Everything posted by CJJE
-
Amundsen radio station logos
Right... VAG changed over to MIB3 systems around 2020, and ditched the SD card ports. Now I think their fitting MIB4 systems so it's all changed again. But their software division is firing staff so perhaps they'll be going down the Google route soon like other companies.
-
Amundsen radio station logos
I hadn't heard that the SEAT and VW MIB3 systems would let you import logos...I wonder how they do that with what is supposed to be the same electronics? Chris
-
Amundsen radio station logos
I complained about this soon after getting my Karoq. But there is no way to import the logos into a MIB3 infotainment system, and the file provided by Skoda has many mainstream channels missing while it includes lots of very niche stations! The reply I got from Technical Support was that the missing logos were from stations that wanted a payment for them to be included... but if this is true it seems odd that you could add them to older systems. Chris
-
How to stop Amundsen changing map scale
On mine, if you adjust the map scale using the right hand roller it stays at that setting. To get it to adjust automatically, I have to press the roller in after adjusting it. (But I use the map display in the centre of the digital instrument panel... it might be different if you're using the main infotainment screen.) Chris
-
vRS TSI Engine Cover
I suspect the change was to reduce costs by having a standard part that could be used across a wide range of VAG cars. And I think it was the new one that generated the safety recall by becoming detached and overheating at the back of the engine (but the Karoq was exempt from the recall for some reason.) I've a suspicion that the recall just removed the engine cover completely rather than change the mounting catches, and current cars may not have one fitted at all. Chris
-
The Agency Sales Model
Skoda UK have now confirmed that they are also moving to the 'Agency Sales' model where buyers of new cars deal with Skoda UK rather than a dealer (albeit only for electric cars for now). I don't know about you, but I'm highly suspicious of this idea. For the last 20 odd years, I've bought new VW or Skoda cars as factory orders, built to my exact requirements and purchased as cash deals plus P/X, financed by either a personal loan or from savings. This has given me the car I want, with the flexibility to keep it as long as I want as it's not tied to an H/P or lease deal. I've also negotiated an average 8% discount on list prices with the dealer. Will I be able to negotiate similar discounts from Skoda UK? I doubt it. Will they reduce list prices by 8%? Again I doubt it. I realise that I'm not a typical buyer as most private sales seem to be financed by 3 year lease agreements, but the general move by car importers to take dealers out of the sales loop seems to be aimed at protecting their profit margins and preventing private buyers like me from negotiating good deals. (Fleet buyers of course will still get big discounts from the importers.) But will discounters like CarWow etc still be able to provide factory orders at discounts? With the already exorbitant cost of electric cars now protected from dealer discounts, I think I'll be sticking to petrol cars for any future purchases! Chris
-
Boot options
I believe it needs different mouldings on the side of the boot to hold the floor in the two positions, so probably not a cheap option! However the German Karoq forum has several threads describing how you can make a wooden frame around the sides of the boot to hold the floor in a higher position. (The translate feature in MS Edge does a good job of turning the threads into English for you.) See www/karoqforum.de. (For some reason Briskoda won't let me copy the exact thread in here!!) Chris
-
Karoq Wing Mirror - Škoda Official Capacity?
I can see the need to wash the spiders out, but if you park on a slope the water drains out before you fold the mirrors back in! 😀
-
USB C, wireless charging, wireless Android Auto
If you have the USB-C ports then you have the MIB3 infotainment system. My MY21 Sportline (registered November 2020) has wireless Bluetooth for my Android phones, (old Galaxy S8 and new Galaxy S23) although I don't use Android Auto itself. Chris
-
USB C, wireless charging, Android Auto
My MY21 Sportline with wireless charging and the USB-C ports has a wireless Bluetooth connection to the car for my Android phone (both my previous Galaxy S8 and my present Galaxy S23.) This gives me hand-free phone calls, and access to music files. I don't use Android Auto, but the car offers to set it up if I look at the Apps menu, so I presume it would work too. Chris
-
Spark Plugs - 1.5TSI Karoq
Since returning to petrol cars after years of diesels, I'm amazed at the life of modern spark plugs. Back in the 80's I'm sure I remember having to gap and clean them every 5,000 miles, and change them every 10,00 miles! Chris
-
Carrying 2 Bicycles - Towbar/roof
Carrying two bikes on a towbar carrier is far better from a fuel economy point of view, and also seems less noisy. I carried two bikes that way on holidays all over France very successfully - except when an impatient Italian driver nudged a bike wheel trying to push onto a ferry, and I had to get it straightened when I got home. I already had the towbar on that car to tow a dinghy. Bikes on a roof rack are noisier and hit your fuel consumption at higher speeds - and are also a pain to lift up and down! But I did it for years when I changed cars and no longer needed a towbar for my dinghy. I would not trust a bike rack fixed to the hatch, and think that they are officially discouraged due to the risk of damaging the plastic wing on the top of it. Chris
-
Windscreen replacement. Complete nightmare
20230913_182448.heic What a horror story! Mine is a heated windscreen (plasma type not wired) and is marked VW AG // SISECAM AUTOMOTIVE DOT511 M2384 AS1 E17 43R - 010682 CCC E000621 . Chris
-
Infotainment Applications Update failure...
No, I've got an Amundsen too. Chris
-
Infotainment Applications Update failure...
I have received several updates to my Karoq over the last few weeks, all of which seem to have installed themselves OK, and some even asking me to lock the car for a few seconds to complete the install. So perhaps yours are also being installed and it's just the repeated requests that are leading you to think that it's the same one not being installed. Chris
-
Control Centre
You have to swipe down at the top centre of the screen. Chris
-
Auto rear wipe - interval adjustment?
I hadn't noticed that... but I have had mine on the auto setting for most of its life! Chris
-
Auto rear wipe - interval adjustment?
As far as I know the only option is to turn the rear wiper on automatically when the front wipers are working continuously, or to leave it under manual control. But both options result in it operating intermittently at the same frequency. Chris
-
Noisy air conditioning - are they all like this?
I've not noticed this myself... a daft question perhaps, but are the dashboard vents open? Chris
-
Skoda connect
My car also told me it was updating software today... but it was only the 'shop' bit of the infotainment system. In my experience the map database is updated in the background when you make a journey that ventures into an updated area, and I never see any warning that it is doing this. The only indication is when you check the system information screen and see the new date for the database. Chris
-
Skoda connect
Each to his own... but I wouldn't be without it, and as it's free for the first year what's the problem? But remember that without it, you don't get updates to the maps, online traffic info, details of local petrol prices, online route calculations etc. The only reason I can see for ignoring these features is if you never use the built-in satnav system. I also find the remote access features to link the car to the phone app very handy, as it passes on security warnings when the car alarm is activated. (So far this has only happened overnight, and has been triggered by a moth setting off the interior alarm, but it's still nice to know if someone is interfering with your car.) Chris
-
Skoda Karoq key battery number
Mine takes CR 2025s, and the type is printed inside the key itself. Chris
-
First aid kit
That must be part of the 'premium brand' marketing then, as VW and Skoda have never supplied first aid kits, warning triangles or hi-viz jackets in the UK in my experience. But at least we can have heated windscreens and umbrellas! With Brexit we're unlikely to join the EU safety requirements any time soon, so it's up to us to buy our own and transfer them from car to car with us. Chris
-
Current software versions for karoq infotainment
Skoda UK know all about the 48S5 Service Campaign, and dealers will follow its 'instructions' if owners report problems with false Travel Assist warnings. (They used to replace steering wheels as a cure but this procedure has now been superceded.) But it is not a 'Recall' and so will probably only be invoked when you report the fault (or perhaps when you have an annual service?) Chris
-
Current software versions for karoq infotainment
I'm assuming your car is a MY21 Karoq like mine, which gets minor software updates via its online data connection. (This means it will not have a SD card slot in the glovebox, and has 2 USB-C ports in the phonebox.) First of all, the main software is only updated by a dealer when he needs to cure a fault in the car, but if yours is version 0306, then you have more up to date software than me as my car is running version 0276! And this despite it having been in recently to have the Travel Assist bug cured. (Incidentally there is a current 'Service Campaign' 48S5 running to cute this problem, and you can find out if your car is affected by entering its VIN in this website - even though it is Australian! - VIN Checker | ŠKODA Australia (skoda.com.au) The map software in my car is currently on version 23.6 and tends to update itself automatically every few months. If your car has been sitting in a dealers for a while, then presumably it has not been updating itself, but it should update the maps by itself as you drive around (as long as you have a current Skoda Connect licence). Chris