and it will stay off. Newer cars will turn it on each time you start the ignition, forcing you to turn it off manually if you don't like it. My daughter has an Octavia with the newer predictive cruise control which she finds annoying as it keeps reminding her to slow down for an approaching roundabout even when its turned off. My MY21 car has adaptive cruise control (which I seldom use) and doesn't do this. The newer car may have updated software, and the body may be in better condition. Will it have a better warranty with more of the original factory warranty valid? I never buy cars with PCP so can't comment on that, but the dealer should be able to tell you how the two deals compare. Chris
-
Karoq Performance Package
No, in Individual mode you can just set the DCC to Sport, Normal or Comfort. I have the Individual mode set up to use Economy performance and Comfort DCC, as the standard modes only allow Economy or Comfort. Chris
-
Karoq roof cross bars
What make of roof bars, and presumably the old Kodiaq? My go-to website for Thule roofbars suggest 118 cm roof bars for an old Kodiak, but 127 cm bars for a Karoq. On that basis they're likely to be too short but to use the same mounting kit. Chris
-
Karoq Performance Package
I added Progressive Steering and Dynamic Chassis Control to my MY21 Sportline, which seems to be the equivalent to the current performance pack. The progressive steering affects the linkage between the steering wheel and the front wheels, so that it is reasonably direct when driving at speed, but turns the wheels faster when approaching full lock. The DCC on mine certainly gives you extra damper settings, letting you choose between Sport, Normal or Comfort. I opted for this because of all the complaints about the 19 inch wheels affecting the comfort, and you certainly get more of a floating - almost under-damped - sensation in Comfort mode. It's great for wafting along a well-surfaced motorway, but not so good on windy back roads. Chris
-
Sending routes to the Karoq
I've used it myself, but it only sends the destination to the car - after a delay, and sometimes the Skoda servers lose it. When you turn the ignition on, you get a message saying the car has received the destination, and then choose to navigate to it, save it or discard it. I think the promise of being able to send the complete route to the car is still in development. And with VAG having moved on to MIB4, it may well never get delivered! Chris
-
2024 Karoq recall?
Thanks Berisford... I was reading the reference as 3 threads lower in the Karoq section! Chris
-
2024 Karoq recall?
Can't find the thread Berisford is referring to, and there are no recalls listed on the DVLA or other recall sites. However, new regulations mean that all new cars sold from 7th July are supposed to have the dreaded speed limit assist system activated even if it wasn't done in the factory. Could this be the delay? Chris
-
Karoq sun roof - blind positioning
I think you can tilt the sunroof up with the blind nearly closed. And I'd suggest the reasoning is that if the sunroof is wide open with the blind closed it could be damaged if you were driving at speed? Chris
-
Karoq - Fitting Mud Flaps Instructions
I added them to mine back in November 2020 (soon after getting my Karoq) and can report that they're still firmly mounted and there's no sign of any damage to the body or paintwork. They're more fashion accessories than the long flappy off-road style, but look good on the car (IMO) and seem to keep the car a bit cleaner. Chris
-
Karoq revised specs April 2024
Confusingly the press release calls this the 2024MY Karoq! Previously model years changed around September, so MY2024 would have started production in September 2023, with the 10th character in the VIN code changing to a Q. But I see that the 2.0 TDI engine IS still available and the configurator has been updated to show this. Chris
-
Considering a Karoq 2.0L TSI Sportline
The previous post I was thinking about is here: Chris
-
Considering a Karoq 2.0L TSI Sportline
1) My MY21 2.0TSI 4x4 Sportline came with 225/45 R19 Bridgestone Dueler tyres. I haven't had any problem with these tyres but I did add the Dynamic Suspension option to cover off any harshness. I'll be switching to All-Seasons probably within a year, and ideally will be looking to buy either the new Bridgestone Turanza AS 6 or Continental AllSeason Contact 2s. Neither of these are yet offered as 225/45 R19s, but another forum member has fitted 245/40 R19s successfully and to my mind these are a better option than buying the previous generation Bridgestones, Continentals or Goodyears. The Michelin CrossClimate 2 SUV is also available as 225/45 R19, but majors on snow performance rather than cold wet performance - and so is not my preferred option in the West Midlands. The tyres sizes varied a bit over the years, but for MY21, the 225/45 R19s were fitted to 4x4 cars fitted with the 2.0TSI and 2.0TDI engines. The 225/40 R19s that attract so much abuse were fitted to FWD cars with the 1.0TSI, 1.5TSI, 1.6TDI and 2.0TDI engines. 2) I added the Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Lane Assist options to my factory order, but both have their moments. On my MY21 car I can at least switch the lane assist off and it stays off - having tried it for many months I've now decided I don't like it interfering with the steering unless I'm driving in a strong side wind. And the Traffic Sign indicator in my digital instrument panel is a useful reminder of the last speed limit I passed - but it can be confused by missing/hidden signs, signs that relate to roads leaving at a junction... and weirdly once in a while it will display the metric equivalent of the speed limit (80 instead of 50 say). 3) I don't have a towbar on my car. 4) The MIB3 Amundsen fitted from MY21 on updates its maps whenever necessary and without any indication (as long as you pay the annual Skoda Connect charge!) Mine is now showing the map was updated last month. Over 3.5 years and 17,000 miles I've averaged 35 mpg brim to brim. But cruising at 70 on long motorway journeys can deliver 40 or so mpg. I don't notice the Haldex kicking in to power the rear wheels, but interestingly my tyre wear is far more even than I'm used to from FWD cars. I've just rotated the wheels front to back for the first time, and measured the remaining tread as 4.0mm at the front and 4.5mm at the rear. Chris
-
Windscreen Wiper Oddity
Agreed, it's a good move. On one of my previous Golfs, if the wipers were left set to intermittent and it was frosty or snowy overnight the motor would strain to move the stuck wiper blades. Chris
-
Updated Karoq Specs - April 2024
The sunroof is standard on the Sportline, so not shown as an option. And I agree that when I had Park Assist on previous cars I only used it to show it off. But the Area View on my present Karoq is invaluable. The main problem is that Skoda have lumped options together into packages rather than let you choose individual items. So you have to buy unwanted items like heated rear seats to get the bits you do want. Chris
-
Updated Karoq Specs - April 2024
Skoda UK have pulled the Karoq, Kodiaq and Octavia brochures from their website - hopefully just to update them - but according to the configurator: - there are no diesel cars being offered now, - Race Blue metallic paint returns as an option for the Sportline, - a new Parking Package Plus option is offered for the Sportline providing Park Assist and the return of the Area View camera. So the new Karoq finally matches the options I had fitted to my 3 year old Karoq, as well as offering Matrix lights etc. Shame it now attracts the DVLA 'Luxury Car' tax rates though 😞 Chris
-
Skoda Epiq & Elroq
With the atrocious depreciation rates for EVs, and insurance worries over the tendency to write them off rather than repair them, I don't see them as viable for private buyers yet. Business and fleet users get tax incentives to switch, but even they are getting cold feet I understand. But at least cars developed to meet the 2026 Safety Standards will have physical controls rather than touch screens. Chris
-
20% Off Skoda Service Plans until 2nd April
Fair point, but my car is just over 3 years old and has only done 17,500 miles. As I bought it with a 5 year factory warranty, the All-In-One option is needlessly expensive for me. However as I understand the spark plugs are changed at the 4 year service and cost £120, the Service Plan Plus looks attractive this time. I was paying £15.20 per month for the basic Service Plan when I bought it in April 2022, so the discounted price increase is pretty reasonable - especially compared with full price product Skoda were encouraging me to buy a couple of weeks ago. Chris
-
20% Off Skoda Service Plans until 2nd April
Well spotted! I bought one two years ago at the discounted price, and have just been badgered to renew it (but at the full price). Now I can buy it at the discounted price again One of the weird things about it is that they send you a paper invoice each month just before activating the DD payment. It seems completely pointless and just increases their admin costs!! Chris
-
Bridgestone Turanza All Season 6s on a 2021 2.0TSI
Comparative tyre tests agree that the new Bridgestone Turanza All Season 6s are better suited to English (ie southern UK) weather than the esteemed Michelin CrossClimate 2s which have sacrificed wet weather performance for snow performance. The new Continental AllSeason Contact 2s fall somewhat between these 2, but also aren't offered as 225/45 R19s yet. I'll probably be choosing these too by this autumn when my present Duelers should be down to 3mm. To be honest I've found them pretty good, with my only embarrassing moment coming last month when I was parked on sodden grass and found that an attempt to drive up a 5% slope left me with all 4 wheels spinning happily! Chris
-
Boot organisers / dividers
Mine came with the netting system, which captures items along the side and back of the boot, as well as some right-angled velcro things that grip the boot floor and stop items sliding around. The accessory brochure also shows this, but I don't know how expensive it is.