Everything posted by CJJE
-
Navigation update
It sounds like you have a MIB2 Columbus system, and I believe their maps are updated by loading the new maps on an SD card then inserting this into an SD card slot so they can be transferred to the Columbus's built-in memory. (Does the owner's manual cover the procedure perhaps? Or is there a help file on the map update webpage?) The MIB3 systems were introduced for the MY21 cars from August 2020, (with an 'M' as the 10th character in the VIN.) Chris
-
Navigation update
If your car has the mini USB-C sockets and no SD card slot then you have the MIB3 system. I tried a manual update to the maps years ago, but never got the maps to load. Instead I buy a Skoda Connect licence each year when they're on a special offer, and find the maps are being updated automatically every month or so. I also find the traffic updates and warnings of delays invaluable. Chris
-
New UK brochure & specs 29th November 2022
Prices are the same as the October 2022 brochure, so presumably the option prices or availability have changed? Chris
-
Travel assist unavailable alarm
I had a warning on my car yesterday, which disappeared again after 10 minutes or so with no action by myself. As I had the steering wheel replaced last year to 'cure' this problem, I was interested to read in the Australian media than Skoda are now looking at a software update to solve this annoying problem. (It of course affects a wide range of Skoda and VW cars.) As I never use the Travel Assist feature, I'd be happy if they just deleted it! Chris
-
MIB3 Infotainment Updates Coming
I suspect that the updates won't be as wide reaching as you hope for. I read some time ago that new VAG cars were getting an improved MIB3 infotainment system, but that it would also include new more powerful hardware to improve its response times. And I also rejoice to see VAG abandoning its touchscreen controls to return to physical buttons, but the article only mentions changes to the steering wheel buttons which are fine on my Karoq. As a side-issue, I have been experimenting on using the voice control today, and find that I can use it to control the radio, media player, satnav and telephone, but not the climate control or heating systems as more recent cars are said to be able to do. Even so it can be a usable compromise. Chris
-
Retrofit SD Card slots in glovebox?
Assuming the 2021 Sportline has the same Bolero Satnav that mine has, the maps are updated through the online data connection and stored internally. Some people have succeeded in updating them via a USB-C port, but after some initial concerns I've never found the need as mine are updating quite happily every month or so. (Note you need to have a live Skoda Connect subscription to get the updates though.) I've ever had any problems storing my music on a tiny USB-C chip, ad leave it plugged in under the sliding phone socket all the time. It's one of these which can be plugged into a PC to add music files, then plugged into the car: MyMemory 256GB Dual USB-C & USB 3.1 Flash Drive - 200MB/s £38.98 - Free Delivery | MyMemory Chris
-
Karoq, Rear Wiper blades
I'm looking to replace my 2 year-old original with a 13" Bosch A3331H, but my local Halfords doesn't have one in stock... so I'll probably be buying one from Amazon. Chris
-
Decoding a Karoq's VIN
Updated for MY23 cars and non-European cars (with thanks to Varooom). All cars have a unique 17 character identity code – their Vehicle Identification Number or VIN. For Karoqs this is displayed at the bottom lefthand corner of the windscreen, on a sticker at the base of the middle body pillar, and stamped into the righthand suspension turret under the bonnet. It takes the form: TMB LJ7 NU 7J5 012345 and can be decoded as follows: The first 3 characters are XW8 for cars made in Russia, or TMB for cars made in other Skoda manufacturing plants. The 4th character tells you the chassis type: J = left-hand drive FWD, K = right-hand drive FWD, L = left-hand drive 4x4 and M = right-hand drive 4x4. The 5th character tells you the engine: C = 1.4 TSI 150 PS, E = 2.0 TSI 190PS, F = 2.0 TDI 115 PS, G = 1.6 TDI 115PS, H = 2.0 TDI 140 PS, J = 2.0 TDI 150PS, M = 2.0 TDI 190 PS, N = 1.6 MPI 110 PS (Russian market), P = 1.0 TSI 115PS, R = 1.5 TSI 150PS. In Europe, the 6th character tells you how many airbags the car has: 2 = 2 front airbags, 4 = 2 front and 2 side airbags, 5 = 2 fronts + 2 sides + 1 knee airbag, 6 = 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads, 7 = 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag, 8 = 2 front airbags + 4 sides + 2 heads, 9 = 2 front bags + 4 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag. (However in India, this character is used to show the month of manufacture: A = January. B = February, C = March, D = April, E = May, F = June, G = July, H = August, J = September, K = October, L = November, M = December.) The 7th and 8th character tell you the vehicle model: NU = the Karoq (2017 on). The 9th character is a check digit to validate the code. For European cars, the 10th character tells you the car's model year: J = MY2018 (ie manufactured between summer 2017 and summer 2018), K = MY2019 (ie manufactured between summer 2018 and summer 2019), L = MY2020 (ie manufactured between summer 2019 and summer 2020), M = MY2021 (ie manufactured between summer 2020 and summer 2021), N = MY2022 (ie manufactured between summer 2021 and summer 2022), P = MY2023 (ie manufactured between summer 2022 and summer 2023). (However in India this character tells you the year of manufacture: J = 2018, K = 2019, L = 2020, M = 2021, N = 2022, P = 2023. The 11th character tells you where your car was built: 0 to 4 = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia; 5 = Kvasiny, Czechia; 7 or 8 = Vrchlabi, Czechia; B = Solomonovo, Ukraine; C = Brataslava, Slovakia; H = Nizhny Novgorod, Russia; J = Osnabruck, Germany; K = Kaluga, Russia; N = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia. Then finally the 12th to 17th numbers are the unique production number for that production line and year. If anyone has a character in their VIN not listed above, please tell me so that I can update this guide. Thanks Chris
-
Decoding a Karoq's VIN
Updated for MY23 cars. All cars have a unique 17 character identity code – their Vehicle Identification Number or VIN. For Karoqs this is displayed at the bottom lefthand corner of the windscreen, on a sticker at the base of the middle body pillar, and stamped into the righthand suspension turret under the bonnet. It takes the form: TMB LJ7 NU 7J5 012345 and can be decoded as follows: The first 3 characters are TMB for Škoda cars. The 4th character tells you the chassis type: J = left-hand drive FWD, K = right-hand drive FWD, L = left-hand drive 4x4 and M = right-hand drive 4x4. The 5th character tells you the engine: E = 2.0 TSI 190PS, G = 1.6 TDI 115PS, J = 2.0 TDI 150PS, M = 2.0 TDI 190 PS, P = 1.0 TSI 115PS, R = 1.5 TSI 150PS. (Anyone know the code for the 2.0 TDI 115PS engine or Russian 1.6 MPI engines?) The 6th character tells you how many airbags the car has: 2 = 2 front airbags, 4 = 2 front and 2 side airbags, 5 = 2 fronts + 2 sides + 1 knee airbag, 6 = 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads, 7 = 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag, 8 = 2 front airbags + 4 sides + 2 heads, 9 = 2 front bags + 4 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag. The 7th and 8th character tell you the vehicle model: NU = the Karoq (2017 on). The 9th character is a check digit to validate the code. The 10th character tells you the car's model year: J = MY2018 (ie manufactured between summer 2017 and summer 2018), K = MY2019 (ie manufactured between summer 2018 and summer 2019), L = MY2020 (ie manufactured between summer 2019 and summer 2020), M = MY2021 (ie manufactured between summer 2020 and summer 2021), N = MY2022 (ie manufactured between summer 2021 and summer 2022), P = MY2023 (ie manufactured between summer 2022 and summer 2023). The 11th character tells you where your car was built: 0 to 4 = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia; 5 = Kvasiny, Czechia; 7 or 8 = Vrchlabi, Czechia; B = Solomonovo, Ukraine; H = Nizhny Novgorod, Russia; J = Osnabruck, Germany; K = Kaluga, Russia; N = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia. Then finally the 12th to 17th numbers are the unique production number for that production line and year. If anyone has a character in their VIN not listed above, please give me the details so I can update this guide. Thanks Chris
-
Maps
They are included in UK cars, but you will have to check with Skoda Spain to find out what should have been included with your car. What does your invoice say? Does your car have the Amundsen or Columbus infotainment system installed? (The Bolero looks similar but has no sat nav function.) Chris
-
No engine cover
There was a recall in April 2022 for many VAG cars with the 2.0TSI engine because the engine cover could become dislodged and overheat. This included the Kodiaq but not the Karoq for some reason. Perhaps Skoda have now decided to remove them all to avoid any fire problems until they can source one that is fire-resistant? Chris
-
Karoq Fuel Consumption
The September 21 Karoq brochure quotes the Sportline 2.0TSI WLTP fuel consumption as 35.3 - 34.5, while the April 22 brochure quotes 37.2 - 36.7. I seem to remember the MY22 press release mentioning some tweeks to the engine to reduce CO2 figures etc. Interestingly the facelifted Karoq which is claimed to have improved aerodynamics quotes 36.0 - 35.4 mpg. Chris
-
Karoq Fuel Consumption
Perhaps I should add that my car is a MY21 model, and Skoda claim improved fuel consumption for the MY22 cars. Chris
-
Karoq Fuel Consumption
Are you asking about the petrol 2.0TSI or the diesel 2.0TDI? I have the petrol Sportline 2.0 TSI DSG 4x4, and find my fuel consumption varies between the mid 30s (for 6 mile trips to the shops using a 50mph dual carriageway and 30 mph urban roads) and the mid 40s when cruising at 70 along quiet motorways on longer journeys. These are measured brim to brim when refilling the tank and not from the instrument panel readings which are invariably around 5% better. My records also show the fuel consumption is worse in winter, but the sure-footedness of the 4x4 system and the ready acceleration for overtaking make it very acceptable to me bearing in mind I'm not driving as many miles each year as I used to. Chris
-
£30 charge for Courtesy car!!!!
This presumably depends on your dealer, but from the sound of it you may not have a choice where you live. On my last two trips to my preferred dealer (one of three within 20 miles or so - although two are the same franchise) I was given a Karoq and a Kamiq. Admittedly both were fairly low trim levels and one was a manual gearbox, but they both served to get me home and later back to the dealers. I noted that both had dashcams fitted to detect any mad driving! There was no mention of any charge for the cars, Chris
-
Mystery Update?
These updates are usually minor tweeks to the 'shop' menu. Although my navigation database software updates itself every few months it doesn't seem to give me any prompts to download it. The main system software (versions 0276, 0302, 0304 etc) can only be downloaded and installed by a dealer as they are ginormous! Chris
-
Mystery fastening
The warning triangle I bought had the VAG part number 8KO 860 251 / 1Y0.093.055, and fits perfectly. It was quite expensive at £39 back in 2014, but is good quality. Chris
-
Mystery fastening
I transferred mine from my previous Golf SV, and actually bought it in an Audi dealers as they were the cheapest of my local VAG dealers. Chris
-
Petrol Lid Sticking
The filler cap locks when you lock the doors, and it's this solenoid that can stick when you unlock them. I've seen reports that you can force the lid open with a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth, but that breaks the plastic loop on the inside of the filler cap needing it all to be replaced. I've never experienced this problem myself, but seen suggestions that banging your hand on the bodywork by the filler cap may 'unstick' it. Chris
-
sos & triangle warning on dashboard
Only a dealer can update the car's main software, all we can do as drivers is to let the car update its maps and 'shop' function software. How old is your car? If it's got the SOS button on the roof above the interior mirror, is the led strip next to it green? (In my car it can be either green, red or off. (Green is OK, Red is faulty, and off shows it can't find a mobile signal.) There have been instances where the SOS fault system fails intermittently, with it working again when the car is next used. In my case, I was able to reset it by holding the power switch for the infotainment system down for 10 seconds, forcing it to reboot. But the permanent cure was to have the car's main software updated by my dealer from 0270 to 0276. (Later cars have higher version numbers for the software, and shouldn't experience the fault.) Dealers should treat this as a known fault and update the software for you, but it's a lengthy job so they don't want to do it unless the fault has occured. Chris
-
Travel assist unavailable alarm
The steering wheel is the home for the electronic control unit for the Travel Assist system, and I found that replacing this cured my problems with it. I also had a software update but I think this was connected with the loss of the SOS system rather than the Travel Assist. A dirty sensor on the windscreen or front grill can also stop the Travel Assist working, so are your faults connected with dusty conditions down under?? Chris
-
Mib3 map update
When I complained to Skoda UK about missing radio logos, and that I couldn't add my own with MIB3 like I used to be able to do, I was told that it was down to a licensing issue. (The file of radio logos on the update website still had many national radio stations missing - like Classic FM, Smooth etc.) So it would seem that MIB3 radios can't pick the logo up from the broadcast signal, and Skoda wouldn't pay to provide the logo itself. Now that explanation does seem a bit nonsensical to me as I'd have thought the radio stations would want their logo being displayed to advertise what you were listening to, but I still have gaps on my presets as a result. And I agree that you can still identify the presets, but they do look a bit odd with a mix of logos and names. I've even considered turning off all the logos just to make them consistent! Chris
-
Thule Roof Bars
They have a flat profile that fits on the top of the roof rail (with a flexible rubber section that flattens out) and the rubber strip under the roof rail pulls it down. So there is no 'claw' to fit under the roof rail. This shows them, but fitted to a wingbar :
-
Thule Roof Bars
I use Thule 775 feet on 127cm Aerobars, which are items I already had from my previous Golfs. (Note: the 775 is not a typo (!) for your 757 feet, they have a strap that runs under the roof rail and clasp the feet down onto the rail.) Chris
-
Loosing coolant
If it's not leaking from a hose, and visible on the ground under the car (but beware confusion with the water that drips from the aircon after use in hot temperatures), then it could be a failed gasket with the coolant leaking into the cylinders (expensive!!) How much coolant are you losing? Chris